By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Spore is HORRIBLY overrated.

Spoilers rampant in this thread. Be warned.

So, Spore. The game from famed game developer Will Wright in which you begin as a microscopic organism and fight to evolve your way all the way to a space faring civilization... it's finally out after years of anticipation. But is it really as much as everybody's been hoping?

Personally, I find the game is incredibly overrated. Will Wright/Maxis made a huge deal out of the whole "creature creation" aspect... then the entire physiology of your creature becomes nearly irrelevant by the time you progress into the Tribal phase. Pretty much, none of the abilities or physiological features of your species matter once they discover fire and begin using tools.

My second serious problem with the game is the terribly poor transitioning between phases. You start off as a microscopic organism in an essentially 2d world, and slowly grow to not-so-microscopic, evolving small physical advantages as you fight to survive. Once you've collected enough DNA and evolved enough, it's time to grow legs and climb onto land. So you do.

BOOM! New phase. The entire sea-bound part of life is completely gone from here out. You never see that again. Now, you're a land creature and you have to kill to survive, collecting DNA points, and evolving new features again. Here, it's moved to a 3d world, but the gameplay isn't too much different from before, except now you've got "packs" - you're not a loner of your species anymore, but a part of a group (which you can recruit members from to follow you, more as you grow smarter). Eventually, you reach sentience.

BOOM! You've discovered fire, invented tools, and that part of the game is history. You move on to tribal life - semi-organized human civilization. You have technology, you very easily hunt (with no trouble whatsoever) the creatures you struggled to survive against before. Some of them may reach sentience as well, becoming rival tribes, but for the vast most part, it's an entirely different part of life. You no longer evolve now. Your creature has developed the physical features it will always have, and you can now upgrade its clothing, its tribal uniform, for any advantages. Your physical features from before mean almost nothing - you need to have good armor and weaponry to survive now. So you had wings, so you ran faster than everything else. So what? This stage is a very basic "real-time strategy"-type game - think original Warcraft or Age of Empires... with a tenth of the gameplay mechanics. You fight for dominance over the other tribes, then...

BOOM! Civilization. You've eliminated the other tribal species, your species has risen to sentient dominance on this planet. But, as your species has grown, it has spread out, and now it's formed its own cities here and there. Some will be your friend, some will fight to the death. Now, you suddenly have cars, ships, aircraft - all available to use for world domination. Also a real-time strategy game mechanic, this mode is slightly more complicated due to the various vehicles and economic vs. religious vs. military methods of taking over the world. Once you do that...

BOOM! Space-faring. Now that you've united your entire planet, you seek out other planets to control and/or befriend. This phase is known as "sandbox", in that you can do almost anything you want. I've only played a very little bit in this part - I colonized and terraformed a planet, bringing animal and plant life to it, effectively duplicating my homeworld and turning it into an extension of my Empire. So far, it looks like this part is the biggest, most complicated, with the most to do by far. I have no complaints with that - it looks like this part'll be a lot of fun. It borrows concepts from many sci-fi references in the past (the "Genesis" tool, which can nearly instantly terraform a planet (from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan), or a gigantic space weapon similar to the Death Star, etc), and you can revisit previous phases of gameplay with other species (I don't know how yet, I've just read about that). Obviously, this part is by far the biggest part of the game.

So why did we hear nearly nothing about it? Why was the Creature Creation part the most publicized, the only part we really knew anything of? Combine that with the lack of fluidity between the stages - the VERY abrupt transitioning - and I'm left incredibly disappointed.

Basically, Spore is a very fun game, but it has terrible flow between stages, and it's almost nothing like what EA/Maxis/Will Wright made it out to be. Which is typical EA slack-off, really.

I'd give it a 7.5/10 - playable, fun, but lacking in a lot of areas. Don't get me wrong - you will probably enjoy playing this game. It has much of the same concepts and feel of old Maxis games, with a touch of Age of Empires and a nice sandbox element later on. Very few games touch as many genres as this, and I appreciate that. But... with how long it's been announced, and how much hype was behind it, I guess I expected all of these shortcomings to be well behind it. Spore II, or a Spore-clone, will probably fix all these problems, at least. We can only hope.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Around the Network

My thoughts exactly. I might have posted something like this in two threads already. It's a wasted opportunity in my opinion.

*EDIT: Here's what I wrote about the game:

I thought Spore could have been better. I've only barely started the Space Stage, but as far as I've played, I thought you could decide to live in your city, even get out of your ship, or just always be able to play your creature and travel the lands on different planets and stuff, but it's filled with individual stages that are not that engaging when you think about it.

The really fun ones are the first two stages, but the rest is a bit too much strategy game style in my opinion. Sure, I'll continue the Space Stage because it's where the game really starts, but I wished I could still play with my creature and stuff! o_o

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

Spore is so far, the best game I ever played. The early stages were only supposed to be a tutorial and training ground for the player, and a setting and motto for the game itself.

If you want a game with limitless boundary, this game is the best you'll get today.

SHMUPGurus said:

My thoughts exactly. I might have posted something like this in two threads already. It's a wasted opportunity in my opinion.

*EDIT: Here's what I wrote about the game:

I thought Spore could have been better. I've only barely started the Space Stage, but as far as I've played, I thought you could decide to live in your city, even get out of your ship, or just always be able to play your creature and travel the lands on different planets and stuff, but it's filled with individual stages that are not that engaging when you think about it.

The really fun ones are the first two stages, but the rest is a bit too much strategy game style in my opinion. Sure, I'll continue the Space Stage because it's where the game really starts, but I wished I could still play with my creature and stuff! o_o

^This.

|Y|A|O|I|
¯¯¯¯¯¯My anti-drug™

Yeah overrated... well I'm not surprised

Around the Network

The whole creature creator part comes in the fact you can make anything that comes to mind and the game will figure out how to do everything with it. This is the part of SPORE that is literally ahead of any gaming technology out right now. So far models had to bed pre-programmed specifically for each type, but with this... it figures everything out by itself. Pure genius. I've actually enjoyed the game a great amount. The only things that annoy the hell out of me is the fact that in space stage your civ only has 1 ship and that's you while when you go to attack someone they have 50. Then again I am playing it on hard only so I have no idea what the other difficulties are like.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Color me wholly unsurprised. It'll still sell millions because it has Will Wright's name on it, but I've been hearing the same thing from many other people.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Garcian Smith said:
Color me wholly unsurprised. It'll still sell millions because it has Will Wright's name on it, but I've been hearing the same thing from many other people.

You've been hearing it from people who've "played" Spore, if you get my meaning.

yeah i got the game, and i was disappointed how the cell stage ended so quickly ,i am currently at the tribal stage and the cell stage is the most fun so far.

"Kinect" Games I am really excited about (Click for videos)

Kinectimals        Dance Central      Kinect-Sports   Kinect-Adventures    Your Shape       Kinect-Forza

Owner of :   slim 1000 +  80GB DSlite

I agree with it being overrated. I absolutely hate the creature stage, and didn't care much for the cell or tribal stage. I'm enjoying the space stage a lot though. It reminds me of a game I played years ago. I just wish I could remember what that game was. Repetition is starting to set in, but I'm still having fun.

7/10 from me. You can see a larger explanation here. There are lots of errors, which I need to ask the admin to correct. Sorry if this is considered advertising, but this isn't the main site and the full document would take up a lot of space. A link seems more suitable.