By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DSi software is region-locked, Nintendo confirms

Gee.. why wont some of you read the article:

CVG’s just published a Nintendo statement apparently confirming that DSi software will be region-locked.

“DSi software (software that is only compatible with DSi) is region-locked, eg: European DSi software can only be played on European DSi consoles,” said a rep.

“Nintendo DS software however is region free so you can play any DS software on DSi from any region. You can also browse the Internet on your DSi wherever you are in the world and exchange your photos with friends from around the world.”

The company added by way of explanation: “DSi is region-locked because DSi embeds net communication functionality within itself and we are intending to provide net services specifically tailored for each region.

“Also because we are including parental control functionality for Nintendo DSi and each region has its unique age limit made by different independent.”

This clarifies a statement made by Cammie Dunaway to Wired after the DSi announcement last week that the console “should” be region-free.

“I believe that just as you can currently buy a DS in Japan and use it here in the US, that you should be able to do that with DSi,” said the exec.
------------------------------

well that make sense.

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

... what? That seriously pisses me off. DSi -1!

NiKKoM said:

Gee.. why wont some of you read the article:

CVG’s just published a Nintendo statement apparently confirming that DSi software will be region-locked.

“DSi software (software that is only compatible with DSi) is region-locked, eg: European DSi software can only be played on European DSi consoles,” said a rep.

“I believe that just as you can currently buy a DS in Japan and use it here in the US, that you should be able to do that with DSi,” said the exec.
------------------------------

well that make sense.

Is it just me, or do these two statements contradict each other?

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

ok, just answer one question for me.
this scenario

I have an American DSi. A game comes out in Japan that I want to play. I buy and import game. I can't play that on my DSi?

Phoenix_Wiight said:
ok, just answer one question for me.
this scenario

I have an American DSi. A game comes out in Japan that I want to play. I buy and import game. I can't play that on my DSi?

Yep. That is the definition of region locked. However, I *think* that if you had an american DS and the new game came out in Japan and it wasn't one of the probably few games that can only be played on a DSi you should still be able to import it.

Around the Network

Game Boy = Nintendo DS
Game Boy Pocket = Nintendo DS Lite
Game Boy Color = Nintendo DSi

am I right or?

Really, I would only expect a couple of camera-based games to be DSi-exclusive, anyway--it doesn't offer any other hardware boosters other than the flash memory, which will be used for downloadable games and pictures. There may be a few exclusive downloadable games, but I expect it to me more like how you can download full games onto the PSP (DS games are smaller so they don't need as much space).

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

wow it keeps getting worse....

DS will not be compatible with dual touch screen games
half battery life
region locking

O-D-C said:
Game Boy = Nintendo DS
Game Boy Pocket = Nintendo DS Lite
Game Boy Color = Nintendo DSi

am I right or?

No, because there weren't any GB games that couldn't be played on a GBC. With the DSi, you lose at LEAST one major game franchise.

theprof00 said:
wow it keeps getting worse....

DS will not be compatible with dual touch screen games
half battery life
region locking

BLEAAARGH! There is no dual touch screen! there's still only a single touch screen, just like the DS!

GREY SMASH!

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Lol. The DSi is becoming more of a failure with every day.

Stick with your Lites people!