By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Racist Sony Ad For the PSP

OLD

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Around the Network

Nobody sees the racism inherent in depicting white and black people at each other's throats in the middle of a political landscape where such tensions were relevant thanks to Imperialism not so long ago, and are still relevant today?

Nobody sees it as racist that the black woman is presented in exactly two lights in the ads? Those being either utterly submissive (see: OP) or a violent berserker? Really?

Nobody sees the playing up of racial tensions in a tense society as a bad thing?

What, is blackface just funny now, too? Did I miss the cultural paradigm shift where it became both sensible and hilarious to mock hundreds of years of racial oppression and violence?

That ad series was horrible when it was released, it's horrible now, and it would be horrible no matter who was behind it.

Resident_Hazard said:
obieslut said:
well i am mixed race and it dont bother me.

thats like saying capcom is raciest because resident evil is a white dude killing all those black folk

Yeah, maybe they should've populated that African setting with whites and Asians.  That's realistic, right?

This ad isn't racist.  Just sexy.

I'm black as well and I approve this statement...lol

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Since there were no intresting topics at the front page, i decided to comment...

The problem here is, that people see racism everywhere. When the ad in question came out for the first time and people were claiming it to be racistic, Sony made a new one, where the black was dominant (=more racistic ads) and everyone was happy (then there were the third one, where neither is dominating).
When you look at the ad, delivering the message requires two different skincolours.

Anyway, i would have liked the ad, if the women would have wore only bodyharnesses and the submissive could have been bound and gagged. There's a lot of room to improve.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

halil23 said:
S.T.A.G.E. has a habit of reviving 2 year old news confirmed!

And he's a Sony racist ;P

sony is a race? would explain the sdf.

Around the Network

lol

its a good commercial, nothing racist about it. but in the uk people will fire that add up in a minit.

i can recall a government led campain to get kids to drink milk not so long ago, on the tv adverts it asked "are you white enough"

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

S.T.A.G.E. said:

http://www.engadget.com/media/2006/07/psp_white.jpg

LOL wow. What a way to do it Sony. 2 thumbs up. :)

Wow, really reaching back into the way back machine for your Sony hate now arent we? This is 2 years old and was reported heavily then. Are you going to tell us about how the Playstation 2's laser has just started to not read discs now? Or that the Playstation's CD ROM's are starting to fail?

I mean, come on; its right in the link you posted, .../media/2006/07/...

Oh well, what ever makes you sleep at night and brings you in that phat MS paycheck.

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

This space Reserved for the Nuggets of Wisdom dropped by Bladeforce:

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"

Old..

Khuutra said:
Nobody sees the racism inherent in depicting white and black people at each other's throats in the middle of a political landscape where such tensions were relevant thanks to Imperialism not so long ago, and are still relevant today?

Nobody sees it as racist that the black woman is presented in exactly two lights in the ads? Those being either utterly submissive (see: OP) or a violent berserker? Really?

Nobody sees the playing up of racial tensions in a tense society as a bad thing?

What, is blackface just funny now, too? Did I miss the cultural paradigm shift where it became both sensible and hilarious to mock hundreds of years of racial oppression and violence?

That ad series was horrible when it was released, it's horrible now, and it would be horrible no matter who was behind it.

I can tell your white....