By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Should the PSP be viewed as a succes or a failure?

naznatips said:
The PSP's game library isn't bad at all if you like shooters, racers, and sports games. It has some really great little gems too, you unfortunately have to sort of dig for them though, as they are covered by crap. In fact, some of the best PSP games never even get shelf space in major stores, which is unfortunate :(. I like my PSP, but I really do wish there were more games on it.

Here is a list of good PSP games that are not shooters, racers and sports games for your satisfaction (I'll leave out games that are also on the DS):

Sid Meier's Pirates (Strategy)

Crush (Platformer/Puzzle solver)

Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters (Platformer)

Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure (RPG)

PQ2: Practical Intelligence Quotient (Puzzle)

After Burner: Black Falcon (Air Combat)

Dungeon Maker: Hunting Grounds (RPG/Dungeon Maker)

Tekken: Dark Resurrection (Fighting)

Daxter (Platformer)

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (Action/Stealth)

Lumines and Lumines II (Puzzle)

Mega Man: Powered Up (2D Platformer)

Twisted Metal: Head On (Car Combat)

Field Commander (Turn Based Strategy)

Mercury Meltdown (Puzzle)

Metal Gear Acid 1 and 2 (Turn Based Strategy and Card Combat)

Tokobot (Platformer) Really underappeciated game, try it!

Darkstalker Chronicle (2D Fighter)

WTF (Puzzle)

Pursuit Force (Car Combat)

Exit (Puzzle/Platformer) Instant classic.

Kingdom of Paradise (Action)

Archer Maclean's Mercury (Puzzle)

Guitaroo Man Lives! (Rythm)

Locoroco (2d Platformer)

Guilty Gear Judgment (Fighting)

Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth (RPG)

Armored Core: Formula Front (Mech Combat)

Power Stone Collection (Fighting)

Popolocrois (RPG)

Worms: Open Warfare (Turn Based Strategy)

Every Extend Extra (Technically a shooter, but not the kind you are thinking about, it's a rythm shoot 'em up)

Also, Parappa the Rapper and Tales of Radiata are coming out this week so you should check those.

Coming up there are a lot of big PSP games too, I can send you the list if you want just ask in a private message :)

Hope this list helps you on your quest for good PSP games.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network
Deguello said:
I think another often cited but little proven "fact" of the PSP's "success" is the notion that Sony is making a profit on the PSP. I have yet to ever see this being the case and in fact hear stories to the contrary, as poor game sales and loss leader strategies combined with the PS3's failure to take off led to their recent Games Division loss.

Can you show me somewhere where it says that the PSP is currently being sold at a loss for Sony? I'm curious.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Deguello said:
I think another often cited but little proven "fact" of the PSP's "success" is the notion that Sony is making a profit on the PSP. I have yet to ever see this being the case and in fact hear stories to the contrary, as poor game sales and loss leader strategies combined with the PS3's failure to take off led to their recent Games Division loss.

On the other hand, I have yet to see proven fact that the PSP was costing more to make than they sold them for on release apart from floated around rumours!?

Thinking sensibly.  If the PSP was still making a loss, then why reduce the cost of the unit significantly 2 years after it's release meaning it would still be making a loss and a bigger loss at that. 

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

The PSP is a success without a question, the only question is how much of a success will it turn out to be? The PSP still has a chance to be one of the best selling game devices of all time. It is just a matter of weather or not Sony wants to step up and make it happen. IMO if sony would have launched a itunes like service on day one with the PSP the DS would have been killed right their. The problem is Sony put the PSP out their and let a lot of the tech in the system go to waiste. The PSPs multimedia never really took off, and therefore the PSP delevered nothing new to the consumer over the gameboy. Sure if you are like a complete tech guy you could make use of the PSP and make it somthing the DS can not compete with, but that is not the way of the casual crowed. I believe that now with the PS3 out Sony is ready to start using the PSP the way it should have been the last three years. The new PSP will sell a few systems just because its new again. If PS3 conectivity really starts rolling the PSP has is stron

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

davygee said:
Deguello said:

On the other hand, I have yet to see proven fact that the PSP was costing more to make than they sold them for on release apart from floated around rumours!?

Thinking sensibly. If the PSP was still making a loss, then why reduce the cost of the unit significantly 2 years after it's release meaning it would still be making a loss and a bigger loss at that.

