By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - So who is watching the debate tonight?

vlad321 said:
bigjon said:
The way I look at it is the only way you will think that Obama won the FP part of the debate is that you hate the Iraq war, think the surge was stupid, and for some reason really think Afghan is worse the Iraq? Who the hell do you think were are fighting in Iraq? TERRORIST!!!

The normal people there do see us as liberators and please do not argue that. I have friends and family who have been to Iraq numerous times and the people love us, and their freedom. If you do not believe that you ARE WRONG and blinded by bias
. No if and or buts.

And yes absolutes are a sign of the darkside.... (ok that was lame)

Oh man, you've really bitten a large chunk of off Bush's propaganda haven't you?

no I have talked to Marines and Soldiers (brothers, uncle(officer), and a few friends) and they have told me this. like I said since you do not believe what I am saying is true. You are wrong. On this issue you could say I have "inside" sources and you just take what you hear from the media.

It kinda makes more sense why I started hating Obama once I learned more about him.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network

I've actually talked to Iraq veterans who were pissed off that they were ordered to protect oil fields, and if they asked "Why can't we go protect those Iraqi hospitals or schools?" they'd get in trouble. The soldiers wanted to be liberators, but they were forced to be oil guards.

You are wrong. On this issue you could say we have conflicting inside sources.

Final-Fan said:
Kasz216 said:

I'd give McCain a slight win. I don't think he made any real mistakes while Obama made a couple slipups.

He focused too much on the past of Iraq and never adressed why a fixed timetable wouldn't be a problem... and not backing off sending troops into a democratic country was something that were going to turn people off.

I really liked the Debate format too... one of the best i've seen.

I disagree.  It's his OWN advisor that he's wrong about, and he started the fight!  (And fought so hard only to be 100% wrong.)

As for going after bin Laden in Pakistan whether Pakistan is on board or not, I think it depends partially on how frustrated people are with the number of times we "almost" got him.  I think it's clear that it's just an option he's keeping in his deck, not something he's going to rush out and do. 

I think you missed the point.  Obama said he would talk without preconditions to anybody.

Including Ahmadinejad who McCain said he wouldn't talk to without preconditions.  The main difference was that McCain saw preconditions as previous diplomatic events with other diplomats, while Obama saw it as "They must do every single thing we say."

In reality they both agreed on it... and both had different ideas on what "Preconditions" means.  In the end Obama conceded that there would have to be starter talks before he talked to anybody.

bigjon said:
vlad321 said:
bigjon said:
The way I look at it is the only way you will think that Obama won the FP part of the debate is that you hate the Iraq war, think the surge was stupid, and for some reason really think Afghan is worse the Iraq? Who the hell do you think were are fighting in Iraq? TERRORIST!!!

The normal people there do see us as liberators and please do not argue that. I have friends and family who have been to Iraq numerous times and the people love us, and their freedom. If you do not believe that you ARE WRONG and blinded by bias
. No if and or buts.

Oh man, you've really bitten a large chunk of off Bush's propaganda haven't you?

no I have talked to Marines and Soldiers (brothers, uncle(officer), and a few friends) and they have told me this. like I said since you do not believe what I am saying is true. You are wrong. On this issue you could say I have "inside" sources and you just take what you hear from the media.

It kinda makes more sense why I started hating Obama once I learned more about him.

Hey BigJon....you're not going to belive this...but soldiers have biases, too.  My brother served two years over there....and he paints a much different picture than you or Bush would present.  If you want to come into a thread and discuss...that's fine.  But quit being all high and mighty and suggesting that you know the absolute truth.

Kasz216 said:
Final-Fan said:
Kasz216 said:

I'd give McCain a slight win. I don't think he made any real mistakes while Obama made a couple slipups.

He focused too much on the past of Iraq and never adressed why a fixed timetable wouldn't be a problem... and not backing off sending troops into a democratic country was something that were going to turn people off.

I disagree.  It's his OWN advisor that he's wrong about, and he started the fight!  (And fought so hard only to be 100% wrong.)

As for going after bin Laden in Pakistan whether Pakistan is on board or not, I think it depends partially on how frustrated people are with the number of times we "almost" got him.  I think it's clear that it's just an option he's keeping in his deck, not something he's going to rush out and do. 

