By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Activision blames Nintendo for Goldeneye not being released

meehan666 said:

Please, Halo is an IP that is owned by MS fully, furthermore, it is Xbox's flagship title, like Mario and Zelda are to Nintendo. You can't compare all that with Goldeneye, which at this point, belongs to a few parties, which really means it belongs to no one anymore.

We are going in circles with this, however, looking at the situation as a whole, a product is ready to make money for all the companies in question and yet remains on the shelf. From Nintendos perspective, they are playing with house money since they get to generate revenue from a game they didn't pay to develope. For MS they have the best version of the game but they also paid for it out of their own pockets. Nintendo is I guess holding out trying to get MS to also fund Wii development, but that is very far fetched considering Rare don't develope for Wii and the cost to MS for such a project might not be returned in game sales. Thus, no one is making any money off of a product ready to be sold; how thats a win for any of parties associated here is beyond me.

The example is fine. It is an IP that Microsoft owns. Nintendo (and others) own the Goldeneye IP. Just because it belongs to multiple people does not mean it suddenly is up for grabs. By that logic blu-ray should have no licensing fees since 12ish companies own the rights to it. And Nintendo easily has a win in this one. Goldeneye would make the 360 a more appealing game console to some consumers. Why would Nintendo ever want that? Microsoft is asking them to sign off on a competitive advantage which is just dumb. Just because some programmers were stupid enough to make a game they could not release doesn't mean Nintendo is obliged to hurt themselves by helping a competitor.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network
Gnizmo said:

meehan666 said:

Please, Halo is an IP that is owned by MS fully, furthermore, it is Xbox's flagship title, like Mario and Zelda are to Nintendo. You can't compare all that with Goldeneye, which at this point, belongs to a few parties, which really means it belongs to no one anymore.

We are going in circles with this, however, looking at the situation as a whole, a product is ready to make money for all the companies in question and yet remains on the shelf. From Nintendos perspective, they are playing with house money since they get to generate revenue from a game they didn't pay to develope. For MS they have the best version of the game but they also paid for it out of their own pockets. Nintendo is I guess holding out trying to get MS to also fund Wii development, but that is very far fetched considering Rare don't develope for Wii and the cost to MS for such a project might not be returned in game sales. Thus, no one is making any money off of a product ready to be sold; how thats a win for any of parties associated here is beyond me.

The example is fine. It is an IP that Microsoft owns. Nintendo (and others) own the Goldeneye IP. Just because it belongs to multiple people does not mean it suddenly is up for grabs. By that logic blu-ray should have no licensing fees since 12ish companies own the rights to it. And Nintendo easily has a win in this one. Goldeneye would make the 360 a more appealing game console to some consumers. Why would Nintendo ever want that? Microsoft is asking them to sign off on a competitive advantage which is just dumb. Just because some programmers were stupid enough to make a game they could not release doesn't mean Nintendo is obliged to hurt themselves by helping a competitor.

The example isn't fine at all. Microsoft owns Halo fully. Even if Nintendo bought Bungie, they could not get Halo. Goldeneye is shared. Furthermore, its old and doesn't have the market appeal that Halo does. And speaking on that, yeah, with Gears 2, Banjo, Fable 2 and Left 4 Dead due out soon I am sure the game on xbox everyone is dying for is a remake of a decade old classic (not even taking into account this is the xbox 360 - the shooter console)........no I think goldeneye, if it did come out, enhanced or not, would have a minimal impact on the balance of power in the console landscape.  

