By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Inquirer says Wii sales slow in Japan...

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37732 Is this true? I know weekly Wii sales (~70k?) are rather lackluster compared to weekly DS sales (~150-200k), but I hesitated to jump to any conclusions because Gaffers who live their claim they are all sold out. However, I dont really trust GAF because they tend to always claim Nintendo has shortages there, and a lot of time they're probably lying because they're nintendo fanboys. Like they kept saying FF3 DS had shortages, but it didn't it just sold like crap. In fact come to think of it if Nintendo is really shipping millions of Wii's as they claim, the 70kX4=280k per month in Japan is just not enough to sell out. Not even close. Anyways, just interesting.

Around the Network

What a crap article. Wii is selling better at this point than any other console did at the same point in its life cycle in Japan - yes even PS2 and DS. The initial launch interest has been huge and the only thing governing sales at the moment is the amount of units Nintendo can provide. I see sales hovering between 50,000 - 100,000 most of the year which comes out to around 4 million - the same as total Gamecube sales (5 million total if you count 2006). This is PS2-level sales and definitely not slowing down! Most consoles sell arond 30-40k a week at these kind of times of the year. Just someone trying to stir things up...

Cause selling 13k more units than last week is slowing down. TheInquirer=Fox News of the UK internet media, btw. I posted this earlier in the news section just for laughs.

http://computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=158325 You can see the original article there, which has another link in it. I dont know, I still dont see how, Nintendo is talking about shipping 2-4-6 million in a matter of months, but 280,000 a month in Japan is sold out? yeah right. Will be interesting to watch and see if the first sign of Wii's fade may be imminent..

ranzchic said: Cause selling 13k more units than last week is slowing down. TheInquirer=Fox News of the UK internet media, btw. I posted this earlier in the news section just for laughs.
Most people take shots at Fox because they dont agree with it's politics. It's no less reliable than any other mainstream news network, more reliable than Clinton News Network aka CNN. Most of the media is extremely leftist, Fox News is moderate, so they get a lot of hate.

Around the Network

sharky said: http://computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=158325 You can see the original article there, which has another link in it. I dont know, I still dont see how, Nintendo is talking about shipping 2-4-6 million in a matter of months, but 280,000 a month in Japan is sold out? yeah right. Will be interesting to watch and see if the first sign of Wii's fade may be imminent..
That link is asking a question, and was not settling on a conclusion. The inquirer on the other hand, doing an admirable job at yellow journalism, concluded that it must be so. Nintendo sold 500K Wiis last January in Japan, btw. They are also ramping up production starting in April because of higher than expected demand worldwide.

sharky said: ranzchic said: Cause selling 13k more units than last week is slowing down. TheInquirer=Fox News of the UK internet media, btw. I posted this earlier in the news section just for laughs. Most people take shots at Fox because they dont agree with it's politics. It's no less reliable than any other mainstream news network, more reliable than Clinton News Network aka CNN. Most of the media is extremely leftist, Fox News is moderate, so they get a lot of hate.
I'm not even gonna touch that.. So anyway, two Wii heavy hitters in Japan are out next week, Naruto and Fire Emblem. They should do some pretty good damage.

sharky said: Most people take shots at Fox because they dont agree with it's politics. It's no less reliable than any other mainstream news network, more reliable than Clinton News Network aka CNN. Most of the media is extremely leftist, Fox News is moderate, so they get a lot of hate.
yeah right... Let's concentrate on gaming discussion please.

Now Loading... Please Wait!

Does Wii sales slow in Japan? probably no. Wii sales in Japan keep 70~80K for each week, and the demand for Wii continues to outstrip supply. Indeed, there are many people want to purchase Wii, and in many shop, Wii is sold-out...

If you need something about Japanese market from the perspective of Japanese, please contact me.

Many does not equal all, y-koron. You only say it is sold out in "many" places not all which does not mean it is sold out..perhaps you could clarify? I only say it bears watching. For example, if there are indeed Wii, shortages, then I would wonder if they didn't exist would it sell as much as the DS? I kind of doubt it.. And I agree, the Inq is generally terrible journalism. Funny thing is they get linked a lot on video card forums because they're one of the few sites willing to deal in rumors..