By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Blu Ray is not crashing and burning thread

WiiStation360 said:
This holiday will be the first big test for Blu-Ray. Last Christmas had the HD-DVD confusion for consumers. If players can be had for $200, it should sell well.

People keep talking about HD downloads taking over. The vast majority of consumers will not want to download a HD movie that is tied to a device. They will want to own a physical disk. The only question is how much more they are willing to pay for HD vs SD images.

I find it humorous that many of the same people who swear that they cannot tell the difference between a DVD and a Blu-Ray images are the same people who swear they can tell the difference in a 360 game a 720 resolution and a PS3 port at 640 resolution.

I think most detractors on this site want Blu-Ray to fail it to fail because it is tied to the Sony, and a game system they do not support.

Haha!

And excelent point indeed +1

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Around the Network

All the studios in Hollywood are behind Blu-ray, so I'd trust their judgment more than a few haters around here. A few years ago, many said that HDTV would never catch on because they would never be cheaper than $5k, while SDTVs were under $500.

Unfortunately, many around here tend to gauge their support of Digital Downloads vs. Blu-ray on their preference toward Sony or MS rather than what they would actually prefer. People also forget that Sony is also a competitor in the DD market, along with Apple.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

taxman said:
tuoyo said:
Is there anyone on this site that thinks Blu Ray is the best thing since sliced bread that doesn't own a PS3? It seems to me that all the people banging on about Blu Ray do so because your beloved Sony is the chief supporter. If Sony did not make Blu Ray players I doubt any of you would care how well Blu Ray did.

In some ways this is true, especailly in a gaming site. But it is not that much different than Wii owners saying that Wii Music is bound to be great becasue it was Miyamoto's idea...

You always try to justify your purchase but also learn from past experience with products from the same company/person....

Where are these Wii owners saying this.  You need to point them out to me so I can slap some sense into them because Wii Music is guaranteed to be absolute thrash.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

xenophon13 said:

According to Home Media Research compiled by the Redhill Group, it appears that Blu-ray sales are actually quite solid for the year, and up 300 percent year-on-year from 2007.

For the longest time BD sales were measured in percentages compared to itself or HD DVD.  When they were selling hundreds or thousands of units (compared to millions of DVDs), they would say, "BD sales are 250% of HD-DVD".  That way they didn't have to admit how badly the discs were selling.

If they were selling good, I gaurantee you you'd see real numbers, not relative numbers from other numbers you don't know.  The point of relative numbers like that is to fool people into thinking sales are good when those people don't even know what the baseline is. 

How can you judge relative sales without knowing the baseline?

The fact is that BD sales are not picking up as expected and people are looking for answers.  The answers seem to be:

(1) HD downloads are gaining popularity faster than BD

(2) Price -- BDs are too expensive even though BD players have finally reached mass market pricing ($199)

(3) Quality -- DVDs have good enough quality that most people think they're HD already or don't see the difference between DVD and BD

The bottom line is that joe average consumer doesn't care about BD the way he cared about DVD.

WiiStation360 said:

I think most detractors on this site want Blu-Ray to fail it to fail because it is tied to the Sony, and a game system they do not support.

Yes I want Blu-Ray to fail because of Sony.  I think it is scandalous that they should have made their Playstation fans pay for their format war by forcing them to buy a Blu Ray player because they want PS3.  But I need a way to record HD footage from my HD camcorder and from HD satellite.  It seems a Blu Ray recorder is going to be the only way to do this since the format that offered consumers complete technology at amazing prices has been forced out of the market so all I care about is that Blu Ray recorders get released soon.  I have no interest in playing Blu Ray movies though and probably never will.    

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Around the Network

Blu Ray>HD Downloads lmao,

PandaexpressPanda said:

Why?  I have Dish Network, for example, and their new VOD feature supports the same quality and bitrates as BD in a nifty little 25GB sattelite-based download.  And I don't have to pay $35 for each movie.

TheBigFatJ said:
PandaexpressPanda said:

Why?  I have Dish Network, for example, and their new VOD feature supports the same quality and bitrates as BD in a nifty little 25GB sattelite-based download.  And I don't have to pay $35 for each movie.

I like to have  a case to look at and smell when i unwrap the package :)

PandaexpressPanda said:
TheBigFatJ said:
PandaexpressPanda said:

I like to have  a case to look at and smell when i unwrap the package :)

i prefer the convience of portability.

edit: and before you jump on me about the dish network...i'm refering to DD in general.  I could buy a CD but even if i did i would just convert it to mp3, throw it onto my computer and ipod and never look at the casing again.  that's the convience i want with my movies as well and why i'm a firm supporter of DD.  i don't hate HD...i hate discs because the lack of computerized search functions (a big deal when you have 400 dvds like i do) and the issues storing it in my house (again 400 dvds take up a fuck-ton of space).

My company was giving away a bluray player at the last company event and my freind won it... The reaction both him and me had was..."sweet, 200 dollar resale".

I thought I'd throw it out there...as long as bluray players are priced like this...it will be more worth reselling than keeping for regular joe-schmoes. Even at $299 its a rip off.