By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Blu Ray is not crashing and burning thread

Recently there was a thread about an article stating that blu ray sales were down.  Here is the thread:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=0&id=42944

Many people used this article to prove that blu ray was in dire straights.  In the thread I pointed out that it was based on a one week decline and not on the trends.  Here is an article from ps3blog http://www.ps3blog.net/2008/09/25/calling-out-the-blu-ray-haters/ (i know biased right...keep reading) quoting articles from Engadget and afterdawn.com stating the same thing and showing numbers that show the market is growing.

Engadget says:

for some reason, the 13 percent drop in Blu-ray sales last week got a lot of attention. What we can’t figure out is why the 30 percent increases during the two weeks before (combined) went unnoticed. It boggles the mind why so many so-called tech evangelists only pick up on the bad weeks

Either way, when movies like the Forbidden Kingdom and TV shows like Terminator are stealing double digits away from DVD, sales are not down. But hey, predicting the end of Blu-ray is just so much more fun than actually analyzing all the data, isn’t it? Ah well, we’ll let the haters hate — meanwhile, we’ll continue to enjoy the highest quality hi-def around.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/09/25/blu-rays-market-share-has-almost-doubled-since-hd-dvds-demise/#commentform

Afterdawn.com:

According to Home Media Research compiled by the Redhill Group, it appears that Blu-ray sales are actually quite solid for the year, and up 300 percent year-on-year from 2007.

The research says that Blu-ray movies are selling at about 1.14 million per month on average for the year, for a total of about 8 million. The combined total for 2006 and 2007 was about 6 million discs sold.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/15132.cfm

Discuss if you want.

Around the Network

Blu rays are selling well, in fact right when I walk in my best buy the first thing they have set up is Blu rays... BTW, Blu rays are selling faster than DVD's were in their lifecycle. Once movies Like The Dark Knight come to blu ray you will see just how well they can sell

Just needs more time to continue lifting off. The holiday season might look good for Blu-ray this year.

Why would Blu-Ray crash and burn ?? It's the next generation of media storage and HD movie viewing.  People say retarded crap all the time about a new tech.  At one point nobody thought you'd ever need more than 1MB of storage, and not to buy into some crazy little company called "IBM".   BLu-Ray is important because as files get larger and HD TV's become the standard (They are already priced cheaper compared to color CRT's at same point in life cycle), people will require some form of storage for the HD media.  So its either everyone buys 1-5 TB DVR's and then pays to download movies, or get a blu-ray player.  And for those who say DVD doesn't need to be replaced; neither did VCR according to a lot of people (and DVD was supposedly a short lived fad).  And if you've seen a HD movie, you'll understand alot better than if you haven't. 

The Dark Knight on BR is surely going to shift some players... each big title on BR is going to help now that there is only one format to chose between.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

I would also like to point out that companies make more per disc with Blu Ray.

I don't see why people insist that it's going to be one method for the next decade (or ever).

Competitive markets mean consumers, IP owners, and producers of media formats (as a group, not individually - of course each wants theirs to be king) will all want more than one media.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

There is always resistance in the adoption of new technology. However, sooner or later everyone jumps on board.

Branko2166 said:
There is always resistance in the adoption of new technology. However, sooner or later everyone jumps on board.

That's about when you know it's on its way out. ;)

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Is there anyone on this site that thinks Blu Ray is the best thing since sliced bread that doesn't own a PS3? It seems to me that all the people banging on about Blu Ray do so because your beloved Sony is the chief supporter. If Sony did not make Blu Ray players I doubt any of you would care how well Blu Ray did.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Blu-ray will survive as long as we get bandwidth caps.