By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - why can't Forza sell like Gran Turismo

Go read the various Forza1/2 reviews, where it is called a better game then GT.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

Around the Network
Tyrannical said:

go show it to us.

Critically both Forza and Gran Turismo are in the upper echelons in regards to their review scores. Forza is new and it didn't have the benefit of launching on the number one console in the market and it will never have a good presence in Japan due to the xbox's weakness there. Otherwise, who knows? Some games just don't strike as much of a chord with the wider demographics of people required to reach GT's sales levels.

outlawauron said:
Xbox_Nation said:
skeezer said:
Xbox_Nation said:
FilaBrasileiro said: 
Did you not read the 2 posts above yours? Are you really fucking comparing a PROMOTHERUCKINGLOGUE to a a FULL GAME? Are you fucking retarded?

Wait!? Hold the phone here this game sold at retail price $40.00, This game was reviewed as an actual GAME NOT a DEMO but a GAME by many Gaming sites, so You're saying we should let let the so called "PROLOGUE" slide because it's not a full game yet many video game sites reviewed it like it actually was?

People would pay 40 dollars because the know they are getting a quality game...not because its a full game, wait till GT5 is out.

Yeah when is that coming 2010...? yeah..Ouch 3 forza games since 2005, & Another one headed in 2009 by Turn 10..Yeah When was the last Gran turismo Game 2005? 3 forza Games coming out in under 5 years..YIKES!

Please, enlighten me as to when the 3rd Forza game came out?

I'd really like to know.

Funny how much more detail GT5 will have too (not only with graphics but handling and sounds too). And probablly how many more cars and tracks also. and how big of profectionists polyphony are.

If previous editions of GT5 tell us anything here and GT5P was 1/4th of the game we are in for a treat of lots of content. Also I'd like to know where he pulled the 2010 date from? GT5P came out the begining of the year. And I'd like to believe they had more done then they released... really another 2 years for development? I sure hope not. 1 1/2 year long would be in time for '09 holiday 

bbsin said:
Tyrannical said:

go show it to us.

[quote[

From IGN:

I can go on and on about the nuances and the plusses and minuses of Forza Motorsport, but the real thing is this: It's a hell of a racing simulation. There is nothing quite like it on Xbox, and fans who have been screaming for their own version of Gran Turismo finally have what they wanted.

Forza boasts an enormous amount of cars, tracks, and features, and it's got numerous qualities that GT doesn't have -- real car damage that affects performance and deals out consequences for poor driving. It's got people in the cars. What a crazy idea, I know, but you'll actually see people driving these cars, and where it's required, they drive on the right side of the car in Europe and Japan, and on the left side in the US. Nifty. It's easily got one of the most sophisticated, deep, and innovative online systems on the Xbox, with 1,400 leader boards, career online play, and class-based racing, with full support of cars clubs, and a huge laundry list of options from laps, car kinds, damage, you name it. It also packs a great customization feature both inside and out, a super cool progression scheme and point system, an excellently designed set of efficient menus, and the dopest soundtrack ripping feature ever -- continuous sound during loads.

Sure, it doesn't run at 60 FPS, it doesn't have 700 cars or 50-plus tracks, and it's not Gran Turismo, but in all fairness, MGS has done a superb, bang-up job their first time out. Forza is a force to be reckoned with, out-maneuvering GT4 in several respects, and beating out everything else in the sim department on Xbox, straight out. The fact is, Forza does some things better than GT4 and some things worse, but it's a must-have game, full stop. I highly recommend it.

[/quote]

From Gamerankings

Simon and I spent the next half hour gabbing about cars and the ways we love them. He loves European sedans and exotic racers. I love Japanese imports. But just like the game will prove to be when you play it with your friends on Xbox Live, Forza was our common ground -- a meta-place where we could geek out about cars. Sure, it may not run at 60 frames-per-second, and it might lack true feedback support for its Fanatec Speedster wheel (which isn't exactly worth its $150 price tag, by the way), Forza has upped the bar on sim racing. This is by far the most realistic console racer ever made, and it's hands-down the best racing game on Xbox. Congratulations to the team at Microsoft Game Studios for pulling off a minor miracle.

Another one from Gamerankings:

Final words: Xbox owners now have a racing game which actually keeps up with Gran Turismo 4 and beats it in some cases.  

Those are a few quotes. For the record, and if you'd like: Forza Motorsports 1 has a 3 point higher average ranking than Gran Turismo 4, as does Forza 2. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if GT4 is the definitive "best" of the Turismo series, then why have both Forza iterations outscored it by critics?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
bbsin said:
Tyrannical said:

go show it to us.