I think you missed the point.  Obama said he would talk without preconditions to anybody.

Including Ahmadinejad who McCain said he wouldn't talk to without preconditions.  The main difference was that McCain saw preconditions as previous diplomatic events with other diplomats, while Obama saw it as "They must do every single thing we say."

In reality they both agreed on it... and both had different ideas on what "Preconditions" means.  In the end Obama conceded that there would have to be starter talks before he talked to anybody.

If I recall correctly, even after Obama correctly defined his use of "preconditions", McCain continued to hammer that point.  I could be wrong, as I don't have time to review the transcript at the moment.  I will later, but feel free to beat me to it and prove me wrong. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network
Final-Fan said:
Kasz216 said:
Final-Fan said:
Kasz216 said:

If I recall correctly, even after Obama correctly defined his use of "preconditions", McCain continued to hammer that point.  I could be wrong, as I don't have time to review the transcript at the moment.  I will later, but feel free to beat me to it and prove me wrong. 

The problem is... Obama's definition of preconditions was incorrect.

"I'm not going to meet with you until the secretary of state or some other guy meets with your leaders first."

is a precondition don't you think?

It's not sure if that was his original definition or if that was just Obama backtracking on his previous comment.

super_etecoon said:
bigjon said:
vlad321 said:
bigjon said:

. No if and or buts.

Hey BigJon....you're not going to belive this...but soldiers have biases, too.  My brother served two years over there....and he paints a much different picture than you or Bush would present.  If you want to come into a thread and discuss...that's fine.  But quit being all high and mighty and suggesting that you know the absolute truth.

And you are not?

Ok, you anecdote is your bother... My anecdote contains about 6 people. Btw- Is your bother in the Army? or Marines? I am just wondering. marines don't do 2 year deployments. Army does 14 month deployments(usually, although it really does depend on what your MOS is), was he in the initial assault? I know some of those soldier got screwed and were stuck over for 20-26 months.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Kasz216 said:
Final-Fan said:
Kasz216 said:
Final-Fan said:
Kasz216 said:

I disagree. It's his OWN advisor that he's wrong about, and he started the fight!  (And fought so hard only to be 100% wrong.)

The problem is... Obama's definition of preconditions was incorrect.

"I'm not going to meet with you until the secretary of state or some other guy meets with your leaders first."

is a precondition don't you think?

It's not sure if that was his original definition or if that was just Obama backtracking on his previous comment.

"On preconditions the two appear to agree. Last week Kissinger also said that 'I do not believe that we can make conditions for the opening of negotiations.'" source

As for the definition of preconditions, here's how the term is used by the U.S. deputy assistant secretary of state: 
U.S. wants Georgia, Abkhazia talks without preconditions
Both Georgia and the rebels have set preconditions for sitting down to talks with each other.
"We cannot understand why there are no direct negotiations between Sukhumi and Tbilisi. If the parties are serious about reducing tensions, they do not put preconditions," [U.S. Deputy Assistant Secretary of State Matthew] Bryza told reporters in Tbilisi.
Abkhaz separatists say talks would be impossible unless Georgia withdrew its troops from a disputed gorge cutting deep into Abkhaz territory.

They also demand Georgia sign a formal pledge not to attack the region. Georgia has refused to sign formal pledges not to attack, saying it did not have any such plans anyway.

So I think it's clear that "preconditions" means "do this and this and this, and then we'll talk to you", not "we'll talk to you right now but not at the Presidential level at first". 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Debate or a personal verbal slanging match?

It's the same in the UK, most politicians are now such idiots they have no ideas so just choose to criticise the other person and their party.

I watched the debate last night - and truthfully, Obama came off as classy and respectful. McCain wasn't. He couldn't say 'middle class' once and rarely looked at Obama. And guess what? At the end, Obama and Michelle walked across the stage and greeted the McCains. That's classy and earns points in my book. All McCain had to do was walk to the middle of the stage ...

Obama held his own and really made the debate his most of the night. The economy, the crisis and domestic affairs dominated the debate and even on foreign topics, Obama held off McCain advances.

For McCain to be a seasoned debater, he seemed to get own3d. The pundits said it was a draw, but most polls have Obama as the clear winner - plus he got a bump.

It's Obama'a election to lose.