By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Malstrom: Why Wii Music is Genius

Paul_Warren said:

Personally, I hope it fails. Then maybe real gaming will make a comeback some day and people will forget the pablum Nintendo has been spoon feeding the masses to generate sales for its technologically weak console.

Well aren't you an angry bitter misinformed little person. You really should just lighten up and enjoy your PS3, and the fact there's plenty of the room in this market for it and two other home consoles.

The rest of your post is just filled with terrible misinformation, incomplete thoughts, and senseless ranting.

The whole arfitcal shortage thing as been argued to death here. (As Gamerace said, this is a sales site.) The Wii is out pacing every other home and handheld console ever made in production and sales. And Europe and Japan generally don't suffer from supply shortages and it still sells exceptionally. The Wii is in short demand because people want it. Things like Cabbage Patch Dolls, Tickle Me Elmo's, and other holiday fads did't continue to remain in short stock two years after their release.

I'm not sure what if any your point on Wii Fit and Yourself Fitness is? That Nintendo fine tuned and improved and already established concept to tap into a realtively uncatered to market? That's exactly what Harmonix and Red Octane did with Guitar Hero/Rockband after looking at Konami's series of arcade insturment games. (Yourself Fitness was an XBOX orginal game as well, not a 360 title.)

You complain that they new iterations of long established franchises aren't as good as their orginals, which is just personal opinion. One that's common amongst many HD games like Devil May Cry 4, Ninja Gaiden 2, Grand Theft Auto IV, etc.

You make the same incorrect Rock Band/Guitar Hero compatrison to Wii Music a lot of people do. (Rock Band was actually announced after Wii Music) You fail to realize Wii Music has far more in common with titles such as Mario Paint or Electroplankton.

You seem to think you're personal tastes equate to real world sales. (SE remakes are what's keeping the DS afloat?)

Seriously, you need to loosen up a good bit. On a personal note, thanks for making it obvious Mummelman is just insecure Wii and/or Malstrom hater. I apperciate that.

Around the Network

"@Paul Warren: Yeah. But what are you going to do about it? Whine at internet forums?"

I guess and hope it has some effect. Its not like I could go into a store and take a sledge hammer to them all...even if that wasn't illegal, I still couldn't do it because Nintendo purposefully tries to keep them out of stores (either that or the employees working at Game stores are the ones that are really buying them with their employee discounts and then selling them on Ebay for $300 to $400.00 instead of the $250 that they are supposed to cost.)

My most anticipated games:  Whatever Hideo Kojima is going to do next, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Gran Turismo 5, Alan Wake, Wii Sports Resort.  Cave Story Wiiware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqqLMgbtrB8

"The whole arfitcal shortage thing as been argued to death here. (As Gamerace said, this is a sales site.) The Wii is out pacing every other home and handheld console ever made in production and sales. And Europe and Japan generally don't suffer from supply shortages and it still sells exceptionally. The Wii is in short demand because people want it. Things like Cabbage Patch Dolls, Tickle Me Elmo's, and other holiday fads did't continue to remain in short stock two years after their release."

Listen, answer this question. If Nintendo is making 1.8 million Wii's in their North American factory each month, and they sell 1 million in stores, then why aren't the other .8 million also in stores to be sold to people that are only getting vouchers that one day they will get one?

"One that's common amongst many HD games like Devil May Cry 4, Ninja Gaiden 2, Grand Theft Auto IV, etc."

I already demonstrated that GTA IV is the best one.

"You make the same incorrect Rock Band/Guitar Hero compatrison to Wii Music a lot of people do. (Rock Band was actually announced after Wii Music) You fail to realize Wii Music has far more in common with titles such as Mario Paint or Electroplankton."

I guess you're talking about Miyamoto's statement about how he had hinted that there might be some kind of muisc game coming to the Wii at E3 2006.  That was quite a way from an official announcement and Rock Band came out in 2007 one year before Wii Music was officially released.  If Wii Music was offically announced two years ago at E3 and yet was still supposed to be the Wii's big announcement of E3 2008, then that's even worse news for Nintendo fans.  They wasted all that time making that instead of trying to make a real game?  Being foolish enough to think its announcement was going to rival the 360's Final Fantasy XIII announcement for scene stealing moment of the show is one thing.  It can just be chalked down to foolishness, but really putting all that time, resources, into the development into something only to come out with Wii Music?  That would just be a horrible waste. 