Anyone blaming Nintendo for this needs to blame the source, Rare/MS. This is equivalent to a mod team developing a port/enhanced version of a classic on a modern engine and not having the foresight to get the license holder's permission before committing their resources to the product. Ball and bitch all they want, they dug their own hole - not Nintendo.

meehan666 said:

The example isn't fine at all. Microsoft owns Halo fully. Even if Nintendo bought Bungie, they could not get Halo. Goldeneye is shared. Furthermore, its old and doesn't have the market appeal that Halo does. And speaking on that, yeah, with Gears 2, Banjo, Fable 2 and Left 4 Dead due out soon I am sure the game on xbox everyone is dying for is a remake of a decade old classic (not even taking into account this is the xbox 360 - the shooter console)........no I think goldeneye, if it did come out, enhanced or not, would have a minimal impact on the balance of power in the console landscape. 

The example is fine. Nintendo owns the rights to Goldeneye (or at least enough for veto power of the game) and Halo 2 is an old game with a sequel already out. But I will approach this from a different stand point since you don't seem to follow the analogy.

How does it benefit Nintendo to release the game on the competitions system? It does not at all. Now there is an offer for the old version of the game, but Nintendo clearly stands to gain more by getting the remake that is already done. The competition getting the remake gives the competitor a selling point, and more money for every game sold. Neither of those are good. Further, the remakes existence will hurt the appeal of the old version appearing on the Virtual Console. Accepting anything less than an equivalent product is the same as making a good game for the system and gimping your own port. Nintendo owns the rights, and thus has the right to demand an equivalent version.

Gnizmo said:

meehan666 said:

The example is fine. Nintendo owns the rights to Goldeneye (or at least enough for veto power of the game) and Halo 2 is an old game with a sequel already out. But I will approach this from a different stand point since you don't seem to follow the analogy.

How does it benefit Nintendo to release the game on the competitions system? It does not at all. Now there is an offer for the old version of the game, but Nintendo clearly stands to gain more by getting the remake that is already done. The competition getting the remake gives the competitor a selling point, and more money for every game sold. Neither of those are good. Further, the remakes existence will hurt the appeal of the old version appearing on the Virtual Console. Accepting anything less than an equivalent product is the same as making a good game for the system and gimping your own port. Nintendo owns the rights, and thus has the right to demand an equivalent version.

Enough with Halo, it has no place in this discussion. Halo is a series that is very much alive (even the old Halo 2 had almost 13000 players on live the last 24 hours) with many sequels and new projects coming around. Goldeneye is a long dead title with no future prospects.

Yes, the competitors enhanced version might sell better (there are more to sales than software quality ie marketing, traffic on live arcade vs virtual console etc) however, they had to pay the cost for development, so their profit margin is not necessarily higher even if their version of the game sells more.  In this sense, it is better for Nintendo to just take what they can get. Right now, as it stands, they are making nothing on the game. If the deal goes through as is, they would at least make some money on it. Maybe their version wouldn't sell as much as MS's version, but they don't have development costs to recover, unlike MS.  

Around the Network

meehan666 said:

Enough with Halo, it has no place in this discussion. Halo is a series that is very much alive (even the old Halo 2 had almost 13000 players on live the last 24 hours) with many sequels and new projects coming around. Goldeneye is a long dead title with no future prospects.

Yes, the competitors enhanced version might sell better (there are more to sales than software quality ie marketing, traffic on live arcade vs virtual console etc) however, they had to pay the cost for development, so their profit margin is not necessarily higher even if their version of the game sells more.  In this sense, it is better for Nintendo to just take what they can get. Right now, as it stands, they are making nothing on the game. If the deal goes through as is, they would at least make some money on it. Maybe their version wouldn't sell as much as MS's version, but they don't have development costs to recover, unlike MS.

I realyl can't believe you are this dense. How can you hit the point so well but completely miss it. Halo 2 would never be ported because despite the fact that Microsoft could make plenty of money off of the royalties, Nintendo would see the biggest bonus. For the exact same reasons Nintendo should not allow a game to appear on the 360. If you don't get that, then you probably need to brush up on the very basics of business.

Gnizmo said:

meehan666 said:

I realyl can't believe you are this dense. How can you hit the point so well but completely miss it. Halo 2 would never be ported because despite the fact that Microsoft could make plenty of money off of the royalties, Nintendo would see the biggest bonus. For the exact same reasons Nintendo should not allow a game to appear on the 360. If you don't get that, then you probably need to brush up on the very basics of business.

