By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Should the PSP be viewed as a succes or a failure?

How about a...

Meh...

Around the Network
your mother said:
davygee said:
your mother said:

But isn't that what the PS3 encountered? A price reduction while the console is being manufactured at a loss seven months into its lifespan?

Again, there is no proven fact that Sony are making a loss per sold PS3. All reports are pointing towards a profit with the reduction of Blu-Ray production costs and lack of EE etc.

OK, it would make sense that  Sony has managed to trim manufacturing costs by now for the PS3, but a whopping 50%?

When it first launched, it was selling for something like 240$ under cost. That would be quite a feat.

Also a lot of the PS3s being sold were manufactured months ago thus not benefiting from reduced costs. The 60gig model must be costing Sony a lot of cash at 499. Anyway this thread is not about PS3 but PSP, back on topic please!

Hus said:

Grow up and stop trolling.

jstam said:
you really think that the psp is going to get a HUGE sales boost? i honestly doubt it will even make a dint on the charts, maybe an extra 50k for a couple of weeks but thats about it

I don't think the new look PSP will give the sales a huge boost, but the games coming out in the 3rd and 4th quarters as well as games over the start of next year WILL give the sales a boost.  Games like Chains of Olympus and FFVII: Crisis Core will undoubtably give the PSP a hardware boost although not to a ridiculous level.

The PSP has seen a continual hardware boost of around 13% each week since the pricedrops in both the EU and NA.  I reckon Sony WILL reduce the price of the original PSP once the new model is released on 1st September WW by maybe 20% or so and this will increase sales again.

All in all, I reckon the PSP will have more sales this year than they did last year.  The PSP is selling 500-600k units every 4 weeks so I reckon it will sell another 4-6m until the end of the year.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

rockstarjerry981 said:

Ckmlb, I looked at your list and yawned. The only game that interests me is Worms: Open Warfare. I have Ratchet and Clank, but it was good for about a week as well. Never did like MGS.

That doesn't change the fact that there are a lot of great games on the PSP. It's your opinion that these games are boring or whatever.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

your mother said:
davygee said:
your mother said:

But isn't that what the PS3 encountered? A price reduction while the console is being manufactured at a loss seven months into its lifespan?

Again, there is no proven fact that Sony are making a loss per sold PS3. All reports are pointing towards a profit with the reduction of Blu-Ray production costs and lack of EE etc.

OK, it would make sense that Sony has managed to trim manufacturing costs by now for the PS3, but a whopping 50%?

When it first launched, it was selling for something like 240$ under cost. That would be quite a feat.

Correction: when it was launched, independent analysists guessed it to be selling for about $200-$240 under cost. We don't have figures from Sony confirming (or denying) that amount so I'd not be so quick to assume that number is fully accurate.

Besides, on the PSP. I recall reading in the Sony annual report (or the press release thereof, I forgot) that the PSP business was (together with the PS2 business) offsetting the PS3 loss. That would suggest the PSP business as a whole is profitable to me. Especially so because Sony specifically singled out the PSP when noting this.

Around the Network
davygee said:
jstam said:
you really think that the psp is going to get a HUGE sales boost? i honestly doubt it will even make a dint on the charts, maybe an extra 50k for a couple of weeks but thats about it

I don't think the new look PSP will give the sales a huge boost, but the games coming out in the 3rd and 4th quarters as well as games over the start of next year WILL give the sales a boost.  Games like Chains of Olympus and FFVII: Crisis Core will undoubtably give the PSP a hardware boost although not to a ridiculous level.

The PSP has seen a continual hardware boost of around 13% each week since the pricedrops in both the EU and NA.  I reckon Sony WILL reduce the price of the original PSP once the new model is released on 1st September WW by maybe 20% or so and this will increase sales again.

All in all, I reckon the PSP will have more sales this year than they did last year.  The PSP is selling 500-600k units every 4 weeks so I reckon it will sell another 4-6m until the end of the year.

But will these extra PSPs sold help struggling software sales in any meaningfull way? Seriously if you were a developer what would convince you to make a game for the platform?

Hus said:

ckmlb said:
rockstarjerry981 said:

Ckmlb, I looked at your list and yawned. The only game that interests me is Worms: Open Warfare. I have Ratchet and Clank, but it was good for about a week as well. Never did like MGS.

That doesn't change the fact that there are a lot of great games on the PSP. It's your opinion that these games are boring or whatever.

By the same token, all you can really say is that there are lots of games. Not great, not terrible, just games.

Granted, there are some games I passed on the PC that I might pick up for the PSP: Pirates and Worms. Never played Lumines (heard it's great) and Crush sounds different in a good way.

Biggerboat said:
davygee said:
jstam said:

I don't think the new look PSP will give the sales a huge boost, but the games coming out in the 3rd and 4th quarters as well as games over the start of next year WILL give the sales a boost. Games like Chains of Olympus and FFVII: Crisis Core will undoubtably give the PSP a hardware boost although not to a ridiculous level.

The PSP has seen a continual hardware boost of around 13% each week since the pricedrops in both the EU and NA. I reckon Sony WILL reduce the price of the original PSP once the new model is released on 1st September WW by maybe 20% or so and this will increase sales again.

All in all, I reckon the PSP will have more sales this year than they did last year. The PSP is selling 500-600k units every 4 weeks so I reckon it will sell another 4-6m until the end of the year.

But will these extra PSPs sold help struggling software sales in any meaningfull way? Seriously if you were a developer what would convince you to make a game for the platform?

What should convince you is looking at sales of Monster Hunter Portable 2.  In Japan alone, they have sold near 1.3m units.  Good games generally sell well...maybe not amazingly because of the piracy issue, but generally, the games sell enough to make back their money.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Roondar said:
your mother said:
davygee said:
your mother said:

OK, it would make sense that Sony has managed to trim manufacturing costs by now for the PS3, but a whopping 50%?

Correction: when it was launched, independent analysists guessed it to be selling for about $200-$240 under cost. We don't have figures from Sony confirming (or denying) that amount so I'd not be so quick to assume that number is fully accurate.

Besides, on the PSP. I recall reading in the Sony annual report (or the press release thereof, I forgot) that the PSP business was (together with the PS2 business) offsetting the PS3 loss. That would suggest the PSP business as a whole is profitable to me. Especially so because Sony specifically singled out the PSP when noting this.

I don't know why Sony would single out the PSP as the PS2 will continue to be significantly more profitable than it for the forseeable future. The problem with Sony is you can't trust a thing that it says.

Hus said:

your mother said:

By the same token, all you can really say is that there are lots of games. Not great, not terrible, just games.

Granted, there are some games I passed on the PC that I might pick up for the PSP: Pirates and Worms. Never played Lumines (heard it's great) and Crush sounds different in a good way.

If you go simply by what looks 'good' without actually checkin games out then every system just has a bunch of games. I don't understand why so many people complain about too many sequel games yet totally ignore games they don't know because they aren't the sequels of games they like...

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!