By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Resistance 2 is the best looking console shooter this year.

We've seen the footage of the game in action, analyzed the screenshots, and debated on its validity in the shooter space.  Now the question comes- (We aren't talking sales or gameplay), is Resistance 2 the best looking console shooter to date?

My take: Yes. 

1. First off, I've heard some people complaining about the textures, and thats a big myth.  The textures in Resistance 2 are better than Gears of War 2.

Secondly, the game has an insane lighting engine.  Resistance 2 just recently added self shadowing and the reults are fantastic.  Just look at the shadows in this photo:

3. The environment is VAST.  There are ships flying in the air, explosions all over the place, and tons of enemies on screen at one time.  Notice in this photo there are planes in the background, explosions going off by themselves, two goliaths, and one chimera.  In the Co-Op there are moments where there are over a hundred enemies of all sizes coming after you.:

4. An INSANE amount of character detail.  While doing ALL of what I mentioned before, the game manages to have characters as detailed as Metal Gear Solid 4's Snake.  Look at this guy:

5. Finally, Animations!! The game uses Motion Captured (not an easy feat) animations for the characters.  Both the running and death animations were captured at a Sony Mo-Cap facility in Santa Monica.  Here is an example of a Mo-cap death:

Console Agnostic since 2001.

Around the Network

The lighting is fantastic.

It does look better than Gears.

I wonder why we haven't heard much of Gears as of late, I assume it's still under embargo.

i still dont think much of R2 didnt like the first one and this really isnt the best ive ever seen and the shadows you sound as if it has never happend b4
cod4 halo3 bioshock etc all used those shadows

Feel free to check out my 8 montages at www.youtube.co.uk/stonj 

you can also find me at myspace.com/jamiestoner47 and on facebook

XBL :: stonj

Bleh... all look the same too me.. pull a little on the curves.. contrast.. brightness.. et voila:

Gears of resistance

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

>_> My brain is starting to hurt from these threads...

Former something....

Around the Network
stonj said:
i still dont think much of R2 didnt like the first one and this really isnt the best ive ever seen and the shadows you sound as if it has never happend b4
cod4 halo3 bioshock etc all used those shadows

Shadows have been done before, but not to the extent of the photo I showed on a consoel shooter.  Resistance 2 also runs at 720p, while COD4 runs at 660p and Halo 3 at 640p.  The game itself is really a muscle twister, I think your ignoring the merits of some of those screens.

DMeisterJ said:
The lighting is fantastic.

It does look better than Gears.

I wonder why we haven't heard much of Gears as of late, I assume it's still under embargo.

Agreed.

Also, for the people saying bioshock, bioshock doesn't have anywhere near the amount of effects of enemies on screen.

I actually agree with the talking parrot. Gears still has time to show how good it looks, but RESISTANCE has passed it which is quite amazing.

LOOK AT THE COLORS!!!

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

I have seen plenty of footage of both and still think that Gears 2 gets the nod. Sorry, my opinion. We shall have to wait and see once both full releases are available. A better comparison can be made at that time.

You will still have to sort through Fanboy arguments, regardless. I think that R2 looks fantastic, but Gears 2 is a step above....even if it is, a small step.