In the same category as Elektroplankton and Mario Paint?  Those are your little niche titles.  None of those deserves to sell more than a Zelda game and certainly not to be your big unveil of one of your most important sales conference of the year.  Those are things for the back of Nintendo Power not the cover.  The Wii is taking bottom of the barrel stuff and putting it on the top for those that don't know any better.  So they've reinvented Yourself!Fitness, Pong, and the kazoo.  Big whoop!  Where are the real games.  Nintendo fans saying, "Oh they're coming.  Disaster:  Day of Crisis is going to be the ultimate action adventure game and Cursed Mountain is going to be better than any Resident Evil."  It didn't happen with Disaster and I doubt it will happen with Cursed Mountain as well.

"You seem to think you're personal tastes equate to real world sales. (SE remakes are what's keeping the DS afloat?)"

The only times this year other than at Rhythm Heaven's release when the DS has sold more copies for the week than the PSP has been at the launches of Square-Enix rpgs.

My most anticipated games:  Whatever Hideo Kojima is going to do next, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Gran Turismo 5, Alan Wake, Wii Sports Resort.  Cave Story Wiiware.

RolStoppable said:

So if Malstrom isn't trustworthy because he is too biased towards Nintendo, who else should I read when I want to know what's happening and why in the videogames industry?

Gamespot.  Obviously.

:

"So if Malstrom isn't trustworthy because he is too biased towards Nintendo, who else should I read when I want to know what's happening and why in the videogames industry?"

Play Magazine. Dave Halverson and co. have been the kings of video game journalism ever since Diehard Gamefan in the '90s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamefan

http://playmagazine.com/

Around the Network
Paul_Warren said:

"The whole arfitcal shortage thing as been argued to death here. (As Gamerace said, this is a sales site.) The Wii is out pacing every other home and handheld console ever made in production and sales. And Europe and Japan generally don't suffer from supply shortages and it still sells exceptionally. The Wii is in short demand because people want it. Things like Cabbage Patch Dolls, Tickle Me Elmo's, and other holiday fads did't continue to remain in short stock two years after their release."

(1) Listen, answer this question. If Nintendo is making 1.8 million Wii's in their North American factory each month, and they sell 1 million in stores, then why aren't the other .8 million also in stores to be sold to people that are only getting vouchers that one day they will get one?

"One that's common amongst many HD games like Devil May Cry 4, Ninja Gaiden 2, Grand Theft Auto IV, etc."

(2) I already demonstrated that GTA IV is the best one.

"You seem to think you're personal tastes equate to real world sales. (SE remakes are what's keeping the DS afloat?)"

(3) The only times this year other than at Rhythm Heaven's release when the DS has sold more copies for the week than the PSP has been at the launches of Square-Enix rpgs.

1. First, Nintendo is making 2.4 million consoles a month right now, for the whole world, not just NA. And second, the answer is stockpiling for the holidays so that they won't have to airlift January's stock in to satiate holiday demand like they did last year.

2. No, you demonstrated that reviewers think it's the best one. If it really were the best GTA, the PS3 version of GTA IV wouldn't be getting consistantly outsold by two other PS2 GTA games in the Americas.

3. Are you high? Japan isn't the only market for handhelds. EU is buying more of them than anybody else and I can't find a single Squeenix DS game in the top 50. NA comes in second for handheld sales, with FF IV 'rescuing' the DS by clocking in at position 46, behind six Nintendo published DS games and five other 3rd party games.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

@ paul Wa**e*. Why are you bothering wasting your time writing in forums. You should be out making millions betting on future sports events etc. as you can obviously see into the future. As you seem to know uncharted is a better game than DDOC even though it's not even out yet? Why let your FANBOYISH ignorance get in the way of proper logic?

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

@Paul_Warren

Not sure why I'm even bothering here but...

1) They have increase production - again - to 2.3 million/month. Currently due to the weak US dollar they are sending the bulk to Europe where it's more profitable to sell them. Also they always stockpile for Christmas season so don't expect 2.3m / mth currently. At Christmas they'll be clearing 4-5m a month

They bottom line if you can't see from that chart on the front page is that demand is simply enormous making the Wii the fastest selling console in history. When you're already the fastest selling console you don't need to create artifical shortages. Heck, you have a real one....

