By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony is phasing out the 60 gb to be replaced by the 80gb

ckmlb said:
BenKenobi88 said:
Is there going to be a period of time where there is just the limited edition 80 GB PS3 for sale then? And will it still be $600?

Or will Sony make sure to release the regular 80 GB model in time...

This is the question. And I am 99 percent sure no. But it's possible, even under that circumstance by the Holidays we knwo the new price of the PS3 and it is 500 dollars.

The reason why they aren't saying the 80 gb is gonna be normal after the special edition (though this is logical by the limtied on the box) is that they want people to buy some 80 gb versions and not wait for that to become 500 dollars and stagnate the sales of the limtied edition.

This all makes sense. Whoever hears this and freaks out that the PS3 price is going back up buys it now (people following this news online). Meanwhile, average joe goes to the store and buys the limited edition with the game because to him he is getting a deal.

This announcement will both boost further the sales of the 60 gb version and not stagnate 80 gb sales when it comes out.

I agree for the most part, except that "Whoever hears this and freaks out that the PS3 price is going back up buys it now (people following this news online)" doesn't make sense to me.

I have a friend who was interested in the PS3 more when he heard the 60 GB model was dropping to $500...he was getting ready to buy it almost.  Now that we're pretty sure an 80 GB model will cost $500 later this year...he's just gonna wait...he can wait a half year or so...and so can a lot of people if they're on the fence about buying a PS3.

I don't have $500 to put down for a PS3...but if I did, I'd wait for the 80 GB model to cost $500.  So...I see this slowing down potential sales, at least for news checkers.  The average consumer will see price cuts and buy it though, probably.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

Lol. I am not Gballzack either.

Avalach21 said:

1. I am not Gballzack. I have no idea where this came from. If I honestly need to prove that, I will.

How? Would you provide a photo? You are Gball. I'm sure  because of your post in Legends thread... Anyway someone should finish this multi account circus off.

People, drop the nonsense about gballzack.

I don't care  if it is or isn't.

If the person trolls, they'll get in trouble, plain and simple...so it doesn't matter.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

ckmlb said:
Still you don't understand why Sony wouldn't keep the price at 600 dollars after the 60 gb are sold out?

They can't do that because they already announced a price cut so that's it, retailers and consumers know that the price is 500 dollars now, the special edition is 600 dollars.

That's why it's guaranteed that the new sku will be 500 dollars.

ughh geeze.  Does it have to be said again?

I know you don't want to hear it.

ckmlb.  Everytime Sony sells a console, they lose money.  If they sell the console at $500, they lose more money than if they sell it at $600.

Sony is obviously trying to cut their loses, 1.By ripping people off by taking out the emotion engine, 2.By ripping people off for charging them 40 dollars for 20 gigabytes.  Obviously their main objective is to cut the amount of money they lose per system.  Now with that as their main objective, it's not hard to believe that they would also try to leave the system at a 600 dollar pricepoint.  They can do it in a slick way by putting out a system with more harddrive space and a "free" game.  If someone says "well the PS3 was 499 before"  Sony argues "Well now u get more harddrive space a free game (and no emotion engine, but you're just "average-joe" so you don't know/care.)"

Of course they don't add in what was said between the parenthesis

I hope you see this other string of logic which is entirely possible.

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout
Around the Network

Im with ckmlb on this one. I even think it will be $499 with a game and $469 without a game. I think it will be end of Oktober / begin of November (GTA 4) Sony goes down with the price of the 80 gig. Maybe earlier if(and only if) they sell out the 60 GB way before that point.

The "Emotion Engine" argument is a weak one people...I've yet to hear hardly any major complaints from either the hardcore EU crowd or the average joe EU gaming press about backwards compatibility...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM

This site has has one of the funniest forums I've been on. The "Goodbye Nintendo" thread ended so strange. And now people are pretending to be Gballzack or vice versa.

Avalach21 said:

ckmlb. Everytime Sony sells a console, they lose money. If they sell the console at $500, they lose more money than if they sell it at $600.

There is no information available that Sony are losing money on PS3 sales now.  Actually going on recent reports, the new 80GB PS3 without the EE and includes the new cheaper Blu-Ray components are actually making a reasonably healthy profit.

It has been reported that Sony have been making a marginal profit from PS3 sales in the US for a few months now and this is allowing them to reduce the price, not just to compete in the market, but because they CAN actually do it.

I honestly reckon that they are at least saving themselves $150 per PS3 build now compared to 6 months ago. 

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

kber81 said:
Avalach21 said:

1. I am not Gballzack. I have no idea where this came from. If I honestly need to prove that, I will.

How? Would you provide a photo? You are Gball. I'm sure  because of your post in Legends thread... Anyway someone should finish this multi account circus off.

Here's a picture of my girlfriend and I from about a year ago.

Here's my senior picture.

Here I am playing a show with my band.

Here I am blowing out birthday cake.

And finally, here I am with my girlfriend again at a baseball game.

Now cut the crap.  I am not Gballzack.

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout