By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - why can't Forza sell like Gran Turismo

@Axumblade: Call that cherrypicking. If you colour the centence up to (including) "GT", you'll notice that i'm not talking about Dirt.
I wasn't sure was it Codemasters (not really the companys official take), but it was one of the british studios that are known for their racing games to pass the comment.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
bbsin said:
Tyrannical said:
Go read the various Forza1/2 reviews, where it is called a better game then GT.

go show it to us.

[quote[

From IGN:

I can go on and on about the nuances and the plusses and minuses of Forza Motorsport, but the real thing is this: It's a hell of a racing simulation. There is nothing quite like it on Xbox, and fans who have been screaming for their own version of Gran Turismo finally have what they wanted.

Forza boasts an enormous amount of cars, tracks, and features, and it's got numerous qualities that GT doesn't have -- real car damage that affects performance and deals out consequences for poor driving. It's got people in the cars. What a crazy idea, I know, but you'll actually see people driving these cars, and where it's required, they drive on the right side of the car in Europe and Japan, and on the left side in the US. Nifty. It's easily got one of the most sophisticated, deep, and innovative online systems on the Xbox, with 1,400 leader boards, career online play, and class-based racing, with full support of cars clubs, and a huge laundry list of options from laps, car kinds, damage, you name it. It also packs a great customization feature both inside and out, a super cool progression scheme and point system, an excellently designed set of efficient menus, and the dopest soundtrack ripping feature ever -- continuous sound during loads.

Sure, it doesn't run at 60 FPS, it doesn't have 700 cars or 50-plus tracks, and it's not Gran Turismo, but in all fairness, MGS has done a superb, bang-up job their first time out. Forza is a force to be reckoned with, out-maneuvering GT4 in several respects, and beating out everything else in the sim department on Xbox, straight out. The fact is, Forza does some things better than GT4 and some things worse, but it's a must-have game, full stop. I highly recommend it.

[/quote]

Does not say it's a better game than any of the GTs

From Gamerankings

Simon and I spent the next half hour gabbing about cars and the ways we love them. He loves European sedans and exotic racers. I love Japanese imports. But just like the game will prove to be when you play it with your friends on Xbox Live, Forza was our common ground -- a meta-place where we could geek out about cars. Sure, it may not run at 60 frames-per-second, and it might lack true feedback support for its Fanatec Speedster wheel (which isn't exactly worth its $150 price tag, by the way), Forza has upped the bar on sim racing. This is by far the most realistic console racer ever made, and it's hands-down the best racing game on Xbox. Congratulations to the team at Microsoft Game Studios for pulling off a minor miracle.

TBH. I have always believed Forza was a better game than GT4. It was more realistic in almost every sense besides car detail than GT4. Regardless, not once in this review have the reviewer said anything about the game being better than GT.

Another one from Gamerankings:

Final words: Xbox owners now have a racing game which actually keeps up with Gran Turismo 4 and beats it in some cases.

*some cases*

Those are a few quotes. For the record, and if you'd like: Forza Motorsports 1 has a 3 point higher average ranking than Gran Turismo 4, as does Forza 2. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if GT4 is the definitive "best" of the Turismo series, then why have both Forza iterations outscored it by critics?

GTA4 is hardly the "best" of the series. Is it the most up to date? yes. But did it improve enough upon the rest of the series like GT3 did? no, did it live up to potential? no. Did it execute? no

What you're doing is hand picking the worse GT game and using it as the basis of the entire franchise when you were first one to bring up the "series" as a whole.

With that being said, lets get one thing clear.

Forza, as a series, is by no means "bad". No one is arguing against that it's a great franchise and worthy of living up to GT. But here's where YOU made a mistake.

"It's laughable seeing Sony fanboys argue that GT is the better series. If your comparing how "close" racing sims are to the real deal, Forza has always been the more realistic series in every way" - stickball

Do you really think that it's not arguable that GT is the better series? Tell me, do you know how a lancer Evo feels when the weight shifts at high speeds? Do you know that Nissan, Mercedes Benz, Mitsubishi, etc have all let PD and Kaz test their cars before they are even unveiled to the public? Or how about the fact that Kaz was the first person outside of Mitsubishi to test drive EVO X because they knew that no one else would spend that much time programming cars to be like the real thing? Did you also know that the best professional drivers and drifters in the world have given input to make handling as realistic as possible?

Honestly now. Why in the world do you think it takes so long to make a GT game opposed to a Forza game? the car models of Forza are built around an engine that calculates the physics and handling of all cars based on specs. GT has always done the details of every car based on each specific one and direct input from drivers/manufacturers. Just go to any popular autoshow event and ask some of the enthusiast what game is more like the "real thing", or find a television special about the franchise. The people that only base "realism" on crash effects are usually the ones that are ignorant and oblivious to what makes GT great in the first place.