[quote[

From IGN:

I can go on and on about the nuances and the plusses and minuses of Forza Motorsport, but the real thing is this: It's a hell of a racing simulation. There is nothing quite like it on Xbox, and fans who have been screaming for their own version of Gran Turismo finally have what they wanted.

Forza boasts an enormous amount of cars, tracks, and features, and it's got numerous qualities that GT doesn't have -- real car damage that affects performance and deals out consequences for poor driving. It's got people in the cars. What a crazy idea, I know, but you'll actually see people driving these cars, and where it's required, they drive on the right side of the car in Europe and Japan, and on the left side in the US. Nifty. It's easily got one of the most sophisticated, deep, and innovative online systems on the Xbox, with 1,400 leader boards, career online play, and class-based racing, with full support of cars clubs, and a huge laundry list of options from laps, car kinds, damage, you name it. It also packs a great customization feature both inside and out, a super cool progression scheme and point system, an excellently designed set of efficient menus, and the dopest soundtrack ripping feature ever -- continuous sound during loads.

Sure, it doesn't run at 60 FPS, it doesn't have 700 cars or 50-plus tracks, and it's not Gran Turismo, but in all fairness, MGS has done a superb, bang-up job their first time out. Forza is a force to be reckoned with, out-maneuvering GT4 in several respects, and beating out everything else in the sim department on Xbox, straight out. The fact is, Forza does some things better than GT4 and some things worse, but it's a must-have game, full stop. I highly recommend it.

[/quote]

From Gamerankings

Simon and I spent the next half hour gabbing about cars and the ways we love them. He loves European sedans and exotic racers. I love Japanese imports. But just like the game will prove to be when you play it with your friends on Xbox Live, Forza was our common ground -- a meta-place where we could geek out about cars. Sure, it may not run at 60 frames-per-second, and it might lack true feedback support for its Fanatec Speedster wheel (which isn't exactly worth its $150 price tag, by the way), Forza has upped the bar on sim racing. This is by far the most realistic console racer ever made, and it's hands-down the best racing game on Xbox. Congratulations to the team at Microsoft Game Studios for pulling off a minor miracle.

Final words: Xbox owners now have a racing game which actually keeps up with Gran Turismo 4 and beats it in some cases.  

Those are a few quotes. For the record, and if you'd like: Forza Motorsports 1 has a 3 point higher average ranking than Gran Turismo 4, as does Forza 2. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if GT4 is the definitive "best" of the Turismo series, then why have both Forza iterations outscored it by critics?

First quote says "and some things worse" which means that it doesnt say its a better sim than GT.

Second quote obviously is talking strictly about the xbox games.

third quote also says "in some cases" which again doesnt mean its better since GT beats forza in "some case" too

mrstickball said:
bbsin said:
Tyrannical said:

go show it to us.

[quote[

From IGN:

[/quote]

From Gamerankings

Fail post, nothing you have posted represents people saying that Forza is a better series than GT, only aspects of it, which is true.

Second part is lulzy, GT3 is the best Gran Turismo as evidenced by its 94% average on gamerankings which is better than both Forza games.

As in go buy us some coffee.

http://speedhunters.com

Gobias, care to explain then, why Gran Turismo 4 is inferior to 3?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Didn't expect so heated up thread.

As for the question in the title, it can't mostly because of GT was here first and it has already large and established fanbase.
Also, a thing to note is, that sales indicate the Prologue versions eat away some of the full versions sales.

As a simulator, GT doesn't work that well as what its reputation is (well, haven't played 4 and 5P, so they do it better). I think the best way to describe what interests people in GT comes from Codemasters(?); it's a car collection game.

GT was somewhat revolutionary when it came out for having a number of different licensed cars, which you could actually tune up and switch parts (very limited, but still something that was practically unseen before). As a racing game, it's pretty bad, since the idea in racing in GT, is to collect money for new cars and parts for them.

First game in the series was really good, the second had more cars, but was very limited in other aspects, compared to first (even the simulation aspect was gimped down and the cars were more generic) the third was better than the second, but wasn't up to par with the first one (and that's when i got tired in the series).

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

@ stickyballs
None of those quotes outright said that it's a better game. They just hihglighted that Forza does a lot of things better than GT and vice versa.

Forza 1 outscored GT4 on GR because it was a new IP at the time and had little competition on the platform. GT4, despite being an improvement over the last game in the series, was docked points for being a sequel and lacking damage/online.
Forza 2 scored highly for being the first top notch racing sim of the generation, just like GT3 before it.