By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sin and Punishment 2 is a dream come true (rhymes!) With Screens.

@ okeydokey & The_vagabond7

Ocarina, mario 64 etc definetly aren't technically visually stunning anymore...but they visuals dont harm the classic gamplay. I was looking forward to playing this on the VC as I never could before but the visuals make the later levels hard to play as you can't tell what you're shooting at.

Around the Network

http://wii.ign.com/articles/824/824126p1.html

there is the review of the VC version of Sin and Punishment. Even after all these years they gave it a 9.0.

here is the review for everyone that doesn't feel like clicking the link.

October 2, 2007 - It only took them seven years. It only took them since the fall of 2000, seven years ago, to finally recognize the American demand for Sin & Punishment, and to finally do something about it. This critically acclaimed, import-only N64 shooter was praised upon release for its frenetic, high-energy action, addictive, arcade-like gameplay and mature, non-normal-Nintendo storyline. And it earned itself a fervent following that patiently awaited a localized release – but it never came. Even though the game seemed perfectly suited for store shelves in the States, and even though it already included English-language voice acting, it never came. It stayed in Japan.

For seven years. But now, in an incredibly wise and likely profitable decision by NOA, the sins of the past are being repented for with this new, updated release of Sin & Punishment for the American Virtual Console. Updated, because this isn't exactly the same game that Japan first got back at the end of the N64 era – it's been retouched and enhanced with English-language menus, tutorials and in-game notices. It's been localized. And, as a result, waiting seven years just might have been worth it.

Sin & Punishment is set in the world of the future – in the year 2007. Heh. And in this world of the future, mankind has come under assault from a race of genetically mutated animal insects called the Ruffians. The Ruffians are being opposed by the entire planet's military forces, but through a series of failed splicing experiments many of the soldiers and commanders who first fought against the mutants have become corrupted, and now side loyally with them. You, then, are a rebellious freedom fighter named Saki who's out to stop both the animal mutant alien insects and the mutant military insect animal commandoes. Or something like that. It's all very ridiculous to try to keep up with, because it's all very scattered and anime-inspired.

As is, too, the gameplay. Sin & Punishment was published by Nintendo, but developed by Treasure – so it's packed to overflowing with that studio's signature style of constantly swarming crowds of enemies, endless amounts of ammunition and more simultaneous on-screen action than you could possible hope your brain to process all at once. And it's a blast. Each level of S&P is such a sensory overload that you won't quite care that you're missing minor details – you'll be too focused on frying everything in sight.

With your gun, and with your sword. Saki wields both weapons as he runs constantly forward along an on-rails path, while you jump, double jump and roll to avoid obstacles and enemy attacks. The gun is your primary method of assault, as you can either guide its blasts around the screen freely or set it to lock-on to the nearest enemy threat. The sword is meant mostly for defense and deflection, as missiles that stray too near to you can be bounced back with a well-timed melee strike.

The controls were complex to comprehend back on the N64, and the shift to the Virtual Console doesn't make it any more intuitive to pick up your pad and dive into the action – but with a little practice and patience, playing Sin & Punishment with the Wii Classic Controller works out just fine. You handle Saki's movement with the D-Pad, while simultaneously positioning your gun's aiming cursor with either the left or right Control Stick. Firing the gun and swinging the sword are mapped to the L Button, jumping's on R, and the A Button swaps you between free fire and lock-on cursor modes.

It's confusing at first, but the game's tutorial mode (freshly translated into English for this VC version) introduces each function one at a time – and you'll quickly pick up the particulars with a playthrough of Easy Mode. That's the default difficulty setting, and it gives you the chance to blaze through the adventure without too much trouble. You may die a few times trying to figure out the tricks to certain bosses, or from running out of time, but those issues won't really be a problem for you until you dive straight into the much more intense challenge of Normal Mode, or the pull-your-hair-out madness of Turbo Hard.

The only major complaint to lodge against this addictive, incomprehensible, anime action experience is that it's over in about the same amount of time as it would take to watch four episodes of your favorite Japanese cartoon. There are three distinct story arcs to the game's plot, and each plays quickly, and it's game over after the third is done. This could be encouraging for players who like to play their shooters over and over again in quick succession, trying to best their previous scores, but most gamers would likely prefer some more content here – even another small handful of levels would have helped the feel of the game's overall length considerably.

