By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - BD loses ground to DVD even with $199 BD players

Laserdisc was popular in Japan too. That country is full of videophiles.

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

Around the Network
FinalEvangelion said:
I know around here in Japan, Blu-ray has a much better market share than it does in the US. Blu-ray recorders are very popular because it is a great way for people to record their HD shows and keep the same quality. I don't think the US has any BD recorders as of yet because of all the red-tape to get through the Copyright laws.

Here, they sell BD recorders and BD-R discs at grocery stores. BD-R discs only run about $3-6 each, with $6 being for BD-RE.

Anyway, I've always seen BD taking off more when recorder drives in computers / standalone drives get cheaper. I'm not sure why there is such a big technology gap between Japan and US. I do remember in 2005 when I was in Japan, stores were primarily displaying HDTVs while in America, they were still displaying SDTVs, primarily. 2007 is when we started seeing HDTVs more in America.

With Digital Downloads eventually (which they are still at .6% of the US Video market according to NPD), Blu-ray recorders could be a nice asset for storage.

well, I guess that means I'll be moving to Japan!

crap. now i have to try learn Japanese...lol

but are you serious? $6 for a BD-R? Wow.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

holy shite that is cheap, just the blanks are running us $17-4x for 25-50gb

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-language/product/B0013U1WE4/ref=dp_change_lang?ie=UTF8&language=en_JP

Here is a pack of 10 for a little over $40.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

FinalEvangelion said:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-language/product/B0013U1WE4/ref=dp_change_lang?ie=UTF8&language=en_JP

Here is a pack of 10 for a little over $40.

*packs bags for Japan*

*sings(badly)* I'm leaving on a jetplane...

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Around the Network

Problem is the difference between DVD and Blu Ray doesn't justify the difference in price between DVDs and Blu Ray. As a result I think Blu Ray will always struggle unless movie makers decide they want to kill off DVD (maybe because they have been bribed by blu-ray manufacturers) and stop releasing movies on DVD altogether, thereby forcing people to buy blu-ray.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

I think Blu Ray is being adopted and these articles are a tad bit on the pessimistic side.

Rob6021 said:
bbsin said:
Rob6021 said:
There's no reason for blu-ray disks to not be the same price as DVDs, Their own greed is doing them in.

right, and there's no reason why PS3s shouldn't be the same price as PS2s.... and HDTVs should also be the same price as SDTVs.

It only costs about 10% more to make a Blu ray disk vs a DVD rom disk when using mass duplication methods. Sure theres a bit more that goes into 'tuning' up the film and extras for 6x resolution - but I hightly doubt it is really all that much. Besides they've spent a long time finding the sweet spot for what people would want to buy a DVD for - blu ray customers really arn't all that different.

10%? maybe in terms of raw manufacturing. You're dismissing the security features and extra UI that's put in there. Once you add the licensing costs of a newer format with new tech, it'll come out alot more than 10%.

tuoyo said:
Problem is the difference between DVD and Blu Ray doesn't justify the difference in price between DVDs and Blu Ray. As a result I think Blu Ray will always struggle unless movie makers decide they want to kill off DVD (maybe because they have been bribed by blu-ray manufacturers) and stop releasing movies on DVD altogether, thereby forcing people to buy blu-ray.

But aren't there a lot of DVD manufacturers who also manufacture Blu-Ray? (Sony, TDK etc)

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

FinalEvangelion said:
I know around here in Japan, Blu-ray has a much better market share than it does in the US. Blu-ray recorders are very popular because it is a great way for people to record their HD shows and keep the same quality. I don't think the US has any BD recorders as of yet because of all the red-tape to get through the Copyright laws.

Here, they sell BD recorders and BD-R discs at grocery stores. BD-R discs only run about $3-6 each, with $6 being for BD-RE.

Anyway, I've always seen BD taking off more when recorder drives in computers / standalone drives get cheaper. I'm not sure why there is such a big technology gap between Japan and US. I do remember in 2005 when I was in Japan, stores were primarily displaying HDTVs while in America, they were still displaying SDTVs, primarily. 2007 is when we started seeing HDTVs more in America.

With Digital Downloads eventually (which they are still at .6% of the US Video market according to NPD), Blu-ray recorders could be a nice asset for storage.

In occurance with NPD numbers for downloads that is a massive underestimate for movies via online services.

NPD do not include the following:

1. streaming figures

2. downloads via monthly payments

These 2 above are the most common types of usage through online services for movies in HD.

NPD figures only account for fully paid HD films that are downloaded. the % figure is about 35% off.