By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN UK reviews FIFA 09 - 8.9

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/913/913806p1.html

Closing Comments
FIFA 09 returns to the pitch full of swagger, and it does it’s very best to deliver on EA Sport’s promise of creating the definitive football title. An exacting game on the pitch and an overwhelmingly comprehensive one off of it, it’s still got a number of minor niggles that blight the play. But when the package is so vast and offers so much, it’s hard not to be impressed. Is it better than PES? It’s certainly different, and which game you go for this season ultimately depends on what you want from your annual dose of football.

IGN UK Ratings for FIFA Soccer 09 (PS3)
Rating Description
out of 10 click here for ratings guide
8.0 Presentation
Menus are slick, but with so many they're a little cumbersome.
8.5 Graphics
Hardly an improvement, but still a step ahead of the opposition.
9.0 Sound
The commentary and crowd noises conspire together to create an authentic experience.
8.5 Gameplay
So exactingly realistic it can be off-putting and not without a few gripes, it's still the best FIFA yet.
9.0 Lasting Appeal
The Adidas Live Season will keep it fresh for the next 12 months, and the online modes are a triumph throughout.
Great
OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Looks like EA has been improving the game, maybe if the PC version is on par with the PS3/360 and if PES disappoints me (which I hope it does not) I'll give it a try. They draw some comparisons with PES, for example

"This slavishness to reality may be jarring to those who've plied their trade in other football franchises, and it's fascinating to see how FIFA has now set itself up as the more simulation minded game in opposition to the instant gratification that PES offers" (since when has been PES offering instant gratification??? It has always tried to offer more realism than gratification)

Around the Network

wow impressive score for FIFA 09'. Europeans will buy this and PES 09' by the millions.

zexen_lowe said:

Looks like EA has been improving the game, maybe if the PC version is on par with the PS3/360 and if PES disappoints me (which I hope it does not) I'll give it a try. They draw some comparisons with PES, for example

It's not. it's PS2 FIFA on steroids. and EA gave poor excuses for not giving PC players a real "next gen" FIFA.

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!

Nice and thanks to better achievements than FIFA08 I'll buy it for sure

salaminizer said:
zexen_lowe said:

It's not. it's PS2 FIFA on steroids. and EA gave poor excuses for not giving PC players a real "next gen" FIFA.

I know that's what happened with 08 version (that's what I didn't even bother looking at it), but didn't EA this time port it from the next-gen version? At least the PC version of PES 2008, with all the problems, was a direct port from the 360 version.

Around the Network

Nice. Gotta pre-order this!

End of '08 predictions (made by theprof00): PS3: 20m, 360: 23.5m, wii: 42m

Now Playin':  PS3|Resistance 2, LBP, Uncharted and Fifa 09, PSP| Ratchet and Clank: Size matters, 360| Gears of war 2 and Fallout 3.

Soccer games haven't been fun since FIFA 98 imo, this is probably no different. I've learned not to trust reviews this gen. I will, however, give this a try at some point.

nice score!

zexen_lowe said:
salaminizer said:
zexen_lowe said:

I know that's what happened with 08 version (that's what I didn't even bother looking at it), but didn't EA this time port it from the next-gen version? At least the PC version of PES 2008, with all the problems, was a direct port from the 360 version.

no :P instead of porting the ps3/x360 version they "improved" the PS2 version. it looks (much) better than the PS2, but plays like it. their excuse was that only a small fraction fo the market would be able to run the game if they ported it from "next-gen" consoles - when a number of companies are already releasing games requiring dual cores, it's tough to accept it. I was going to buy it because of mouse controls and promised "next-gen" game, but the truth came out very quickly and I noticed there was something wrong even before knowing it was the PS2 improved.

y dale river (j/k) vamo Inter! nos vemos en la sudamericana :D

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!

salaminizer said:
zexen_lowe said:
salaminizer said:
zexen_lowe said:

no :P instead of porting the ps3/x360 version they "improved" the PS2 version. it looks (much) better than the PS2, but plays like it. their excuse was that only a small fraction fo the market would be able to run the game if they ported it from "next-gen" consoles - when a number of companies are already releasing games requiring dual cores, it's tough to accept it. I was going to buy it because of mouse controls and promised "next-gen" game, but the truth came out very quickly and I noticed there was something wrong even before knowing it was the PS2 improved.

y dale river (j/k) vamo Inter! nos vemos en la sudamericana :D

I'm downloading the PC demo as of now, so I'll see how it is.

Wow, you're right, we're meeting in the next round of the Sudamericana if we both pass.