I am sorry, but you seem to live in a fantasy land where software development is performed by waving a magical wand. Reality check, the most expensive resource on a project is the developers time. It is for that reason that many projects are selected or scrapped. Porting Halo 2 to make it work on a Wii would cost development time(amount other things); money that may or may not be recovered in sales. Porting the enhanced version of goldeneye to Wii would cost dev time; money that would be a total loss for MS and a massive gain for Nintendo if Rare does the work. You seem to be keen on arguing Nintendos side; why the hell would Microsoft ever agree to your take on the situation, I mean they have just as much veto power as Nintendo in this? Like I said, MS already spent the money to make THEIR enhanced version, why should they spend more to develope a game for a rival console? If Nintendo want an enhanced version, they should develope it, I mean, who knows their hardware better than their developers? Perhaps that is the hold up in all this, Nintendo don't feel that potential sales of an enhanced version of the game on their platform would cover their costs of development; thus they are trying to hold out in hopes MS will foot the bill.

Microsoft is not going to give Nintendo the work they did on the enhanced version. Yes, they would make money if they did, but it would benefit Nintendo more.

Nintendo is not going to give Microsoft the right to publish a game that they hold some legal right to. Yes, they would make money if they did, but it would benefit Microsoft more.

Got it?

"You can never jump away from Conclusions. Getting back is not so easy. That's why we're so terribly crowded here."

Canby - The Phantom Tollbooth

meehan666 said:

I am sorry, but you seem to live in a fantasy land where software development is performed by waving a magical wand. Reality check, the most expensive resource on a project is the developers time. It is for that reason that many projects are selected or scrapped. Porting Halo 2 to make it work on a Wii would cost development time(amount other things); money that may or may not be recovered in sales. Porting the enhanced version of goldeneye to Wii would cost dev time; money that would be a total loss for MS and a massive gain for Nintendo if Rare does the work. You seem to be keen on arguing Nintendos side; why the hell would Microsoft ever agree to your take on the situation, I mean they have just as much veto power as Nintendo in this? Like I said, MS already spent the money to make THEIR enhanced version, why should they spend more to develope a game for a rival console? If Nintendo want an enhanced version, they should develope it, I mean, who knows their hardware better than their developers? Perhaps that is the hold up in all this, Nintendo don't feel that potential sales of an enhanced version of the game on their platform would cover their costs of development; thus they are trying to hold out in hopes MS will foot the bill.

In my example you seemed to have not read I specified that Nintendo had taken the development cost on themselves. Try and read what you are arguing against before calling it a bad analogy. It makes your argueent much stronger.

It is not Nintendo's fault Microsoft was stupid enough to develop a game they can't publish. The cost sunk into it is absolutely meaningless to this conversation. The cost to port it over to the Wii is equally meaningless to this conversation. If they are unwilling to spend the money to do it, then they should not have started to make the game. Microsoft should spend more because they are the ones that have already spent money on it, thus have the greatest incentive to spend more. Nintendo is in the position of power here because Rare jumped the gun (if this rumor is true) and made a game that can't legally be sold.

Lapsed gamers explanation is perfect really. Neither side is truely to blame since both are simply making the most logical business decision.

I dont think you get it at all meehan...you are truly a noob in the original sense

you see...Nintendo has been in to WIN since DS ...Wii also..no losses..only gain

why the HELL would they ALLOW MS to release an enhanced version of goldeneye..
so they can release the classis version

if they CLEARLY do NOT need their money!

VC is a goldmine! so is the Wii..DS, DS games, Wii Games..WIiWare etc etc

they do not NEED this game..it would make no money in comparison to the money they make NOW

why would they allow MS to make some more money

MS clearly needs this game way more than Nintendo does..