By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Spore is HORRIBLY overrated.

shio said:
Spore is so far, the best game I ever played. The early stages were only supposed to be a tutorial and training ground for the player, and a setting and motto for the game itself.

If you want a game with limitless boundary, this game is the best you'll get today.

I fully agree with you, I have played it now for 10 hours, and love it. Seriously one of the best games I have played. Zero bugs, crashes, glitches and DRM issues, runs great and looks great.

I have this feeling that the people that play this and then dont like are the same people that dont particularly like Sim City, Populous or The Sims. Its an aquired taste, and I love it.

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

This space Reserved for the Nuggets of Wisdom dropped by Bladeforce:

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"

Around the Network

I've had issues with it crashing, but only on loading screens, and then I can save face my minimizing/maximizing it many times and each time i do it it loads some more. Really weird. I've had no DRM issues but then again I havent changed computer hardware or tried playing without being on the internet. I agree though, no bugs at all.

I love Spore, but i hate The Sims and only kinda liked Sim City. Loved Populous though.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Shame on you thetonestar, I love this game

Cell stage, awesome fun - doesn't last too long though

Creature stage, this is where the procedurally generated aspect comes into play, you can make pretty much any creature you like and the game will animate it beautifully. This stage is incredible, I do just wish that they allowed swimming and actual flight instead of just gliding. Longevity of this stage is ridiculous

Tribal stage - i read your comments, and have worked out that you haven't actually played the game. Being able to fly in the tribal stage is a huge advantage, being able to spit poison is another advantage - especially if you have axe wielders. Regardless, the tribal stage is pretty fun but I would say my least favourite of the stages.

Civilisation stage - lots of fun - designing your own Tanks etc is lots of fun, and allows for a wider variety of play styles than many respected RTS. This isn't quite as fun or long lasting as the creature phase, but still extremely enjoyable.

Space stage - All I will say is that this stage will make me fail university, it's so damn addictive.

Comments on the game as a whole - I liked how they linked in the stages, there's the abilities which carry over from your actions in previous stages, and each stages your chances are directly influenced by the quality of your creation in the previous stage.

There's also alot of cool things like the Spice geysers, which pop up in the creature stage to lift you into the air and also pop up in the Civilisation and Space stage so you can harvest them for money.

Procedurally generated creatures is an incredible idea, and the procedurally generated music (thanks to the brilliance of Brian Eno) is incredible.

scottie said:
Shame on you thetonestar, I love this game

Cell stage, awesome fun - doesn't last too long though

Creature stage, this is where the procedurally generated aspect comes into play, you can make pretty much any creature you like and the game will animate it beautifully. This stage is incredible, I do just wish that they allowed swimming and actual flight instead of just gliding. Longevity of this stage is ridiculous

Tribal stage - i read your comments, and have worked out that you haven't actually played the game. Being able to fly in the tribal stage is a huge advantage, being able to spit poison is another advantage - especially if you have axe wielders. Regardless, the tribal stage is pretty fun but I would say my least favourite of the stages.

Civilisation stage - lots of fun - designing your own Tanks etc is lots of fun, and allows for a wider variety of play styles than many respected RTS. This isn't quite as fun or long lasting as the creature phase, but still extremely enjoyable.

Space stage - All I will say is that this stage will make me fail university, it's so damn addictive.

Comments on the game as a whole - I liked how they linked in the stages, there's the abilities which carry over from your actions in previous stages, and each stages your chances are directly influenced by the quality of your creation in the previous stage.

There's also alot of cool things like the Spice geysers, which pop up in the creature stage to lift you into the air and also pop up in the Civilisation and Space stage so you can harvest them for money.

Procedurally generated creatures is an incredible idea, and the procedurally generated music (thanks to the brilliance of Brian Eno) is incredible.

Yeah... My grades ahev already slipped actually because of this game.

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

The project was massively ambitious, so it's not really surprising that this game would miss the mark. Perhaps for his next project, Wright will realize that bigger often isn't better, and focus the scope down to something manageable.

Or perhaps he'll take what he's learned from Spore and make Spore 2 a game for the ages.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

i never played it! but if say its overrated i wont play it!

The phases 1-4 are just to short. I mean u just can't get taste of what's goin' on. On the other hand if the phases were longer u'd got bored of repeatitive gameplay. 7,5 only for the creature(other stuff) creator.

scottie said:
Tribal stage - i read your comments, and have worked out that you haven't actually played the game. Being able to fly in the tribal stage is a huge advantage, being able to spit poison is another advantage - especially if you have axe wielders. Regardless, the tribal stage is pretty fun but I would say my least favourite of the stages

My first creatures could spit poison AND fly, and neither presented a significant advantage in the tribal stage. In fact... I don't remember them even using their spitting abilities at all. *shrugs.* Jump/glide wasn't useful in the least... Actually, it was more annoying than anything else, because they would randomly jump when I was trying to select them.

That really just leads me to wonder if you've played the game. But, instead of insulting you, perhaps our creatures just approached combat differently. You can't tell.

SW-5120-1900-6153

thetonestarr said:
scottie said:
Tribal stage - i read your comments, and have worked out that you haven't actually played the game. Being able to fly in the tribal stage is a huge advantage, being able to spit poison is another advantage - especially if you have axe wielders. Regardless, the tribal stage is pretty fun but I would say my least favourite of the stages

My first creatures could spit poison AND fly, and neither presented a significant advantage in the tribal stage. In fact... I don't remember them even using their spitting abilities at all. *shrugs.* Jump/glide wasn't useful in the least... Actually, it was more annoying than anything else, because they would randomly jump when I was trying to select them.

That really just leads me to wonder if you've played the game. But, instead of insulting you, perhaps our creatures just approached combat differently. You can't tell.

Considering any time I clicked more than 10 feet away from them to move, my creatures flew there in tribal stage I don't know what the hell you are talking about at all. Thay also happened to spit as well and I saw them use it plenty. Also considering all you have to do is a jump glide to save your ass in the creature stage I'm just gonna go with the fact that you somehow managed to suck playing at Spore.

the difference between ubi and EA is that EA needs to hype its crappy games to sell while Ubi dont need to hype em cause they will sell in any case