Closing Comments
Did you give in? Did you give up hope? Are you one of the loyal fans from seven years ago who got fed up with waiting and just bit the bullet, paying to import an actual N64 cartridge of the Japanese version of Sin & Punishment? If you did, and that's you, well – well done. We're not going to fault you for that, as you likely had a blast experiencing the game in its original edition. But for you, along with all the other gamers who've never yet experienced S&P, we're still going to recommend an immediate download. Invest 1200 Wii Points here, and do it quickly.

Because Sin & Punishment is an N64 masterpiece, the hardware swansong that Americans never got to hear. And because here on the Virtual Console it looks better and is more accessible than ever before – its newly translated menus and training modes are the first sign of Nintendo taking the time to make a positive revision to an existing retro title before making it available in the Wii Shop, and that it's even been made available at all speaks volumes for the potential of countless other games in the Big N's back catalog that never got the chance to come to the States. Download Sin & Punishment not just because you'll be getting an outstanding game, but also because you'll be voicing your support for the addition of more import titles to the Virtual Console in the future. Nintendo's made a wise decision in offering this product to American gamers, finally, after such a long time. Let's just hope they keep it up, and that we don't have to wait for the next major import release for another seven years.

9.0 Presentation
Talking psychic cat things, American military officers injecting themselves with the blood of Japanese schoolgirls, monsters and aircraft carriers. Wonderfully mad.
9.0 Graphics
Crisp, clean and attractive thanks to the Virtual Console's natural upgrade of N64 titles. Sin & Punishment is low on polygons, but high on style.
8.0 Sound
"Get Bonus!" Crazed voice acting, in English, paired with a solid soundtrack and tons of explosion, collision and beast-crying sound effects.
9.5 Gameplay
Sin & Punishment is Star Fox 64 and Gunstar Heroes slammed together, and will appeal to fans of both and neither. The controls take some getting used to.
7.0 Lasting Appeal
The real sin is that the game isn't any longer than it is. But the replay value is enhanced with the multiple difficulty modes, and it's a conversation piece as part of your Wii's Channel array.
Outstanding
OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

It didn't look that bad to me even for N64.. but that's just me =.=;

This game seems interesting though... I only got into Monster Hunter because I was shocked that it wasn't linked to Monster Rancher which in turn initially had me believing Monster Hunter was a poke'mon clone due to the similarity in nouns as in relation Monster Hunter has the word Monster in it's name and any core Poke'mon fan knows that "mon" in Poke'mon stands for Monster and "Poke" stands for Pocket or Pocket Monster.

In the end I only really got into MH series after playing the first one. I enjoyed it and now I can't have enough, saddened my heart to start playing it only after the online servers went down. I was almost willing to purchase a PSP to play this game, but I considered that I rarely play my DS as is, I've really no time for hand helds lately...

Either way I'm going to say that the enthusiasm being shown in the OP is from a similar experience except with Sin and Punishment.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

disolitude said:

Ocarina, mario 64 etc definetly aren't technically visually stunning anymore...but they visuals dont harm the classic gamplay. I was looking forward to playing this on the VC as I never could before but the visuals make the later levels hard to play as you can't tell what you're shooting at.

Sorry, Not once did I have that problem. All the enemies are clear and distinct. I never had a problem figuring out what was trying to kill me, and what wasn't.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Check youtube for vids. After just watching some level 2 action i was really impressed by how the camera moved changing the game from a top down, space type shoot em up , to a 3rd person perspective and entirely fluid as well.

Looks like it would be worth downloading 4 sure.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

I guess I'll try the game out when I get back, I got about 400 dollars in wii point cards that someone has to enter and well yea... (I refuse to let my Wii point card drought happen ever again, took me a month to find some when Mlaak came out.)

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

The_vagabond7 said:
disolitude said:

Sorry, Not once did I have that problem. All the enemies are clear and distinct. I never had a problem figuring out what was trying to kill me, and what wasn't.

This is what the first levellooks like...and it only gets more action packed form here. My feeling was that the game goes for visual overload on a system that can't handle it. Maybe if you played it back then and the replayed it now this looks clear...

That does it. Follow me to the Virtual Console.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Has anything official been said about S & P 2 being released here in the U.S.?...I mean, if the original was translated and released on the VC, I´d assume the sequel is indeed getting a Western release.

disolitude said:
The_vagabond7 said:
disolitude said:

This is what the first levellooks like...and it only gets more action packed form here. My feeling was that the game goes for visual overload on a system that can't handle it. Maybe if you played it back then and the replayed it now this looks clear...

? That's perfectly distinct and clear. Can you not tell which are the enemies and which are the flaming structures in that screen? And I never played it til the virtual console.