By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Blu Ray is not crashing and burning thread

I still think that Blu ray is the next laser disk and something else will take over, that's why I am personally weary of investing in it. it may prove me wrong though.

Around the Network
tuoyo said:
Is there anyone on this site that thinks Blu Ray is the best thing since sliced bread that doesn't own a PS3? It seems to me that all the people banging on about Blu Ray do so because your beloved Sony is the chief supporter. If Sony did not make Blu Ray players I doubt any of you would care how well Blu Ray did.

I think you're mixing up causation, I bought a PS3 because it is a Bluray Player.  I've made that pretty clear since I made my original "I just bought a PS3 thread."

As far as games go, I think the 360 has a much better library and gamerscore is much better than tropihes.  Unfortunately for MS, their product didn't offer the value my household (read: my gf) demanded.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

The HD-DVD wound still burns on the skin of the praetorians of the pocket-dredger from Redmond (*), that's the reason for so much hate towards BD.

(*) literal translation of "pretoriani del dragasaccocce di Redmond", an italian joke about you know who and his fans

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

tuoyo said:
Is there anyone on this site that thinks Blu Ray is the best thing since sliced bread that doesn't own a PS3? It seems to me that all the people banging on about Blu Ray do so because your beloved Sony is the chief supporter. If Sony did not make Blu Ray players I doubt any of you would care how well Blu Ray did.

In some ways this is true, especailly in a gaming site. But it is not that much different than Wii owners saying that Wii Music is bound to be great becasue it was Miyamoto's idea...

You always try to justify your purchase but also learn from past experience with products from the same company/person....

PSN ID: T_Gears

End of 2009 ltd sales:

Wii = 67-68m

X360 = 38-39m

PS3 = 34-35m

Prediction: The PS3 will surpass the 360 on weekly sales after it drops to $299 on all regular weeks (no big releases).

Much like UMD, since Blu-Ray was launched as part of a major videogame system launch it outpaced the adoption rate of DVD early on; this (in itself) set unrealistic expectations for how quickly it would be adopted (50% by the end of 2008? yeah right!) and as it begins to struggle and fall below the adoption rate of DVD people will see it as a bad sign for Blu-Ray (which I don't think it is). 

In my opinion, Blu-Ray was never destined to become as popular as DVD was because most people will not have hardware which is capable of displaying the improvement over DVD for a couple of years, most users will have difficulty noticing the difference between the video quality of upconverted DVDs, compressed HD video downloads, and Blu-Ray video, and Blu-Ray doesn't offer convenience features which are (seem to be) some of the major reasons why people choose to "upgrade" to a new format.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:

Much like UMD, since Blu-Ray was launched as part of a major videogame system launch it outpaced the adoption rate of DVD early on; this (in itself) set unrealistic expectations for how quickly it would be adopted (50% by the end of 2008? yeah right!) and as it begins to struggle and fall below the adoption rate of DVD people will see it as a bad sign for Blu-Ray (which I don't think it is).

Comparing UMD to Blu-Ray, a lot of people are going to hate you :)

UMD is a failure and also a liability to PSP.

Blu ray has been a lot slower to adopt than planned in the end I think it will do well just going to take a few more years. I am waiting for Blu ray movies to come down. The Blu ray players are reasonable priced but the movies are WAY to expensive

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

People will continually bring down blu-ray as long as humanly possible.

They know as adoption raises, so does the chance of PS3 penetration, as an awesome BD player, and game player. It's simple. Take any bad news and make it big, and take the 30 percent increases the first two weeks and forget it happened.

This holiday will be the first big test for Blu-Ray. Last Christmas had the HD-DVD confusion for consumers. If players can be had for $200, it should sell well.

People keep talking about HD downloads taking over. The vast majority of consumers will not want to download a HD movie that is tied to a device. They will want to own a physical disk. The only question is how much more they are willing to pay for HD vs SD images.

I find it humorous that many of the same people who swear that they cannot tell the difference between a DVD and a Blu-Ray images are the same people who swear they can tell the difference in a 360 game a 720 resolution and a PS3 port at 640 resolution.

I think most detractors on this site want Blu-Ray to fail it to fail because it is tied to the Sony, and a game system they do not support.

WiiStation360 said:
This holiday will be the first big test for Blu-Ray. Last Christmas had the HD-DVD confusion for consumers. If players can be had for $200, it should sell well.

People keep talking about HD downloads taking over. The vast majority of consumers will not want to download a HD movie that is tied to a device. They will want to own a physical disk. The only question is how much more they are willing to pay for HD vs SD images.

I find it humorous that many of the same people who swear that they cannot tell the difference between a DVD and a Blu-Ray images are the same people who swear they can tell the difference in a 360 game a 720 resolution and a PS3 port at 640 resolution.

I think most detractors on this site want Blu-Ray to fail it to fail because it is tied to the Sony, and a game system they do not support.

Yeah, I love how we all count pixels in the comparison PS360 videos, but for some reason, we can't tell the difference between Blu-Ray and DVDs. 

It's pretty hypoctitical.