By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - BD loses ground to DVD even with $199 BD players

hibikir said:
On a typical store, considering a mainstream release, Blu-Ray is at least 50% more expensive than the equivalent DVD. I'd rather have 3 DVDs than 2 Blu-Ray movies. Therefore, I don't buy any.

That's why I do Amazon.  :)

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Around the Network
Jordahn said:
tuoyo said:
Jordahn said:
tuoyo said:
Jordahn said:

No I'm not kidding, and I'll tell you why. The only way you are going to readily get 1080p with uncompressed sound and disc extras for the time being is with Blu-ray. You are of the OPINION that Blu-ray isn't worth the money which I can respect. If some people are willing to pay extra to get extra, then so be it. CD's were more expensive that cassettes, and DVD's were more expensive than VHS. Some people were willing to pay extra then, and some people are willing to pay extra now. Nothing wrong with that. You CANNOT fault someone for acting on their own preference when they can afford to. And about the average person, the way I see it is that Blu-ray isn't for the average person for the time being. HD is catering more towards the HD enthusist. I for one never though that Blu-ray will be dominant/mainstream. As long as it has its target audience, and it's worth the content providers' business venture when both parties are happy.

See that's where you are wrong. The real benefit in the jump from cassette to cd and vhs to dvd was not the picture and sound. On the tv sizes and technology (CRT) that were available at the time you couldn't really tell a major difference between vhs and dvd. It is only with flat screens (and their crap performance with anything with a poor quality source) and with surround sound systems being more readily available that you noticed a difference in sound and picture quality. The real benefit was not having to bother with rewinding and forwarding and not having to worry about your tapes wearing out from significant use. This is especially true in the case of music. Quality is not the reason why cd had a strong uptake. Otherwise how do you explain the fact that mp3s are killing off cds?

Blu Ray unfortunately does not offer that advantage over DVD which is why I think unless Blu Ray manufacturers force it on people by making movie studios stop producing movies on DVD I don't think it is going to have a chance.

Where you are wrong is that you CANNOT accept the FACT that your statements are OPINION. No matter how you want to spin this, there are improvement from DVD to Blu-ray, and the difference and cost are all relative from person to person. Just accept the FACT that not everyone will have the same perception as you, and that doesn't make you better or worse. I for one (and others) saw and heard the difference between a VHS and a DVD on a 25" tube Sharp SDTV back in late 2000. But guess what, you don't see me shoving it down people's throats.

Blu-ray is great and worth it for some while not for others, and that's okay. Just accept it, and stop being so self-righeous and closed-minded. And in regards to mp3, some people are willing to trade quality for convenience. It worked for 8-tracks when compared to turn-table albums. Besides, it's becoming more commonplace for audio products to offer quality enhancing options for mp3 playback. "Killing off cds" is at the best subjective. And really, there is a different mentality and aesthetics between listening to music and watching a movie. That's always been a bad comparison.

Where you are wrong is that you have a problem with comprehension and putting yourself in the place of the average person...

Stop right there because this is where your argument falls apart.  It seems YOU "have a problem with comprehension" because earlier I did say:

"And about the average person, the way I see it is that Blu-ray isn't for the average person for the time being."

And I also said:

"Where you are wrong is that you CANNOT accept the FACT that your statements are OPINION."

So please let me restate that please do not force you opinion as fact.  People have different opinions, neither which is right or wrong.  "Is that so difficult to understand?"

Okay I do not understand.  You say Blu-ray is not for the average person for the time being.  I say the average person would not pick Blu Ray over DVD due to the price difference.  Yet you say I am stating an opinion here as fact.  Please tell me this opinion you are referring to that is so wrong. 

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Jordahn said:
hibikir said:
On a typical store, considering a mainstream release, Blu-Ray is at least 50% more expensive than the equivalent DVD. I'd rather have 3 DVDs than 2 Blu-Ray movies. Therefore, I don't buy any.

That's why I do Amazon. :)

and your point is???? ratio of the price difference is the same at amazon.  looking at the same movie on amazon it'll still have that price difference.

I've had this kind of conversation dozens of times. There's people out there who actually believe 4k DCI compliance will make people go back to the cinema theaters but the truth is the vast majority doesn't give a crap. Same goes for blue-ray.

The ONLY thing that'll make sales go up and consumers caring about image quality again will be shutting off the p2p networks. Free has a lot of value and as long as blue ray or 3d movies or 4k DCI cost money versus 0$ for a torrented movie things won't go up again. Once that backdoor is shutdown and people at large is paying for content again, they'll care to get the best quality for their money.

France will be an interesting case study. If all goes well the three strike law should pass soon and become effective first January.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).