By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Should the PSP be viewed as a succes or a failure?

The low attach rate is really depressing and if I watch my brother he haves 45 games but not any of them are legal and the same with his friends.

Around the Network

the PSP is successful, theres no way around that. Its the only handheld to ever take away piece of Nintendo's dominance of the handheld market.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

sucess for sure - its the best handheld i ever owned

Playstation Network - Abrader

I know a lot of people said it is a failure because it make little/no money. But wasn't that the whole point of the original xBox, to lose money, but to help it's successor. If the xBox had only sold say 10mil, how many sale do you think the 360 would have lost? Fact of the matter is, Sony has a userbase of 20mil for when PSP2 comes out. Also in reagrdto piracy, I know no one personally who uses pirated games for either their PSP or DS. As I've heard you can get pirtated games for your DS just as easily. Perhaps the reason I don't know anyone that does it, is becuase most of us here in the UK are law abiding :P or maybe not...

One person's experience or opinion never shows the general consensus

PSN ID: Tispower

MSN: tispower1@hotmail.co.uk

Succes as any comany jumping into a market that is Dominated By another company and still sell In good numbers say 1/5 the market share is still good i thx...

I thx this is more of in opinion then just straight fact...

xbox was a sucess it started from nothing and now has a strong Fan base, evan though they lost money they call it a sucess and many others call it a failure

Same Goes with the PSP,

I do thx Sony makes profit on these but i could be wrong so is making a profit from a First Gen console of that genra not a succes

o well my openion, Just what level do you start calling it a failure becouse it does not sell 50 million?

Hill Till We Die    -Don 2001

I Own a WII, 64 and SNES, Most Sega systems

I Own A Xbox and Xbox 360

I am Still MAD at Sony for 3 dead PS2's with Disk Read Error's, And proud Owner of a PSX that Plays Games While Upside Down and a PS3 Slim.

FANBOY That Haiters

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/550493466.png[/IMG][/URL]

Around the Network
Tispower said:
I know a lot of people said it is a failure because it make little/no money. But wasn't that the whole point of the original xBox, to lose money, but to help it's successor. If the xBox had only sold say 10mil, how many sale do you think the 360 would have lost? Fact of the matter is, Sony has a userbase of 20mil for when PSP2 comes out. Also in reagrdto piracy, I know no one personally who uses pirated games for either their PSP or DS. As I've heard you can get pirtated games for your DS just as easily. Perhaps the reason I don't know anyone that does it, is becuase most of us here in the UK are law abiding :P or maybe not...

I think I've touched on this earlier in the thread but IF Sony releases a PSP2 will it draw the same crowd? Sony has learned the hard way that you can't leave your system wide open to homebrew/piracy without some catastrophic consequences. As a result you can bet that it's successor will be a MUCH harder nut to crack so will inevitably fail to be a huge hit amongst the homebrew crowd. Putting it another way, homebrew is to PSP what Mario is to a Nintendo system, take either away and the system loses much of it's appeal.

Regarding DS, yes you can play pirated software but you need extra hardware whereas PSP is just a case of software, thus much easier to implement not to mention cheaper/free!

Hus said:

Grow up and stop trolling.

ssj12 said:
the PSP is successful, theres no way around that. Its the only handheld to ever take away piece of Nintendo's dominance of the handheld market.

Could you possibly simplify things anymore, have you even read through the thread?

I'd say it would have been pretty much impossible for the PSP not to at least make some impact considering the strength of the PS brand at the time of it's release, the financial clout of Sony and relationships it had with the big devs. Why is it then that it's still seen as surpising or impressive? Xbox imo is another false success. It burned through billions upon billions of dollars and only barely managed to outsell the GC's hardware whilst getting soundly beaten on software which most would probably agree is more important.

Was Waterworld seen as successful because it beat smaller budget but ultimately profitable movies at the box office?? This outlook is just plain misguided.

On a different note, did anybody disprove me on the issue of PSPLite having just as crappy battery life as the origional?

Hus said:

DonXHill said:
Succes as any comany jumping into a market that is Dominated By another company and still sell In good numbers say 1/5 the market share is still good i thx...

I thx this is more of in opinion then just straight fact...

xbox was a sucess it started from nothing and now has a strong Fan base, evan though they lost money they call it a sucess and many others call it a failure

Same Goes with the PSP,

I do thx Sony makes profit on these but i could be wrong so is making a profit from a First Gen console of that genra not a succes

o well my openion, Just what level do you start calling it a failure becouse it does not sell 50 million?

