By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nine Nintendo sales predictions

I think animal crossing will get close to 10 million.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Around the Network

Nintendo Shall Rule The World Like In 1985-1998 XD
Playstation Relys On Too Many Network Demos And Graphics That Are Supposed To Be Good But
Look Too Real And It Doesn't Feel Like A Game And Better Graphics Doesn't Mean A Better Game So Obviously Nintendo>All

My Theme Music XD

I don't know why this thread has been digged out, but it is very interesting to see these predictions now. Let me comment them and see how likely they are now, almost a year later.

Chrizum said:

Here are 9 of my Nintendo sales predictions. Discuss!

1)
The period from september 2008 to februari 2010 will be the peak of the Wii software and hardware wise. Good third party releases in this time period will sell really well (500k+)  This one is definitely wrong. The Wii has seen a low period lately, and it was a lot worse than the 07/08 season was. Maybe Rol's prediction that the peak comes later will come true, but currently, I doubt it.

2) Examples of games selling at least 500k (or even a million) in this period (within a year from release):
Star Wars Force Unleashed (million seller) Standing at 1.34 M, so this was true
SimCity Creator Standing at 370k, I doubt this one will reach gold
Call of Duty World at War (million seller) True, with current sales of 1.21 M
The Conduit (million seller) Too early to tell, but with current sales of 180k, it will be hard
MadWorld Currently standing at 260k. Maybe in the very long run
House of the Dead Overkill A little more likely than the above with current sales of 330k
Star Wars Clone Wars No sales in the database. What's up with that one?
Quantum of Solace With current sales of 480k, this one is already within the margin of error
Lego Batman Even almost platinum with current sales of 940k
Sonic Unleashed (million seller) Within the margin of error with current sales of 970k
Sonic and the Black Knight Currently only standing at 320k. Still selling some thousand units a week in others though
Spyborgs Not yet released
Final Fantasy CC Crystal Bearers (million seller) Not yet released. Should come true though
Monster Hunter 3 (million seller) Almost a given with Japanese launch sales and a western release announced
My Sims Kingdom Has well reached gold with current sales of 810k
Spore (million seller) I don't think this still exists a a Wii game... Does it?
Rayman Raving Rabids TV Party (million seller) Easily reached platinum with current sales of 1.50 M
Castlevania Judgment Only reached 80k. This is really the only prediction that I don't think it ever had a chance to come true, looking at the sales of real Castlevania games it should be clear that a spinoff is never going to reach gold...
Skate It The database has it at 170k. Others sales are missing though, but it would still not be enough for gold
Shaun White Snowboarding Even made platinum with current sales of 1.25 M
Popular peripheral based music games (Guitar Hero, Rock Band, Samba de Amigo)
Popular EA and Konami Sports games (Fifa, Madden, Pro Evolution Socccer)

3) Call of Duty World at War will at least sell 750k units within a year. The Conduit will at least sell 800k units within a year. CoD did it, the Conduit will have a hard time, but I give you this one.

4) Week ending april 25th 2009: No More Heroes will have sold 450k, Zack & Wiki will break 500k. I'm not going to check the dates, since NMH is only at 440k and Z&W even only at 370k

5) Week ending may 23th 2009: Wii will have sold over 50 million. Off by one week. It was standing at 49'837'785 units in the worldwide charts of that week. I don't know if adjustments are taken into consideration for that number though.

6) Wii will get a price drop between november 2009 and may 2010 Very likely, maybe even a bit earlier.

7) The week ending february 6th 2010: Wii will have sold between 70 and 77 million units. Still possible

8) The Wii will stay a viable platform to release main titles on at least until january 2013. At the very best, the Wii is here to stat until january 2018. Not yet judgeable, but the 2018 bit is very hard to imagine now.

9) The Wii will have sold at the absolute minimum a 100 million units at the time it stopped selling. I'm positive it won't ever reach 200 million. My prediction is that the Wii will have sold about 150 million units at the time it stops selling, which will be early 2016. Numbers are possible, time frame seems out of range.

So out of your nine predictions, 3 is the only one that seems spot on. 6 to 9 are not judgeable yet though, and only 1 and 4 were clearly wrong.

Out of your 20 software predictions (not counting the undefined ones at the end), we can tell yet that 9 are correct. 3 games (Including Spore) haven't been released yet, 4 could still reach their goals, but it seems unlikely, and 4 others seem unable to reach their goals.

All in all I have to say that these predictions were pretty good, especially considering that we were much more optimistic back in September 2008. Keep up the good work, Chrizum!

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

RolStoppable said:

7) My guess is about 80m sell through by February 2009 2010. *Edit*

Haha. That is one failed prediction.

tuoyo said:
Chrizum said:

9) The Wii will have sold at the absolute minimum a 100 million units at the time it stopped selling. I'm positive it won't ever reach 200 million. My prediction is that the Wii will have sold about 150 million units at the time it stops selling, which will be early 2016.

Wii can't sell over 100 million units by the time it has stopped selling because it will have negative sales from 2010 allowing PS3 to overtake it and win this gen.  So although it will get to 100 milion it will end up finishing below 100 million.  Otherwise I pretty much agree with your predictions. 

That's funny.