By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony is phasing out the 60 gb to be replaced by the 80gb

ckmlb said:
Avalach21 said:
Bodhesatva said:

Ck, they could absolutely continue selling this at 599. You just assume they will cut the price? That's 100 dollars lost on every console!

I absolutely agree that it's possible, but you assertion is definitely not certain. Please don't phrase it that way. Obviously it could be the case, but there is definitely reason not to do so (again: 100 dollars!).

haha, I caught this too. Nowhere is it stated that the 80gb will drop to 500. That was a nice little fanboy dream spin you put on at the end.

What about limited edition do you not understand? Fanboy dreams huh?

If you call me a fanboy one more time, I will point out all the mean spirited things you say about the Wii. Every time. It's insulting. I don't do it to you, even though you're clearly favoring Sony. I will really make this hard on you, Ck. I try to be nice. Don't do it again, please.

Limited edition does not mean they will drop the price to 499. They could change the structure in a number of various ways -- your solution is only one of them. All you had to do was say: "It's possible, if not likely, the price will drop after this," and I would have agreed!

I was one of the first people to trumpet the choice of a "Limited Edition" when it was first announced. I've repeated that it was a good choice on numerous occasions. Don't be insulting, Ck, because you're starting to seem like a troll.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network
ckmlb said:
Avalach21 said:
Bodhesatva said:

Ck, they could absolutely continue selling this at 599. You just assume they will cut the price? That's 100 dollars lost on every console!

I absolutely agree that it's possible, but you assertion is definitely not certain. Please don't phrase it that way. Obviously it could be the case, but there is definitely reason not to do so (again: 100 dollars!).

haha, I caught this too. Nowhere is it stated that the 80gb will drop to 500. That was a nice little fanboy dream spin you put on at the end.

SHOW ME WHERE IT SPECIFICALLY STATES THAT THE 80GB PS3 WILL DROP TO 499 AFTER THE STOCK OF THE 60GB CLEARS OUT.  I'm not even challenging you.  I'm just asking where you got the info from because I don't want to do the research myself, esspecially if the info isn't even out there.  If you could show me the source where you based this off of, it would clear a lot up.  Thank you.

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout
twesterm said:
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but the only extra thing in the current 80GB edition (beyond the extra 20gb) is Motorstorm, correct? If it is a special edition and when they start making the normal edition 80GB without Motorstorm, why would taking a game out drop the price $100?

Because the new low price point is 500 dollars. They set it already. But even if they didn't do this, then the console when it's released normally without the game will at least be dropped 50 bucks because it doesn't include the game.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Bodhesatva said:
ckmlb said:
Avalach21 said:
Bodhesatva said:

If you call me a fanboy one more time, I will point out all the mean spirited things you say about the Wii. Every time. It's insulting. I don't do it to you, even though you're clearly favoring Sony. I will really make this hard on you, Ck. I try to be nice. Don't do it again, please.

Limited edition does not mean they will drop the price to 499. They could change the structure in a number of various ways -- your solution is only one of them. All you had to do was say: "It's possible, if not likely, the price will drop after this," and I would have agreed!

I was one of the first people to trumpet the choice of a "Limited Edition" when it was first announced. I've repeated that it was a good choice on numerous occasions. Don't be insulting, Ck, because you're starting to seem like a troll.

I was talking to avalanche and his fanboy dreams reference... how did you miss it?

I could understand a $50 price drop because then at least I can say I might have saved $10 if I bought the console last week, though even that's a little iffy to me since Motorstorm is aging and probably getting easy to find used (though guessing there since I've never actually bothered looking at the PS3 section in Gamestop).

Around the Network
ckmlb said:
Bodhesatva said:
ckmlb said:
Avalach21 said:
Bodhesatva said:

I was talking to avalanche and his fanboy dreams reference... how did you miss it?

yes Bodhesatva, he was talking to me, but I stand right beside everything Bodhesatva said after his first paragraph.

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout

I'll tell you what is going to happen...

Once the $499 / 60Gig model sells out either:

1/ Sales will drop significantly, as the price "effectively" rises from $499 to $599. Watch the media headlines associated when this baby pops!

2/ Sony will have to launch some other package / model to replace the 60Gig model - or re-price the 60Gig model completely. God knows what it can be.

Surely Sony can't get away with a $100 price rise for the PS3... 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

There is no source for it, I'm going by logic.

Special edition = console + game = 600 dollars.

80 gb console + no game = 500 dollars.

End of limited edition.

new 80 gb console back to 500 dollars because this was the price cut they announced.

They are trying to get rid of the 60 gb units.

The reason why it will go down to 500 gb is because the new machine is cheaper to make than the old and they already established that price point.

Also, the 60 gb units won't sell out by the release of the limited edition. Meaning they will both be in the market at the same time.

By the time the 60 gb sells out the limited edition will either then or soon after end and the 80 gb is the new SKU at 500 dollars for the holidays.

Make sense?

Ugh, I'm sorry Ck. I misread.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

So when can I buy the 100 GB PS3 @ $600? :P

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957