By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor: PS2 for $99 will feature Waggle Controller

kmass88 said:
windbane said:

Upon reading the newest EGM issue, I came across a rather interesting rumor in the Quatermann section called Rumor Mill: "OK, the Wii is winning the console war right now -- no need to argue that one. But Sony may have a sneaky plan up its sleeve. I'm hearing it will repackage the Playstation 2 to compete with Nintendo by including a Woo Remote-like waggle wand for $99 this holiday season. Now let's just hope they don't call it 'Pii.'"

Yes, they would be copying Nintendo. However, this would be genius. Considering the Wii is about as powerful as an Xbox, and the previous generation was dominated by the PS2 despite the Xbox being more powerful, if you take away the only thing the Wii does better you have a real advantage.

Obviously, the disadvantage is that all Wiis have a wiimote already. However, at $99 the PS2 would have a far better library (the best in history of gaming...arguably?...if you so choose) and a much better price point for new Waggle users.

Also, you could just show how cheap the tech is and sell it for cheaper than Wiimote (and the upcoming Gun for Time Crisis).

This would effectively pit the PS2 against the Wii for the rest of the generation, and continue to spur Wii ports to the PS2, such as Rayman Raving Rabbids. The extremely high install base could easily buy a new controller for these games.

i smell bollocks. first off all they'd have to either map the controls of ALL of their old games to support the motion feature. while they could do that it wouldn't be true motion controls just a set of predestined moves mapped to the controller. if it was an easy thing for them to do. i highly believe that NINTENDO WOULD'VE DONE IT ALREADY FOR ITS VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAMES AND BACKLOG OF GAMECUBE GAMES.

so whilst they may bring in the controller that would mean that they would have to develop new games to take advantage of the feature. you wouldn't be able to just put in live 07 and viola it works!

nice try egm. it was funny maybe for a nano second.

Not all games need waggle. Their backlog would be safe with the controls they have already. What it would do is encourage developers to port the majority of their current and future third party titles to the PS2 with a larger install base and the same control scheme.

Around the Network

There was a thread on Neogaf about this where a Sony rep responded directly to EGM and said to "stop making shit up"

Of course Sony also denied the pricedrop a few days ago...

But - a PS2 with waggle would not have the advantages of PS2.  The 115 million PS2 owners without the controller would mean Waggle PS2 would enter the market behind Wii..and have to catch up.  I sincerely doubt this will happen, especially since the PS2 as is continues to sell pretty well as it is.  Frankly, without Sony's 1st party support, and with 20 million current gen consoles already sold, why would third parties support this venture either - especially at the risk of taking resources away from traditional PS2 games which continue to sell quite well.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Strange that you are looking forward to motion sensing and last generation graphics so much. Really strange. Having motion sensing and GOW? I thought you were against motion sensing and "previous generation graphics". I guess you are probably just being hypocrites.
I said it was my opinion. I don't think a company should think of the past. They should put all their support on PS3. You are entitled to your opinion (which in my opinion is definitely fanboyish), but to think that the PS2 will compete with the Wii? Really absurd. Maybe a better thing to say was if PS2 gets Wiimotes then it could compete with the PS3.
@ theshoe23 : WTF? do you really think like a 15 year old or are you really 15? Why would it hurt?

TheSource said:

There was a thread on Neogaf about this where a Sony rep responded directly to EGM and said to "stop making shit up"

Of course Sony also denied the pricedrop a few days ago...

But - a PS2 with waggle would not have the advantages of PS2. The 115 million PS2 owners without the controller would mean Waggle PS2 would enter the market behind Wii..and have to catch up. I sincerely doubt this will happen, especially since the PS2 as is continues to sell pretty well as it is. Frankly, without Sony's 1st party support, and with 20 million current gen consoles already sold, why would third parties support this venture either - especially at the risk of taking resources away from traditional PS2 games which continue to sell quite well.

New PS2 owners would get the waggle by default, old owners wouldn't need much to play new games that supported it, and there could easily be a $10-more bundle for a lot of games to include the new controller. 

ROMz said:
gorgepir said:
windbane said:

Upon reading the newest EGM issue, I came across a rather interesting rumor in the Quatermann section called Rumor Mill: "OK, the Wii is winning the console war right now -- no need to argue that one. But Sony may have a sneaky plan up its sleeve. I'm hearing it will repackage the Playstation 2 to compete with Nintendo by including a Woo Remote-like waggle wand for $99 this holiday season. Now let's just hope they don't call it 'Pii.'"

Yes, they would be copying Nintendo. However, this would be genius. Considering the Wii is about as powerful as an Xbox, and the previous generation was dominated by the PS2 despite the Xbox being more powerful, if you take away the only thing the Wii does better you have a real advantage.

Obviously, the disadvantage is that all Wiis have a wiimote already. However, at $99 the PS2 would have a far better library (the best in history of gaming...arguably?...if you so choose) and a much better price point for new Waggle users.

Also, you could just show how cheap the tech is and sell it for cheaper than Wiimote (and the upcoming Gun for Time Crisis).

This would effectively pit the PS2 against the Wii for the rest of the generation, and continue to spur Wii ports to the PS2, such as Rayman Raving Rabbids. The extremely high install base could easily buy a new controller for these games.

If this is true, in my opinion, sony has just gave up on PS3. Why would they focus on the last generation otherwise?

Wii IS last gen tech... LOLz

And you had motion sensing last generation?

Around the Network
gorgepir said:
Strange that you are looking forward to motion sensing and last generation graphics so much. Really strange. Having motion sensing and GOW? I thought you were against motion sensing and "previous generation graphics". I guess you are probably just being hypocrites.
I said it was my opinion. I don't think a company should think of the past. They should put all their support on PS3. You are entitled to your opinion (which in my opinion is definitely fanboyish), but to think that the PS2 will compete with the Wii? Really absurd. Maybe a better thing to say was if PS2 gets Wiimotes then it could compete with the PS3.
@ theshoe23 : WTF? do you really think like a 15 year old or are you really 15? Why would it hurt?

Hate to break it to you, but the PS2 already competes with the Wii.  Many games on the Wii are ports from the PS2.

gorgepir said:
ROMz said:
gorgepir said:
windbane said:

If this is true, in my opinion, sony has just gave up on PS3. Why would they focus on the last generation otherwise?

Yes, the Eye Toy.

RolStoppable said:
windbane said:

Not all games need waggle. Their backlog would be safe with the controls they have already. What it would do is encourage developers to port the majority of their current and future third party titles to the PS2 with a larger install base and the same control scheme.

The third party games for the Wii aren't important anyway, why would someone want to play them on the PS2?

Are you getting afraid that the Wii will be unstoppable?

Wow.

Just...wow.

Edit:  To answer your question that was prefaced by nonsense...it would be $150 cheaper at worst.  That's why.  Pack-in games and/or a cheap controller would also be a reason for existing PS2 owners. 

windbane said:
gorgepir said:
ROMz said:
gorgepir said:
windbane said:

Yes, the Eye Toy.

That is image processing, not motion sensing.

windbane said:

There are a couple problems with this.

1) What developers are going to suddenly decide to use the waggle control? My bet is, not many, and the ones who do ... well, I wouldn't be surprised to see the exact same game show up on the hottest new thing on the block with waggle control.

2) After all is said done, and support for the PS2 dies quickly within the next year or so, and all these waggle junkies are going to upgrade, what system will they go to? Probably the hottest new thing on the block with waggle control.

What's the hottest new thing on the block with waggle control?