By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - BD loses ground to DVD even with $199 BD players

Sorry but Apple has never shipped a Mac with a BD drive or even added support. There are 3rd party burners, very recently, but they don't support video decoding at all so they are pretty useless for video. BD on PC/Mac is always where I expected it to have the most success considering its awesome storage, but that simply has not happened. There are lots of reasons for this but I think most of all it comes down to the death of physical media. Why buy a disc when I can stream the same stuff without all the overhead of new hardware, HDMI cables and finding a box that even supports it, ect. I don't think BD will die but I think it may not have much effect for PCs or DVD replacement. It is safe to say that it will thrive on the PS3 though.

XBL: WiiVault Wii: PM me  PSN: WiiVault

PC: AMD Athlon II Quadcore 635 (OC to 4.0ghz) , ATI Radeon 5770 1GB (x2)

MacBook Pro C2D 2.8ghz, 9600m GT 512 iMac: C2D 2.0, X2600XT 256

Around the Network
Spankey said:
tuoyo said:
Problem is the difference between DVD and Blu Ray doesn't justify the difference in price between DVDs and Blu Ray. As a result I think Blu Ray will always struggle unless movie makers decide they want to kill off DVD (maybe because they have been bribed by blu-ray manufacturers) and stop releasing movies on DVD altogether, thereby forcing people to buy blu-ray.

But aren't there a lot of DVD manufacturers who also manufacture Blu-Ray? (Sony, TDK etc)

Yes but Sony (and some other companies) would make money (royalty) from Onkyo for example selling a Blu Ray player.  They would not make money from Onkyo selling a DVD player (that would be Toshiba and some other companies).  So it is in Sony's interest for DVD to get killed off just as it was in their interest for HD DVD to get killed off (which is why each PS3 had to include a blu ray player even at the expense of huge losses). 

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Well yeah. The actual TOTAL BR Discs sold is WAY behind where DVD was at this point in time.

Like 10's of millions behind.  When Blu-ray was hitting 10 million sold in the USA.  DVD had hit 65 Million in the USA in the same time period.

Blu-ray's big deal has all been about "Increased drive adoption" which was mostly caused by the PS3 coming out early in blu-rays lifetime since all PS3's count as blu-ray players.

Had PS2 come out at a similar time....

It really isn't succeeding in general anywhere near the industry likes to spin it... they really desperatly WANT it to succeed but they aren't ready yet for the "You have to adjust" push... because it's just another disc, they can't really justify it.  So they'll try as hard as they can from behind the scenes to get people to switch.

The fact that people think Blu-ray has been an unprecedented success when it's rise has actually been anemic compared to DVD proves this.

tuoyo said:

Yes but Sony (and some other companies) would make money (royalty) from Onkyo for example selling a Blu Ray player.  They would not make money from Onkyo selling a DVD player (that would be Toshiba and some other companies).  So it is in Sony's interest for DVD to get killed off just as it was in their interest for HD DVD to get killed off (which is why each PS3 had to include a blu ray player even at the expense of huge losses). 

oh ok that makes sense

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

frybread said:

DVD offered many advantages over VHS.

No rewinding, ability to skip to any scene, interactive features, widescreen (rare on vhs), took up less space, and finally: picture quality.

Blu-Ray offers just one advantage: picture quality...

...AND uncompressed sound, TWO noticable advantages. People need to realize that going the HD route is far more than just upgrading a 19" SDTV to a 32" SDTV. That's just a little more than incremental. Going from SD to HD (Blu-ray) is a whole new ball game. To really take fulll advantage of Blu-ray, you need a 1080p HDTV AND a sound receiver that supportS uncompressed sound. All your equipment pretty much needs to be new. But the sound quality still sounds better on a non-uncompressed audio supporting receiver. I think the main reason for the decline is because of a lagging economy and high gas prices. Otherwise, I don't see why it wouldn't be business as usual.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Around the Network
frybread said:
Laserdisc was popular in Japan too. That country is full of videophiles.

And those consumers enjoyed having a Laserdisc.

Jordahn said:
frybread said:

No rewinding, ability to skip to any scene, interactive features, widescreen (rare on vhs), took up less space, and finally: picture quality.

...AND uncompressed sound, TWO noticable advantages. People need to realize that going the HD route is far more than just upgrading a 19" SDTV to a 32" SDTV. That's just a little more than incremental. Going from SD to HD (Blu-ray) is a whole new ball game. To really take fulll advantage of Blu-ray, you need a 1080p HDTV AND a sound receiver that supportS uncompressed sound. All your equipment pretty much needs to be new. But the sound quality still sounds better on a non-uncompressed audio supporting receiver. I think the main reason for the decline is because of a lagging economy and high gas prices. Otherwise, I don't see why it wouldn't be business as usual.

You are kidding right?  I have a £1000 HD projector, an £800 surround sound receiver and an £800 speaker package and I got a £300 Sky HD satellite box and pay £10 a month extra for HD sibscription.  I can tell you that even with these there is no way buying HD discs is worth the money.   HD does not offer any great advantage that makes it worth any substantial outlay.  I would still rather buy a DVD for £5 than a blu ray of the same movie for £10.  Now that's even with me already having all the required equipment.  Imagine how the average person that needs to upgrade all his equipment would think.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

BD is losing ground due to the poor and shamble economy we are in, people are penny pinching like crazy right now. Many people are fine losing some image quality at the price of 7-15 dollars a dvd compared to 20-30 dollars a blu-ray.

tuoyo said:
Jordahn said:
frybread said:

You are kidding right?  I have a £1000 HD projector, an £800 surround sound receiver and an £800 speaker package and I got a £300 Sky HD satellite box and pay £10 a month extra for HD sibscription.  I can tell you that even with these there is no way buying HD discs is worth the money.   HD does not offer any great advantage that makes it worth any substantial outlay.  I would still rather buy a DVD for £5 than a blu ray of the same movie for £10.  Now that's even with me already having all the required equipment.  Imagine how the average person that needs to upgrade all his equipment would think.

No I'm not kidding, and I'll tell you why.  The only way you are going to readily get 1080p with uncompressed sound and disc extras for the time being is with Blu-ray.  You are of the OPINION that Blu-ray isn't worth the money which I can respect.   If some people are willing to pay extra to get extra, then so be it.  CD's were more expensive that cassettes, and DVD's were more expensive than VHS.  Some people were willing to pay extra then, and some people are willing to pay extra now.  Nothing wrong with that.  You CANNOT fault someone for acting on their own preference when they can afford to.  And about the average person, the way I see it is that Blu-ray isn't for the average person for the time being.  HD is catering more towards the HD enthusist.  I for one never though that Blu-ray will be dominant/mainstream.  As long as it has its target audience, and it's worth the content providers' business venture when both parties are happy.

frybread said:

Blu-Ray offers just one advantage: picture quality.

And Uncompressed Dolby True Surround Sound