By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Which will happen first - PS3 @ 4 million, or Wii @ 10 million?

NJ5 said:
misterd said:
naznatips said:
misterd said:
naznatips said:
misterd said:
Darc Requiem said:
It basically come down to what will have a bigger effect on sales. The "price cut" on PS3 in the US or the release of Dragon Quest: Swords in Japan. It is definitely going to be close but I will go with the Wii. I don't see the PS3 sales spike to overcome the boost DQ:S will give the Wii in Japan.

The Wii is selling out in Japan w/out DragonQuest. I don't see how DQ can make it even more sold out.

It actually does matter because Nintendo sends extras of the systems they are producing for the holidays to countries who are getting big releases that month. So yeah, it sells out, but it sells out of a larger stock base.

But as I understand it, the Wii would be selling out regardless. The shift may help the sales total in one area, but that also means taking consoles away from the other 2 regions where demand still hasn't dropped below supply.

No it's not a shift away from other markets, they actually ship extra units from backstocks (presumably being built up for the holidays) thus allowing Wiis to actually sell higher in some months because of shipment boosts.

Got it.

Now why exactly are they stocking up for the holidays? Why would they prefer people to buy their console in November than in July?

It has been repeated countless times, but here we go:

People are more likely to buy consoles in the holiday period, so competition between the three players has to be stronger in that period. If some dad or mum wants to buy their kid a console for Christmas and can't find it, it's possible that they will buy a different one. In the summer, it's more likely for someone to say "I'll just wait".

PS: I'm starting to think there should be a FAQ for questions like these.

I am aware of the stronger competition in the holidays, but wouldn't getting those consoles out now give a larger installed base heading into the holiday season? It'd be one thing if the consoles were going to sit on the shelves now, but they would clearly sell out, and sell out quickly. And won't all the people looking for consoles during the holidays just have increased competition with those who have been looking since the summer?

Around the Network

Retailers like to use products in demand to spur sales during holiday periods. People are likely to buy more during holiday periods, rather than just the thing they were shopping for.

These milestones will both be reached within one week apart from each other.

Nothing's cheaper than something free.

F1 vs FOTA, when too much power is in couple peoples hands.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Lafiel said:
PS3 @ 4 million because of the price-cut and Hot Shots Golf 5 release in Japan in 2 weeks

Ooooh. Forgot about that one. I think there will be a huge spike in PS3 Japan sales that will help it get to 4 million faster.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

If we went by media create it wouldn't even be close, Wii will reach next week easily. according to media create until 7/8
wii - 2,949,774
PS3 - 963,180

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network
johnsobas said:
If we went by media create it wouldn't even be close, Wii will reach next week easily. according to media create until 7/8
wii - 2,949,774
PS3 - 963,180

wrong thread?

lol, my bad.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

FishyJoe said:
Retailers like to use products in demand to spur sales during holiday periods. People are likely to buy more during holiday periods, rather than just the thing they were shopping for.

So then this is primarily to appease the retailers, who would rather have happy customers in December than in July?

Sometimes you can't make everyone happy. If they satisfy the summer demand and fall short at winter, a whole group of other people would complain.

Right. So why bother trying? It would appear that holding back consoles would take more effort than shipping them out as soon as possible. Is it just because the winter people (parents and retailers) will complain more than the summer people (who, of couse, will eventually become complaining winter people)?