But isn't that what the PS3 encountered? A price reduction while the console is being manufactured at a loss seven months into its lifespan?

Edit: Not that I think the PSP is actually selling at a loss.

Around the Network
your mother said:
davygee said:
Deguello said:

Thinking sensibly. If the PSP was still making a loss, then why reduce the cost of the unit significantly 2 years after it's release meaning it would still be making a loss and a bigger loss at that.

But isn't that what the PS3 encountered? A price reduction while the console is being manufactured at a loss seven months into its lifespan?

Again, there is no proven fact that Sony are making a loss per sold PS3.  All reports are pointing towards a profit with the reduction of Blu-Ray production costs and lack of EE etc.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Yeah, I hardly call $30 off of the price of the PSP "significant" Davygee.

In my eyes, the PSP failed. When I bought one I thought," All right this is gonna be awesome!" I opened it up, popped in Star Wars Battlefront 2, and played it for about a week. Months later, I bought GTA: Liberty City Stories. Played it for another week. I rarely listen to music on the PSP because I can't make a playlist. UMD movies are too expensive. Some games are $50. That is way too much for a handheld game. The battery life sucks ass.

Ckmlb, I looked at your list and yawned. The only game that interests me is Worms: Open Warfare. I have Ratchet and Clank, but it was good for about a week as well. Never did like MGS.

vizunary said:
Biggerboat said:

If the video output was for all models then I'd think it would have a bigger impact but as far as I'm aware it's just the Lite. Also whilst a nice feature I don't think it'll be a system seller and would again possibly have little effect on game sales. The thing I don't get about Sony making a more efficient model is that the've put in a less powerful battery meaning that even though it eats less power the new PSP will have just as short a play length per charge as before! Incredible decision! Maybe Sony will make some dough on media downloads but if that scene is anything like the gaming one on the system then most PSP owners will be getting their fix illegally.

Who said that the battery wasn't gonna last longer or even as long in the new PSP? Please provide a link if you wish to talk straight from your ass, thanks.

It's not a failure if that's your argument. From the data that can be gathered on this website(I'm not gonna dig around, this topic is OLD and rehashed a few times over) the PSP, h/w wise, has outsold the following:

Xbox

GC

N64(not sure, the number here is REAL low, is it right, anyone?)

SNES(???)

PS1

Saturn

DC

WS

WSC

GB(this can't be right, are some numbers missing or what???)

Ngage

Xbox360

and finally.....

the Wii

I just got the numbers off the charts here, I'm sure some of them are wrong or whatever but you get the point. Also, with the "surge" of new wiiboys here, take a f&cking joke when you see one and don't bother flaming me.

If anyone can clarify on a few of those numbers I'd appreciate it. The SNES, GB, and N64 numbers seem off, anyone know what's up?

oh, and what's a WS and WSC? I can't think of it right now. dee dee dee

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/16/manual-reveals-some-details-on-newly-redesigned-psp-lite/ is where I read the battery info.

"The 1200mAh battery is rated at 3-6 hours, the same as the original PSP's 1800mAh battery (good news: more efficient, bad news: same overall runtime)"

If this article is proved inaccurate I'll concede the point. You must also remember that with the full speed of the CPU now being available to devs, gams taking advantage will eat through battery life so new games on the PSP Lite may have less play time than before!

Also why must you go by harware sales to determine success when the most important part of the games industry is, well, games, that's where the money is made and that's what keeps developers interested. Come back when PSP has outsold the software of those platforms, well the respectable ones anyway,  then we'll talk. By the way the Wii already has the PSP beat on million+ sellers totals even though it has less than half the install base and a fraction of time on the market!

I have yet to see any evidence that Sony has made money on PSP.

Hus said:

Grow up and stop trolling.

davygee said:
your mother said:

Again, there is no proven fact that Sony are making a loss per sold PS3. All reports are pointing towards a profit with the reduction of Blu-Ray production costs and lack of EE etc.

OK, it would make sense that  Sony has managed to trim manufacturing costs by now for the PS3, but a whopping 50%?

When it first launched, it was selling for something like 240$ under cost. That would be quite a feat.

I think the whether the PSP is a success or not won't be known until the PSP2 comes out. The PSP was launched when the playstation name was at it's peak. Assuming the PS3 doesn't make a remarkable comeback then we will see with the PSP2 whether or not it can sell on it's own merits instead of being carried by the playstation brand.