By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - VGChartz Playstation Trophy League

MasterVG71782 said:
Tbone said:
@Arcturus

How come WKC is 5 star and WKC2 4 stars platinum?

Both take the same amount of time to plat.

Great work as always though.

Both are rated as an 8/10 in the Platinum Difficulty threads on PS3Trophies.org, which would make them both a 4 star right now. However, given the amount of time that is needed to plat both games, I feel that they should both be 5 stars. WKC1 took me 513 hours to plat, which was all gameplay where I was there (no AFK gameplay at all), and I hear WKC2 takes around the same. Also, WKC2 has that one tough boss battle that is a trophy and the overall game might be considered more challenging than the first.

I'll take another look.

Around the Network
MasterVG71782 said:
Tbone said:
@Arcturus

How come WKC is 5 star and WKC2 4 stars platinum?

Both take the same amount of time to plat.

Great work as always though.

Both are rated as an 8/10 in the Platinum Difficulty threads on PS3Trophies.org, which would make them both a 4 star right now. However, given the amount of time that is needed to plat both games, I feel that they should both be 5 stars. WKC1 took me 513 hours to plat, which was all gameplay where I was there (no AFK gameplay at all), and I hear WKC2 takes around the same. Also, WKC2 has that one tough boss battle that is a trophy and the overall game might be considered more challenging than the first.

The issue is that ratings on ps3trophies.org varie over time and they have different ways to rate games.

The page of a game will give a game difficulty rating based on the average vote( or mean in mathematical terms).

Then they have another page that ranks games based on median values :

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/games/93140-collected-trophy-difficulty-ratings.html

I'm not sure which is best.

Ideally I would tend to say median value as the final number is less skewed if one lone dude votes a game 1 or 10.

The other issue is that it seems that after a while they stop updating the difficulty rating in the poll .

One example :

Dungeon defenders is rated at 8.4 difficulty.

But if you do the maths the average vote is actually 7.95, I can't explain the difference except maybe more people voted after they computed the average or in their formula they do some weird stuff like removing the top and worse vote...( would only give 8.05 so it isn't that).

And while the average is 7.95, the median is actually 9.0. ( the thread I listed lists the average at 8.03 instead of my 7.95 but it was last updated on 1/20 so most likely another person voted in between).

So anyway my point is that maybe it woudn't be a bad idea to move from using the average ratings to use the mean ratings instead ( especially as most games difficulty threads always have a few trolls that vote the game totally differently from everyone else).

PS : NGS2 is the highest rated game with a median of 10 and a mean of 9.31

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Ail said:

The issue is that ratings on ps3trophies.org varie over time and they have different ways to rate games.

The page of a game will give a game difficulty rating based on the average vote( or mean in mathematical terms).

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/games/93140-collected-trophy-difficulty-ratings.html

Ideally I would tend to say median value as the final number is less skewed if one lone dude votes a game 1 or 10.

The other issue is that it seems that after a while they stop updating the difficulty rating in the poll .

One example :

But if you do the maths the average vote is actually 7.95, I can't explain the difference except maybe more people voted after they computed the average or in their formula they do some weird stuff like removing the top and worse vote...( would only give 8.05 so it isn't that).

And while the average is 7.95, the median is actually 9.0. ( the thread I listed lists the average at 8.03 instead of my 7.95 but it was last updated on 1/20 so most likely another person voted in between).

So anyway my point is that maybe it woudn't be a bad idea to move from using the average ratings to use the mean ratings instead ( especially as most games difficulty threads always have a few trolls that vote the game totally differently from everyone else).

Yeah, that's according to the difficulty threads they have, and they do make a point that how much time is required to platinum a game should have no effect on the difficulty rating you give. However, it's been pointed out here (the majority seemed to believe so, I think) that they should have an effect on the platinum rating they have, considering some games can take upwards of like 500+ hours to get the platinum (500+ hours include you actually being in control that whole time; some games include Gran Turismo 5, WKC1 and 2, Star Ocean 4, etc; on the opposite end, Mortal Kombat is a long platinum, but the most time consuming trophy doesn't require you to be at the controller).

PS - And yes, I know there are many trolls on the site who low/high-ball a game's score (voting a 1 or 10) on purpose.

@Ail
Dragon's Dogma looks incredible based on the trailer. Hope the story will be as good as the action & visuals. Dogma is on my watch list as well as Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City. Keeping fingers crossed that they both turn out great.

MasterVG71782 said:
Ail said:

One example :

Yeah, that's according to the difficulty threads they have, and they do make a point that how much time is required to platinum a game should have no effect on the difficulty rating you give. However, it's been pointed out here (the majority seemed to believe so, I think) that they should have an effect on the platinum rating they have, considering some games can take upwards of like 500+ hours to get the platinum (500+ hours include you actually being in control that whole time; some games include Gran Turismo 5, WKC1 and 2, Star Ocean 4, etc; on the opposite end, Mortal Kombat is a long platinum, but the most time consuming trophy doesn't require you to be at the controller).

PS - And yes, I know there are many trolls on the site who low/high-ball a game's score (voting a 1 or 10) on purpose.

That's why I would advise to use the median value for difficulty instead of the average as it tends to lower the effect of outliers votes.

And yes I agree with you the time it takes to plat a game should be taken into account, but in all fairness even if they say it should not have an impact, you can see with the votes on most games that people take it into account...

Around the Network

At this rhythm i'm going to pulverize my resolution to read 52 novels in 2012...
It's not the end of January and I am already up to 11 novels read.. These last two weeks I have actually spent more time reading than gaming. No clue why I'm just in the mood to read and now that I have my whole music collection on amazon cloud player it's really nice to read on my kindle fire and listen to my music at the same time with the same device...

So from the games I have and games Im waiting to come looks like I have some easy platinums(Assasins creed 2, uncharted 3 and good of war collection) and some hard (Final Fantasy 13 and Star Ocean 4 International), the retail games on the PSN have platinums right?

MANUELF said:
Retail games on the PSN have platinums right?

Yes they do, would be silly if they didn't

Got my 50th platinum last night with Crysis, fun game :)

Ail said:
At this rhythm i'm going to pulverize my resolution to read 52 novels in 2012...
It's not the end of January and I am already up to 11 novels read.. These last two weeks I have actually spent more time reading than gaming. No clue why I'm just in the mood to read and now that I have my whole music collection on amazon cloud player it's really nice to read on my kindle fire and listen to my music at the same time with the same device...

You can read at the same time as listening to music and not get mind-fucked by that?  That reminds me of trying to read textbooks for college when the TV was on and retaining none of it.