By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - why can't Forza sell like Gran Turismo

Aj_habfan said:
Highly established franchise and major worldwide appeal, I don't think any racing series besides Mario Kart can touch it.

What this young man said.

But if it keeps at it, in the decades to come Forza MIGHT give GT a run for it's money.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

I like both games but since I don't own a PS3 obviously I'm going to play Forza.
I prefer PGR over Forza anyways.

It's just that simple.

i have the newest forza and it sucked... like comon i played it got pissed off and played GT3! 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and had so much more fun. Forza will never match up to gt

mrstickball said:
This is kind of like asking why Ratchet and Clank doesn't outsell true Mario iterations...

At any rate, a few reasons:

1) Gran Turismo is older. It got it's start 1997. Forza started in what? 04? Usually when the first killer app comes out, it gets the bulk of the sales. Look even at Dragon Quest vs. Final Fantasy - DQ was first, and sells far better in Japan than Final Fantasy does.

2) Gran Turismo was/is on Playstation. It's kind of hard to sell insanely well when your competitor (GT1) debuted on a system with 4 times the install base. That led to higher sales and a better market perception.

3) Marketing. Gran Turismo, due to reasons 1 and 2, is far more well known. Forza, although a better game, has an uphill battle when GT is known as the premier racing sim.

4) Competition. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Gran Turismo never really had any internal (ie, Sony-developed) racing IPs to battle with. In all actuality, Project Gotham Racing was Microsofts flagship driving IP (and before that, Midtown Madness). Forza has had to fight with PGR and other titles, while GT never faced such internal pressure. That allowed the GT series to flourish far quicker than Forza, which as debuted in a pretty saturated racing market.

Having said all of that, Forza definitely has the quality to go toe to toe with Gran Turismo. It's laughable seeing Sony fanboys argue that GT is the better series. If your comparing how "close" racing sims are to the real deal, Forza has always been the more realistic series in every way. Don't get me wrong - GT is an awesome sim, and GT got me into racing sims, but Forza tries much harder to be more accurate. And racers do use Forza just like GT to train on courses. So from that kind of a quality standpoint, FM can establish itself as a good alternative to the GT crowd.

Lol.

No other dev in history has better car manufacturer relations than PD. The tracks in the GT series has always been more realistic than Forza's, the car movements, details and handling has always been more on point than Forza's. Forza has better A.I, online and customization options than GT. Either way, there's nothing "laughable" about thinking GT is a better series, most car enthuists play it and move reviewers has given the series better scores than Forza. Both games have their strong points, but GT has always been more realistic in terms of car details and handling than Forza. Ones that do not know much about Kazunori Yamauchi, PD, or just cars in general, are the ones that are likely to disagree.

They're both great games. But is it really any surprise that Gran Tourismo continues to outsell "we can do Gran Tourismo also - the game"?

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network
bbsin said:

ol.

No other dev in history has better car manufacturer relations than PD. The tracks in the GT series has always been more realistic than Forza's, the car movements, details and handling has always been more on point than Forza's. Forza has better A.I, online and customization options than GT. Either way, there's nothing "laughable" about thinking GT is a better series, most car enthuists play it and move reviewers has given the series better scores than Forza. Both games have their strong points, but GT has always been more realistic in terms of car details and handling than Forza. Ones that do not know much about Kazunori Yamauchi, PD, or just cars in general, are the ones that are likely to disagree.

Forza Motorsports - 93.0% Average Rating

Forza Motorsports 2 - 90.0% Average Rating

Gran Turismo 3 A Spec - 94.3% Average Rating

Gran Turismo 4 - 89.1% Average Rating

Taking the last 2 franchise games, GT only has a higher review average of 0.2%. Replace GT3 with GT5p, and there is no actual comparison in which series the reviewers think is better.

As for attention to detail for racing physics, I guess my question would be "How can a game that pays no regard to crash physics, at all be considered the most accurate to date?"

Ultimately, what will matter is when GT5 and FM3 launch, so we can get an actual side by side comparison of the 2 newest racing sims on the market. It's hard to compare games when they're staggered so much.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
bbsin said:

ol.

Taking the last 2 franchise games, GT only has a higher review average of 0.2%. Replace GT3 with GT5p, and there is no actual comparison in which series the reviewers think is better.

As for attention to detail for racing physics, I guess my question would be "How can a game that pays no regard to crash physics, at all be considered the most accurate to date?"

Ultimately, what will matter is when GT5 and FM3 launch, so we can get an actual side by side comparison of the 2 newest racing sims on the market. It's hard to compare games when they're staggered so much.

c'mon stickball. Dont tell me you actaully think physics are only crashes? Physics are how the weight shifts, how the car handles compared to the real life counter parts. Have you ever been to a car convention? import event? how often do you talk to real car enthusist? ask them which game is more like driving the real thing and you'll hear the same answers pop up. I seriously doubt you understand the amount of detail PD puts in each car, watch an episode of top gear regarding Kazunori Yamauchi and you'll be enlightened.

Also, we're talking about the series as a whole. Why are you attempting to isolate the more recent games? instead count every one? GT4 was a game that was limited by an out dated system, GT5:P was not a full game. If you're going to talk about which SERIES is better, lets talk about the SERIES, not the most recent games.

mrstickball said:
bbsin said:

ol.

GT4 was viciously attacked by some reviewers thats why its average is so low.  And the crash physics in Forza2 are laughable at best, and they have no real impact on the game.  And each game has retarded AI so we can't compare that.

Griffin said:
mrstickball said:
bbsin said:

ol.

GT4 was viciously attacked by some reviewers thats why its average is so low. And the crash physics in Forza2 are laughable at best, and they have no real impact on the game. And each game has retarded AI so we can't compare that.

And please can we never use aggregate scores again? There are so many crap sites that no one ever even heard included in the overall score that counting the average score from all of them is just retarded. Before the whole gamespot and gametrailers fiasco I used to look at them along with IGN for my gaming scores.

And I've said it before the crashing in Forza and other games is bullshit, that's fine for the internet keyboard warrior, but some of us want realistic physics, there's nothing realistic about those collisions in Forza, they are okay to be had in the game for amateurs, but if you're gonna put crashing and damage in your game for car enthusiasts, do it right.

I don't know but let's compare that last 2 Gran turismo OVERALL  scores to the last 2 Forza motorsport Games shall we...

Release date: NA February 222005

Gran Turismo 4 - PS2

Avg Ratio: 89%

& Release Date: May 3, 2005

Forza Motorsport - XBOX

Avg Ratio: 93%

Forza Motorsport 1, GT :ZER0

Round 2: Release Date:   April 152008

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue - PS3

Avg Ratio: 80%

&

May 292007

Forza Motorsport 2 - X360

Avg Ratio: 90%

Forza:2, GT:0

Do you wanna Dispute this? Clearly Forza quality are top notch, Funny how Forza 2 managed to outscore GT5:P when that game came out a year later.. and had time to improve.