3) Critics tend to minus points when things like graphics havn't improved. But the point is the majority of game on ALL systems still play like they did last generation. This is in fact Worse on PS3/360 where often the only real difference is in the presentation. But I'm sure you can cherry pick a couple that have done more but the majority play the same just look nicer. At least on Wii people get to interact with the game in a new innovative way.
And to make one RolStoppable happy let me note that MKWii is technically superior (more competitors) to MK:DD (which I never played - sorry Rol)

4) If you look at my sig you will see I'm not saying it'll sell well, the reverse in fact. However that's not because it isn't good, in fact in some ways it may be to good for it's own good. Most of us non-musical people would prefer to fake play with music with GH than really play with it in Wii Music. Myself included.

Alright. So up front I'll say I don't hate Wii Music, having not played it obviously, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't enjoy it.  Two main reasons. 

One, I don't like acting like im doing something without at least some involvement in skill.  DDR, Rockband, Guitar Hero, all these rythem games Wii Music lovers like to deride at least involve a level of skill, whereas Wii Music will not.

Two, I like video games, not digital play.  There is one major flaw in the article, and that is the author seems to miss the point of video games besides their pure entertainment value.  And that is how that entertainment is derived.  For us hard core gamers, it is skill.  For him and perhaps most casual gamers it is something else.

I can be either passive or i'm active (durr) playing a game.  When i'm active I want to effect the game, I want it to be a challenge, I want to compete, and I want to triumph.  There is none of that in Wii Music.  When i'm passive I want to be told a good story, I want to be compelled, I want the game to effect me.  There is none of that in Wii Music.

Also before I go any further, I'll say that the Wii is not a casual console per se.  It has alot of casual games, but it also has games geared towards hard core gamers (or what essentually used to be typical gamers).  Smash Bros., Mario Kart, Metroid, Zelda games are not casual games.

There are two main areas regarding the flaw I eluded to earler in his article.

I'll start with the most obvious, and it may be what has hard core gamers clash against casual gamers these days.  Hard core gamers want to play video games, mostely because they are video games, and they require a polished skill (puzzle solving, hand eye coordination, strategy), tell a great story, are competative, or etc. Most casual gamers that I know do not give a shit about that stuff.  They just want to play (using whatever medium).  A game can't be too hard that they need to spend time to polish skills, it should be easily picked up and played in short bursts.

"The sooner people accept there is no such thing as ‘video game’, the sooner they will realize the game industry is really about digital play."

So, unfortunately he's making a leap and completely disregarding a segement of the community.  There are such things as video games.

The area the flaw shows up is his comparison of music played to perfection vs. music played with feeling.  Not withstanding this comparison in itself begs the question, why can't a rythem game also be played with feeling?  It is the same when he compares playing cops and robbers or 'kill the terrorist' as a kid vs playing CoD4. He is again confusing playing a game that requires some skill/challenge with something the only requires you to exist.  Both can be fun, but one is a typical video game, the other is not.  Even the music played with feeling required a level of skill at least to play the song, the musician was not just letting his feelings take him away and start bashing on the piano.

Thus, Wii Music is not a toy, or a game, it is a compilation CD.  I'm sure families accross the world may find it fun, and it may sell several million copies even, but it is not a work of genius.

tl;dr The author doesn't play video games.  He plays cops and robbers.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

real gaming? what's real gaming? games of 80 hours with tons of dialogues and orchestral music?

That's not a game THAT'S A MOVIE.

Real gaming is the one that make syou have fun and gives you skill. There's no skill playing a 100 hour movie. Is tedium.

My favoite part of the post is this:

"After a history of successes that stretch before most gamers were born, it fascinates me that gamers still think they know more about making games than Shigeru Miyamoto.

You said you wanted games that aren’t sequels. You’re getting them.

You said you wanted games that create experiences never before seen. You’re getting them.

You said you wanted motion controls to be used to make games never possible on previous systems. You’re getting them."

You hardcores have the fault of the gaming getting rotten every day. I am glad your so-called real gaming is dying. It was about darn time.

PS: Would I like wii music? I dunno. maybe yes or maybe not. But calling it a "non game" is pathetic. In that case, FOR ME the GTA series are non games...BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT A GAME AT ALL!

See how moronic I sounded? so you!