By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DSi software is region-locked, Nintendo confirms

thekitchensink said:
NiKKoM said:

Gee.. why wont some of you read the article:

CVG’s just published a Nintendo statement apparently confirming that DSi software will be region-locked.

“DSi software (software that is only compatible with DSi) is region-locked, eg: European DSi software can only be played on European DSi consoles,” said a rep.

“I believe that just as you can currently buy a DS in Japan and use it here in the US, that you should be able to do that with DSi,” said the exec.
------------------------------

well that make sense.

Is it just me, or do these two statements contradict each other?

Dude don't do that, putting sentences out of context... the last part was a mistake by Dunaway, she didn't knew.. which they cleared up by this.. She was wrong.

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
wow it keeps getting worse....

DS will not be compatible with dual touch screen games
half battery life
region locking

Sorry but you can't post such ignorant comments and expect people to not tear you apart. Just a warning of things to come there buddy.

Think I'll stick with the DSLite for a few more years then.

NiKKoM said:
thekitchensink said:
NiKKoM said:

Gee.. why wont some of you read the article:

CVG’s just published a Nintendo statement apparently confirming that DSi software will be region-locked.

“DSi software (software that is only compatible with DSi) is region-locked, eg: European DSi software can only be played on European DSi consoles,” said a rep.

“I believe that just as you can currently buy a DS in Japan and use it here in the US, that you should be able to do that with DSi,” said the exec.
------------------------------

well that make sense.

Is it just me, or do these two statements contradict each other?

Dude don't do that, putting sentences out of context... the last part was a mistake by Dunaway, she didn't knew.. which they cleared up by this.. She was wrong.

My bad--missed the part where it said she was saying that o.O

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

I think people are overreacting. Retail games developed for the DS/DSI will still be region free. Downloadable games for the DSI will be region protected just like the Virtual Console. That is all.

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba

Around the Network
Grey Acumen said:
O-D-C said:
Game Boy = Nintendo DS
Game Boy Pocket = Nintendo DS Lite
Game Boy Color = Nintendo DSi

am I right or?

No, because there weren't any GB games that couldn't be played on a GBC. With the DSi, you lose at LEAST one major game franchise.

Grey

Are you talking about the loss of GBA games on the DSi or am I missing something?

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

mike_intellivision said:
Grey Acumen said:
O-D-C said:
Game Boy = Nintendo DS

am I right or?

No, because there weren't any GB games that couldn't be played on a GBC. With the DSi, you lose at LEAST one major game franchise.

Grey

Are you talking about the loss of GBA games on the DSi or am I missing something?

Mike from Morgantown

I think he meant Guitar Hero, but I could be wrong.

mike_intellivision said:
Grey Acumen said:
O-D-C said:
Game Boy = Nintendo DS

am I right or?

Grey

Mike from Morgantown

I think he's talking about not being able to play Guitar Hero DS on the DSi, but I have a strong feeling Activision will release a new peripheral for DSi, or further games in the franchise will have a way to be compatible with both.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Chrizum said:
theprof00 said:
wow it keeps getting worse....

DS will not be compatible with dual touch screen games
half battery life
region locking

Sorry but you can't post such ignorant comments and expect people to not tear you apart. Just a warning of things to come there buddy.

HA! I've read not less than 5 stories about the dsi and they all said dual touch screen including (or so i thought) one that was on our very own front page headlines!!

MY BAD!!!! :P

I am a victim of the headless internet monster, however

EVEN with no dual touch screens I am still disappointed that some song writer named rick astley is the new ds spokesman, imho the song he wrote for the ds campaign doesn't have anything to do with the ds, it's more like a love song, and its horribly shot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0&feature=related

this is worse than dual touch screens.

thekitchensink said:
mike_intellivision said:
Grey Acumen said:
O-D-C said:
Game Boy = Nintendo DS

am I right or?

Grey

Mike from Morgantown

I think he's talking about not being able to play Guitar Hero DS on the DSi, but I have a strong feeling Activision will release a new peripheral for DSi, or further games in the franchise will have a way to be compatible with both.

In a word, yes. However, my feelings are much the opposite of yours. I don't think they'll release a peripheral for the DSi, mainly because I just don't see how you could possibly hook one up. The SD card is in the side of the thing, and screenshots so far haven't shown anything on the base of the DSi that could be used for that, plus it would mean Nintendo designed the thing to accomidate what is currently a single game made by a 3rd party developer. I may be a huge Nintendo fan, but I'm not going to kid myself about their priorities; They look out for numero uno first and let 3rd parties conform to them.

I could be wrong though. It's only been announced less than a week ago, and they haven't even told us about processing power, only that it doesn't play GBA games, it has 2 cameras, an SD slot in the side, and still only has 1 touch screen. It's entirely possible that they have some sort of expansion port that they haven't told us about.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her