With GT:5 not expected until 2010, would it be fair to compare the $29.99 Forza 2 platinum hits (with all DLC included) to the $39.99 Gran Turismo 5 prologue?
I say yes. Anything that costs $40 isn't a demo.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

@bbsin: I do agree that complaining about missing crash effects, is missing what GT is all about, but since it calls itself "simulator", there should be the damage. Although, you can't blame PD or Sony about it, since if you are licensing cars, you usually have to do as the license allows, and car manufacturers aren't too happy about combining "crash", "damage" and "their car". It was pretty interesting, that M$ got the crash damage to their games in the first place, but it's expected to come a standard later on.

I think you maybe put a little too much weight to PD and the relations between different car manufacturers. What the games essentially are to the car manufacturers, is advertizing.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Forza is definitely a better simulation, no doubt about that. GT is something like playstation and PES, i mean that people will buy it because is a good game, but the main reason is the brand name...

Around the Network
bbsin said:

With that being said, lets get one thing clear.

Forza, as a series, is by no means "bad". No one is arguing against that it's a great franchise and worthy of living up to GT. But here's where YOU made a mistake.

"It's laughable seeing Sony fanboys argue that GT is the better series. If your comparing how "close" racing sims are to the real deal, Forza has always been the more realistic series in every way" - stickball

Do you really think that it's not arguable that GT is the better series? Tell me, do you know how a lancer Evo feels when the weight shifts at high speeds? Do you know that Nissan, Mercedes Benz, Mitsubishi, etc have all let PD and Kaz test their cars before they are even unveiled to the public? Or how about the fact that Kaz was the first person outside of Mitsubishi to test drive EVO X because they knew that no one else would spend that much time programming cars to be like the real thing? Did you also know that the best professional drivers and drifters in the world have given input to make handling as realistic as possible?

Honestly now. Why in the world do you think it takes so long to make a GT game opposed to a Forza game? the car models of Forza are built around an engine that calculates the physics and handling of all cars based on specs. GT has always done the details of every car based on each specific one and direct input from drivers/manufacturers. Just go to any popular autoshow event and ask some of the enthusiast what game is more like the "real thing", or find a television special about the franchise. The people that only base "realism" on crash effects are usually the ones that are ignorant and oblivious to what makes GT great in the first place.

Dude, I hate to burst your bubble but you've fallen prey to marketing. GT has never been made with the goal of simulating real car behaviour - there are several youtube videos you can check where the game's faulty physics are exposed. GT (and Forza) car behaviour models are made with the goal of being fun, accessible and provide a make-believe realism feeling to immerse you.

A real car simulator wouldn't sell half what those games sell because real racing simulators are difficult and frustrating. All those events you speak about are cross-marketing events set up by pr. The car maker gets exposure to the playstation audience, GT gets to mingle with the automotive industry, both brands score a win. Heck, Microsoft set up several of those as well back when Forza 2 was close to release. You don't need a "real driving simulator" for that to happen, just a competent PR team.

A twelve year old kid who's never touched a real car can load up GT or Forza and in a few months he'll be scoring top times. Real race drivers need years of practice to approach those times in real life. If you really think handling a two ton v12 is anything similar to what GT or Forza "simulate" I have a bridge to sell you.

If you want to play a much proper simulator, I'd suggest you check out ww.lfs.net. Gotta warn you, there are no marketing dollars spent on LFS to convince you that it's the real deal but it's closer than whatever you get to play on a console.

What GT has always gotten right while Forza still struggles with is in transmitting the passion of racing. Both Forza games are much drier than any of GT's iterations. Now that's a very important merit - but it has nothing to do with any supposed realism.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

people who think forza is better than GT, you should go and ask someone who knows anything about cars games and tell him that! he will laugh at you, actually most may not even know what forza is.

eliasg said:

Forza is definitely a better simulation, no doubt about that. GT is something like playstation and PES, i mean that people will buy it because is a good game, but the main reason is the brand name...

xbox fanboys will say forza is better, PS fanboys will say GT is better. other gamers who dont spend all their time on internet game sites and game forums will automatically say GT is better because they dont know what forza is

axumblade said:
bdbdbd said:
@Axumblade: Call that cherrypicking. If you colour the centence up to (including) "GT", you'll notice that i'm not talking about Dirt.
I wasn't sure was it Codemasters (not really the companys official take), but it was one of the british studios that are known for their racing games to pass the comment.

I was half awake when I made the comment and what I was doing wasn't cherrypicking.

I was simply saying that Grid was made by Codemasters. I realize Dirt was made by Codemasters but I didn't mention Dirt in the first place. Gran Turismo is made by Polyphonic Digital.

that was cherrypicking. ;)

It's Polyphony Digital.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

eliasg said:

Thank god! Now that you've said that, I'm relieved!

Everybody can say whatever he feels like over and over again without a decent argument.