By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Resistance 2 or Gears of war 2 which will have better online play?

I played both Gears 2 and Resistance 2. Its occasionally boring because its so damn slow paced, and the cover system usually means the person with the most balls will always get killed first.

Resistance just took a lot more skill, and it was definitely a lot more fun to play online. I can't stand games where people move slowly. I learned shooters playing Socom, so if a person isn't zipping across the screen its way too easy.

That's why COD4 gets boring to me as well. Moving that slow just kills it. It makes the game more strategic than about skills.

Around the Network
Jandre002 said:
Ronster316 said:

Resistance 2 with its no mic 60 player no one knows what the hell they are doing fest or gears or war 2's tight and compelling 5 on 5 with everyone communicating........... theres only one clear winner here

Gears of war 2

More is not always better, even Left 4 Deads online play will eclipse resistance 2's online play

its compelling eh?

And Ronster, I am not homophobic, but your post sounds extremely homosexual.

"gears of war 2 tight and compelling 5 on 5  with everyone communicating....."

Lol. Ok I got a good laugh out of that. Ahh it feels good to be immature again.

Whos to say its not a 5 on 5 wife swap party you may not be homophobic, but even thinking of what i said in the way you did must make you at least a metrosexual lol

Jandre002 said:
I played both Gears 2 and Resistance 2. Its occasionally boring because its so damn slow paced, and the cover system usually means the person who runs out in the open while everyone is taking cover gets what he deserves.

Resistance just took a lot more skill, and it was definitely a lot more fun to play online. I can't stand games where people move slowly. I learned shooters playing Socom, so if a person isn't zipping across the screen its way too easy.

That's why COD4 gets boring to me as well. Moving that slow just kills it. It makes the game more strategic than about skills.

Think you messed up a bit in that first sentence there XD.

You're entitled to your opinion, but to bash a game for making the guy who doesn't take cover the easiest target is ridiculous.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

Resistance 2...Need I say more?

Resistance 2's online play will end up been like Frontlines: fuel of war....... you'll all be running around like headless chickens shooting at the 1st thing you see........ to say gears requires no skill is just ridiculous, the cover system is there for a reason , so it doesnt end up been like your typical shooter where you just kill kill kill with no thought for strategy

Around the Network

I didn't like Gears of War's multiplayer and I didn't like Resistance's multiplayer. From what I've seen in videos, Resistance 2 looks to try and "solve" many problems of the first, while Gears of War's multiplayer remains essentially the same. So I'm looking forward to Resistance 2's multiplayer more.

Before someone takes this the wrong way, I'm not saying that either game's multiplayer is bad, just that they aren't my cup of tea.

EDIT:  I did enjoy co-op for each, so it'll be interesting to see how Resistance 2's custom co-op campaign fares against Gears of War 2 single-player campaign co-op and horde mode.

thekitchensink said:

Number of players means nothing--the first Gears' multiplayer beat the pants off the first Resistance, when it had 8 players to R1's 40.

I say Gears 2, because I like its' premise of intimate battles where every single team member's life is vital--in the main game mode, if you die, your 5-man team is one man short until the next round.

Also, although this isn't a knock against Resistance itself, people actually talk on Xbox Live. When I play on PSN, it seems like a headset is more of a peripheral than an expected piece of the online experience. I guess it's because Microsoft includes a headset with the 360, but it really does make team-based games like this more fun.

Edit: It must be said that I'm not knocking Resistance 2 (I don't even know that much about it), I just prefer Gears' general play style.  The coop looks pretty great, though.

Question though: Do we know how many players R2 supports for coop on splitscreen?

That's highly debatable- is it just in your opinion?

btw most people I play with in the beta have mics. The game uses a squad system so I guess you could say there is organized chaos. All those arguments that say the game is too crazy are flat-out false.

"YouR opinion is WronG!!!"

Ronster316 said:
Resistance 2's online play will end up been like Frontlines: fuel of war....... you'll all be running around like headless chickens shooting at the 1st thing you see........ to say gears requires no skill is just ridiculous, the cover system is there for a reason , so it doesnt end up been like your typical shooter where you just kill kill kill with no thought for strategy

For the last time, you haven't played resistance 2. Please stop making uneducated assumptions.

"YouR opinion is WronG!!!"

BILL COSBY!!! said:
thekitchensink said:

Number of players means nothing--the first Gears' multiplayer beat the pants off the first Resistance, when it had 8 players to R1's 40.

I say Gears 2, because I like its' premise of intimate battles where every single team member's life is vital--in the main game mode, if you die, your 5-man team is one man short until the next round.

Also, although this isn't a knock against Resistance itself, people actually talk on Xbox Live. When I play on PSN, it seems like a headset is more of a peripheral than an expected piece of the online experience. I guess it's because Microsoft includes a headset with the 360, but it really does make team-based games like this more fun.

Edit: It must be said that I'm not knocking Resistance 2 (I don't even know that much about it), I just prefer Gears' general play style.  The coop looks pretty great, though.

Question though: Do we know how many players R2 supports for coop on splitscreen?

That's highly debatable- is it just in your opinion?

btw most people I play with in the beta have mics. The game uses a squad system so I guess you could say there is organized chaos. All those arguments that say the game is too crazy are flat-out false.

Sorry, guess I didn't word that the way I wanted it.  I'm just saying that the number of players, in and of itself, does not make the game better.

And I was just speaking from experience and the general consensus with regard to voice chat.  When I play on PSN, almost no one ever uses a mic, and almost every time I ask others about it they say the same thing.  Someone who plays in a beta is likely a 'hardcore' enough gamer to have a mic, but the general people that play the game when it comes out just don't.

You may have a point about the organized chaos, though

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
BILL COSBY!!! said:
Ronster316 said:

For the last time, you haven't played resistance 2. Please stop making uneducated assumptions.

I've played resistance 1 and i've seen more than enough videos of resistance 2 to allow me to beleive it will be nothing more than more of the same.......... see enamy A , shoot enamy A, get killed by emeny C go looking for retribution on enemy C

Skill? no need , leave your skill bag at home

Its nothing more than frontlines: fuel of war with a few more players and slightly better graphics