By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Square Enix releases title lineup for E3 - FF XIII not present?

Lafiel said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:
Gaijin means "white outsider" these days. But since this conference is being held in America, the word is being used out of context.

Where is all the Playstation 3 love from Square? Is this a sign of things to come? I was hoping for some diversity at this E3 but what it looks like I am getting is the same boring drivel. Nothing major (sans price drops) thus far. Nothing to really excite me...

But my friend , the thing is , I used "gaijin" here in the usual way older folks do it in Japan .. ofcourse in an ironic/funny way , what I expressed with the smillie ;) at the end.

In this context gaijin is a cussword for western or westernlooking outsiders and was used by me to demonstrate the way japanese companies may think about the E3 especially after it's downsize.
The average japanese is quite unsure of his/her english (well, they are right to be ;) - look for proof at engrish.com) and therefore doesn't really like to interact with westeners . Because of this I think to japanese companies and developers its more of a burden to have to travel to E3 and publicize their products and they are far more open and cheerful at TGS , where they can talk in japanese and to japanese (yea ofcourse at E3 they can do so aswell with translators , but getting the thoughts across by that method is really difficult and just a hassle)
And ... Square certainly wants to show their poster child to their loyal fanbase ,which made them big (saved them from death) first. (yea I know that Dragon Quest/Warrior sold even better in Japan)

Well then trust me...it goes both ways...it's not like we Westerners (for the most part) understand a bit of Japanese...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

BenKenobi88 said:Well then trust me...it goes both ways...it's not like we Westerners (for the most part) understand a bit of Japanese...

and now could you tell me where in my text I said ,that this was even up for discussion

I'm well aware of that

That sucks. I was hoping to have news on FF XIII. At least a trailer, even if only CG.

naznatips said:

FFXIII isn't their big Japan title DQIX is.  

while that ofcourse is true , if you look only at software sales I wonder ,if DQ really makes them more money (I'm talking about Japan alone) ...

FF seems to be much much more successful in terms of merchandising products and exclusive (=expensive) stuff and for those they don't have to pay royalties to Toriyama (I heard he is quite the businessman when it comes to licensing) , for they design it all by themselves.

GhaudePhaede010 said:
Gaijin means "white outsider" these days. But since this conference is being held in America, the word is being used out of context.

Where is all the Playstation 3 love from Square? Is this a sign of things to come? I was hoping for some diversity at this E3 but what it looks like I am getting is the same boring drivel. Nothing major (sans price drops) thus far. Nothing to really excite me...

This is a sign of things to come. The PS3 isn't doing that well in Japan at all. Right now Square would rather focus on the DS, which is doinf amazingly well.

But, like ckmlb said, TGS will have more. I think we should see FF13 there.

Around the Network
Lafiel said:

BenKenobi88 said:Well then trust me...it goes both ways...it's not like we Westerners (for the most part) understand a bit of Japanese...

and now could you tell me where in my text I said ,that this was even up for discussion

I'm well aware of that

Sheesh, sorry.

My point is, or my problem anyway, is that a lot of Japanese people have that same attitude towards foreigners...I think it's pretty harsh...I don't hear the same attitude from Westerners.  (This is all generalizing though...)  I think most Westerners just don't know what the heck goes on in Japan, is all.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Lafiel said:
naznatips said:

FFXIII isn't their big Japan title DQIX is.

while that ofcourse is true , if you look only at software sales I wonder ,if DQ really makes them more money (I'm talking about Japan alone) ...

FF seems to be much much more successful in terms of merchandising products and exclusive (=expensive) stuff and for those they don't have to pay royalties to Toriyama (I heard he is quite the businessman when it comes to licensing) , for they design it all by themselves.

No, I'm positive that DQ makes signifficantly more money for the company as well. Keep in mind despite the extensive development effort put into DQIX, it still probably costs less than 1/5th the cost to make FFXIII. Also, with the enormous popularity of the DS in Japan and the cool reception of the PS3, it's very likely that DQIX will outsell FFXIII 2 to 1 in Japan, and perhaps even outsell it in worldwide totals.

As far as merchandise goes, I think you must be joking. I was in Tokyo last summer and DQ stuff is EVERYWHERE. Slime plushes, action figures of the characters, keychains, posters, sword and shield sets, and hundreds of collectible figures. I saw nowhere near the amount of FF merchandise in stores. In Japan FF is just not as big all around. It's not completely ignored, and the Japanese do love FF, but it's nowhere near as popular.

how many big PS3 3rd party exclusives are left now? just MGS4 and FFXIII?

of the 2, FFXIII seems so suspiciously close to not coming out on the PS3 period.

seems like it's got at least another year to go before finishing development. with the art and level design costs for the most part accounted for (i imagine), it doesn't take as long as 1 year to make it on the wii.

which means... you could see a multiplatform FFXIII.

but it seems like Square-Enix likes to have single platform games, which means there's a chance they'll just can the PS3 version and work on the Wii version instead... Square Enix seems like it's got the guts to do something like that.  good business acumen, this bunch.

anyway, once E3 settles, we'll know much more! just a couple days' wait.

the Wii is an epidemic.

Lafiel said:

I'm well aware of that

I didn't realize some people you can and can't quote what they say, holy crap man, settle.

Final Fantasy XI: Wings of the Goddess (PS2, 360, PC)

Strange a game that will hit X360 but not PS3? But still will have an release on PS2 :s doesn't make any sense.