Not sure how you can say something is a success despite loosing money. If a company without the financial backing of Microsoft attempted the Xbox, they would be belly up. MS profits in other areas to counteract the losses in another. Sega is a company that did go belly up because of continually loosing money and not having any other ventures to make up for the losses. Some really bad business decisions did not help matters. The 360 also really didn't do much for having had a year head start, and since the 2006 holiday season, it's barely been selling. They should also really just give up the Japanese market and stop throwing money at Japanese developers to get exclusives that sell well in Japan compared to other 360 games, but in the end are still poor numbers. The hardware numbers in Japan actually show the 360 to be selling worse than its predecessor, too.

If a movie was made for $100 million but only made $80 million in theaters, would you consider it a success? On the otherhand, look at Cloverfield. It's budgeted at $30 million. If that only makes $40 million would you consider it not as much a success as the other movie because fewer people saw the movie even though it made a profit prior to DVD sales? For some reason, actual profit seems to be overlooked in some markets. Like how Toyota only just recently surpassing GM in sales was big news yet they had been making more money than GM for several years already. Meanwhile people were calling the gamecube a failure yet Nintendo had the best profit margin last generation at one point. I think Sony may have been able to pull ahead by the end of it, but MS was way in the black for just the gaming division. Having to give up their console just as they started turning a profit on it because of loosing the rights to the processor (I think it was that piece) certainly didn't help them out. It's one of the major reasons the 360 was rushed out ahead of everyone else.

The difference with the PS3 is that Sony is willing to take the losses on the hardware as long as it wins them the format war with HD-DVD as they stand to make MUCH more money in that area than video gaming. It's basically their sacrificial goat. Sony and many analysists expected the PSP to gain a significantly larger market segment because of the Sony/PS name. I would easily say that half of the ones sold thus far were probably because of that. Their major issue has always been a lack of worthwhile software and very few titles that aren't an offshoot (or outright port) of the PS1/2 version to warrant it. Even my boyfriend, who is way too much of a Final Fantasy/Sq-En fanboy, has no desire to rebuy a PSP for that upcoming FFVII game. He sold his old one to his roommate because he hardly touched the thing.

The PSP isn't a failure but I also wouldn't call it a success. It's just stuck somewhere between. Mostly because the expectations of the system are so drastically different from the reality.

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.

A success but also a failure as they were hoping (as many consumers were also) to dethrone nintendo as handheld king.

ceres said:

Not sure how you can say something is a success despite loosing money. If a company without the financial backing of Microsoft attempted the Xbox, they would be belly up. MS profits in other areas to counteract the losses in another. Sega is a company that did go belly up because of continually loosing money and not having any other ventures to make up for the losses. Some really bad business decisions did not help matters. The 360 also really didn't do much for having had a year head start, and since the 2006 holiday season, it's barely been selling. They should also really just give up the Japanese market and stop throwing money at Japanese developers to get exclusives that sell well in Japan compared to other 360 games, but in the end are still poor numbers. The hardware numbers in Japan actually show the 360 to be selling worse than its predecessor, too.

If a movie was made for $100 million but only made $80 million in theaters, would you consider it a success? On the otherhand, look at Cloverfield. It's budgeted at $30 million. If that only makes $40 million would you consider it not as much a success as the other movie because fewer people saw the movie even though it made a profit prior to DVD sales? For some reason, actual profit seems to be overlooked in some markets. Like how Toyota only just recently surpassing GM in sales was big news yet they had been making more money than GM for several years already. Meanwhile people were calling the gamecube a failure yet Nintendo had the best profit margin last generation at one point. I think Sony may have been able to pull ahead by the end of it, but MS was way in the black for just the gaming division. Having to give up their console just as they started turning a profit on it because of loosing the rights to the processor (I think it was that piece) certainly didn't help them out. It's one of the major reasons the 360 was rushed out ahead of everyone else.

The difference with the PS3 is that Sony is willing to take the losses on the hardware as long as it wins them the format war with HD-DVD as they stand to make MUCH more money in that area than video gaming. It's basically their sacrificial goat. Sony and many analysists expected the PSP to gain a significantly larger market segment because of the Sony/PS name. I would easily say that half of the ones sold thus far were probably because of that. Their major issue has always been a lack of worthwhile software and very few titles that aren't an offshoot (or outright port) of the PS1/2 version to warrant it. Even my boyfriend, who is way too much of a Final Fantasy/Sq-En fanboy, has no desire to rebuy a PSP for that upcoming FFVII game. He sold his old one to his roommate because he hardly touched the thing.

The PSP isn't a failure but I also wouldn't call it a success. It's just stuck somewhere between. Mostly because the expectations of the system are so drastically different from the reality.

It's good to see somebody who doesn't see hardware sold as the deciding benchmark of success.

Hus said: