By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony is phasing out the 60 gb to be replaced by the 80gb

According to Kotaku it's just a phase out for the 60gb. http://kotaku.com/gaming/say-what%3F/60gb-ps3-being-taken-out-to-pasture-278039.php The 80gb will still be 599. It's still a whole lot of speculation at this point. Could very well drop too. And at the same time it is gonna feel like there never was a price cut.

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:
ckmlb said:

I got it immediately. Comprehension is not the issue. Your solution is one possible way to handle it. They could also keep the price at 599 to recoup some of their billions of dollars in losses. They could also start a new standard edition that resembles the new UK bundle pack. They could remove more components and drop the price to 399! Yours is certainly quite possible, it's just not confirmed. That's why we all instantly jumped for a link -- you phrased this as if you knew with some certainty.

It would be as if I stated that Konami is ramping up their Wii development. Obviously that's logical, as almost every other major developer in the industry has publicly stated that they're doing that, but they haven't officially announced it.

Didn't Sony announce the PS3 price is now 500 dollars? Isn't it everywhere as 500 dollars? So you think they are suddenly gonna go back to 600 dollars even though all the retailers have put it up as 500 dollars?

The 500 dollar Sku is the new Sku because they have announced this as the new price of the PS3. The average consumer isn't going to understand how it went back to 600 dollars and they aren't gonna do that because first they can't pull that off and second retail would not accept that.

This is why I am so confidant. 

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

ckmlb said:

The emotion engine doesn't matter because backwards compatibility is working and it is being improved constantly just like the 360 did. The average person has no idea about backwards compatibility only we do and it's still not a big deal if it plays most of the games to be upgraded as time goes by...

It just boggles my mind how people don't know about BC.  One of my friends, complete hardcore gamer by anyone's definition and even works at NCSoft down in Austin didn't know about Wii BC.  I remember telling him about all these great Gamecube games he should play since he never had a Gamecube and he didn't have a clue what I was talking about since he though I was saying they were going to re-release all those games for the Wii.  When we finally realized we were talking about different things and the Wii did have BC it just completely blew his mind.

ckmlb said:
Avalach21 said:
ckmlb said:
60 dollar game + 20 gb of space might not be exactly 100 dollars of value but it's not exactly far off.

Also the average buyer has no idea about the emotion engine and couldn't care less, especially that even without it like almost all PS2 games play on the PS3.

I just got a 500gb harddrive for my computer last week. It was 100 dollars. (if u need a newegg link, i'll get it)

$60 game = $60.

I got 5 gigabytes per dollar.

$100-60=$40.

PS3, you get .5 gigabytes per dollar.

I'm sure you could find even better deals than I did on my harddrive, but I got 10x the value of storage for my harddrive. Of course we're comparing a PC harddrive to a Console harddrvie, but I mean, come on, 20gb is no where near 40 dollars.

And of course, we're no longer getting the true emotion engine.

So no, it's no where near 100 dollars.

Of coruse this is my opinion (I'd find it hard to disagree with me though...)

So you're telling me a value of 80 dollars is far from 100 dollars? lol

The emotion engine doesn't matter because backwards compatibility is working and it is being improved constantly just like the 360 did. The average person has no idea about backwards compatibility only we do and it's still not a big deal if it plays most of the games to be upgraded as time goes by... 

I don't know what math got you to 80 dollars.

And now you sound just like the company you are a fanboy of...

"oh, well, we install spyware on computers, but the average person has no idea, only we do!  So it's not a big deal."

I'm not going to sift through the fourms, but I'm sure you've bashed the 360's backwards compatibility at some point.  Software emulation is not as good as true hardware backwards compatibility.  Stop trying to justify it.  I proved you wrong and you basically agreed but said "it's not a big deal."  What does that show... geeze...

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout
ckmlb said:
There is no source for it, I'm going by logic.

Special edition = console + game = 600 dollars.

80 gb console + no game = 500 dollars.

End of limited edition.

new 80 gb console back to 500 dollars because this was the price cut they announced.

They are trying to get rid of the 60 gb units.

The reason why it will go down to 500 gb is because the new machine is cheaper to make than the old and they already established that price point.

Also, the 60 gb units won't sell out by the release of the limited edition. Meaning they will both be in the market at the same time.

By the time the 60 gb sells out the limited edition will either then or soon after end and the 80 gb is the new SKU at 500 dollars for the holidays.

Make sense?

Is it logic that it's an extra 100 dollars for the system with the game?

Around the Network
ckmlb said:
Bodhesatva said:
ckmlb said:

I got it immediately. Comprehension is not the issue. Your solution is one possible way to handle it. They could also keep the price at 599 to recoup some of their billions of dollars in losses. They could also start a new standard edition that resembles the new UK bundle pack. They could remove more components and drop the price to 399! Yours is certainly quite possible, it's just not confirmed. That's why we all instantly jumped for a link -- you phrased this as if you knew with some certainty.

It would be as if I stated that Konami is ramping up their Wii development. Obviously that's logical, as almost every other major developer in the industry has publicly stated that they're doing that, but they haven't officially announced it.

Didn't Sony announce the PS3 price is now 500 dollars? Isn't it everywhere as 500 dollars? So you think they are suddenly gonna go back to 600 dollars even though all the retailers have put it up as 500 dollars?

The 500 dollar Sku is the new Sku because they have announced this as the new price of the PS3. The average consumer isn't going to understand how it went back to 600 dollars and they aren't gonna do that because first they can't pull that off and second retail would not accept that.

This is why I am so confidant. 

JUST BECAUSE YOU DON'T WANT IT TO HAPPEN DOES NOT MEAN IT IS NOT A POSSIBILITY.

There, I said it.

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout
BenKenobi88 said:
Is there going to be a period of time where there is just the limited edition 80 GB PS3 for sale then? And will it still be $600?

Or will Sony make sure to release the regular 80 GB model in time...

This is the question. And I am 99 percent sure no. But it's possible, even under that circumstance by the Holidays we knwo the new price of the PS3 and it is 500 dollars.

The reason why they aren't saying the 80 gb is gonna be normal after the special edition (though this is logical by the limtied on the box) is that they want people to buy some 80 gb versions and not wait for that to become 500 dollars and stagnate the sales of the limtied edition.

This all makes sense. Whoever hears this and freaks out that the PS3 price is going back up buys it now (people following this news online). Meanwhile, average joe goes to the store and buys the limited edition with the game because to him he is getting a deal.

This announcement will both boost further the sales of the 60 gb version and not stagnate 80 gb sales when it comes out.

Why are you freaking out Gballzack? This is how they can afford the price cut. Makes perfect sense to me.

Also pretending like the average person is gonna know about the emotion engine and won't value game + 20 gb as 100 dollars is totally your opinion.

Also I don't think I've ever discussed BC before because almost everything on the Xbox that is worth playing has BC on the 360.

ckmlb said:
Why are you freaking out Gballzack? This is how they can afford the price cut. Makes perfect sense to me.

Also pretending like the average person is gonna know about the emotion engine and won't value game + 20 gb as 100 dollars is totally your opinion.

Also I don't think I've ever discussed BC before because almost everything on the Xbox that is worth playing has BC on the 360.

1. I am not Gballzack.  I have no idea where this came from.  If I honestly need to prove that, I will.

2. It makes sense to me too.  But perhaps Sony doesn't want to lose as much money per PS3 sold.  Both strings of logic make sense to me, and I could see Sony choosing either of them.

3. Where did I EVER say that the average person is going to know the difference between the emotion engine and software emulation.  I didn't.  So don't try finding it.  I was talking about the true value of the console, not what the average person thinks.

4.Thanks for telling me that my value of the console is my opinion when I clearly stated at the end of my post "of course this is all my opinion."  Thanks a lot.

5.  If you want me to say fine, I will.  I am not going to look through the forums to call you out on that.  It is beside the point anyways...  The point is that software emulation does not compare to true hardware backwards compatibility.  You have already admitted that.  That point is over.  You said that it's true but "it's not a big deal..." so I guess we can leave it at that.

Still you don't understand why Sony wouldn't keep the price at 600 dollars after the 60 gb are sold out?

They can't do that because they already announced a price cut so that's it, retailers and consumers know that the price is 500 dollars now, the special edition is 600 dollars.

That's why it's guaranteed that the new sku will be 500 dollars.