By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor: PS2 for $99 will feature Waggle Controller

Won't happen - it would surely hurt Sony too much (admitting Nintendo was right, Sony was wrong). Will damage the PS3, and boost Wii sales in the long term.

- no existing games would support it

- gfx on a PS2 SUCK compared to other consoles these days. It couldn't even handle a decent WiiSports type game.

- sensor bar? Or would it have no pointer? With no pointer it IS a SIXAXIS controller (except for shape).

Sony would be better off to release their own "PS3Sports", that purely uses the Sixaxis movement - maybe in a shell of some sort. Then they could promote the better gfx, better online play, more content, etc. 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network
windbane said:
gorgepir said:
Strange that you are looking forward to motion sensing and last generation graphics so much. Really strange. Having motion sensing and GOW? I thought you were against motion sensing and "previous generation graphics". I guess you are probably just being hypocrites.
I said it was my opinion. I don't think a company should think of the past. They should put all their support on PS3. You are entitled to your opinion (which in my opinion is definitely fanboyish), but to think that the PS2 will compete with the Wii? Really absurd. Maybe a better thing to say was if PS2 gets Wiimotes then it could compete with the PS3.
@ theshoe23 : WTF? do you really think like a 15 year old or are you really 15? Why would it hurt?

Hate to break it to you, but the PS2 already competes with the Wii. Many games on the Wii are ports from the PS2.

The PS2 is selling half of Wii in the US and is small in Japan.

http://www.vgchartz.com/aweekly.php#hard

http://www.vgchartz.com/japweekly.php#hard

Do you think you can get away with such a thing on a video game tracking website? 

Being a little off topic but I heard a super typhon/cat3+ hurricane is headed to japan, back on topic, cant sony just make the controller work on the ps2 with motion controllls? WIhtout the game having the option?

mM
shams said:

Won't happen - it would surely hurt Sony too much (admitting Nintendo was right, Sony was wrong). Will damage the PS3, and boost Wii sales in the long term.

- no existing games would support it

- gfx on a PS2 SUCK compared to other consoles these days. It couldn't even handle a decent WiiSports type game.

- sensor bar? Or would it have no pointer? With no pointer it IS a SIXAXIS controller (except for shape).

Sony would be better off to release their own "PS3Sports", that purely uses the Sixaxis movement - maybe in a shell of some sort. Then they could promote the better gfx, better online play, more content, etc.

Sony would be showing the Wii for what it is:  a more powerful gamecube with a new control scheme.  By pricing the PS2 at $99 for entry, if third parties are creating their games on a system that would actually sell games compared to Nintendo, it would be successful.

The Wii is as powerful as the Xbox, and the PS2 killed the Xbox last generation.  The big advantage of the Wii is the price, and that would go to the PS2.

Yes, it would have to have a pointer to get the Wii ports.  Just like the Time Crisis gun will have, except that one will have 2. 

gorgepir said:
windbane said:
gorgepir said:
Strange that you are looking forward to motion sensing and last generation graphics so much. Really strange. Having motion sensing and GOW? I thought you were against motion sensing and "previous generation graphics". I guess you are probably just being hypocrites.
I said it was my opinion. I don't think a company should think of the past. They should put all their support on PS3. You are entitled to your opinion (which in my opinion is definitely fanboyish), but to think that the PS2 will compete with the Wii? Really absurd. Maybe a better thing to say was if PS2 gets Wiimotes then it could compete with the PS3.
@ theshoe23 : WTF? do you really think like a 15 year old or are you really 15? Why would it hurt?

Hate to break it to you, but the PS2 already competes with the Wii. Many games on the Wii are ports from the PS2.

Do you think you can get away with such a thing on a video game tracking website?

Just because the DS is outselling the PSP does not mean they don't compete, right?

The PS2 is competing with the Wii for budget-minded gamers.

The hype from the Wii would be dampened quite a bit with this move. 

Around the Network

Well, I just checked and was wrong, I guess it would be a good strategy for Sony to do this. Their PS2 sales are higher than PS3 sales and this could only increase it. Once again, in my opinion if they really do this, they show that they have gave up on PS3. Simple as that.

RolStoppable said:
windbane said:

Wow.

Just...wow.

Edit: To answer your question that was prefaced by nonsense...it would be $150 cheaper at worst. That's why. Pack-in games and/or a cheap controller would also be a reason for existing PS2 owners.

The real nonsense in this thread is the existence of it in the first place. This rumor was already discussed about 2 weeks ago and debunked. The general consensus was that it would hurt Sony more than it would help them.

Sorry, must have missed that topic.

Don't you Wii fanboys have anything better to do than troll in a Sony forum? 

windbane said:
gorgepir said:
windbane said:
gorgepir said:

Just because the DS is outselling the PSP does not mean they don't compete, right?

So then who is PS3 competing with? Xbox360? 

Their combined sales aren't equal to the Wii yet, so sorry I can't accept your definition. You can twist it anyway you want. The truth still remains. Wii is competing with PS3 and Xbox360. You can turn a blind eye to it, still won't change the fact. Sorry. 

gorgepir said:
Well, I just checked and was wrong, I guess it would be a good strategy for Sony to do this. Their PS2 sales are higher than PS3 sales and this could only increase it. Once again, in my opinion if they really do this, they show that they have gave up on PS3. Simple as that.

Wrong about what?  I assume PS2 sells are stronger than you thought?  They are doing rather well, and a price-cut is yet to come.

PS2 versus Wii.

PS3 versus 360.

Sony isn't giving up on the PS3 by combating the Wii sales.  The Wii is last generation graphics, and so is the PS2.  Nintendo is the one that gave up on the next-gen graphics (and quite successfully so far I might add). 

gorgepir said:
windbane said:
gorgepir said:
windbane said:
gorgepir said:

So then who is PS3 competing with? Xbox360?

Their combined sales aren't equal to the Wii yet, so sorry I can't accept your definition. You can twist it anyway you want. The truth still remains. Wii is competing with PS3 and Xbox360. You can turn a blind eye to it, still won't change the fact. Sorry.

Yes, for developers attention the Wii is competing with the 360 and PS3.  However, the PS3 and 360 are getting a majority of the high-profile titles still.  With the new PS2 waggle, developers could have 2 systems for less graphical games and an easy way to sell more PS2 games.