By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - VGChartz hatred?

It seems like whenever I see VGChartz numbers used, people flock to hate on it.

Case and point, from n4g, "Is the PS3 really catching up to the Xbox 360?"

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the following is NOT an N4G article. It's a comment on this article. The arrticle cited VGChartz data (with questionable spin but I digress).

"This isn't even funny. It's just sad.

Just a quick history of vgchartz:

* The hardcore Xbox fan who started the site use to post fake numbers on neogaf until he was perma-banned from the site

* He went off an started vgchartz so he could fabricate fake and inflated 360 sales numbers without interference from people with access to legitimate sales numbers

* Back when Microsoft flooded the retail channel with an extra 1.5 million or so 360s he was posting the ridiculously fake 10.5 million sold marketing claim by Microsoft as an actual sell thru number

* As the PS3 has continued to sell more and more every month to the point where it was surpassing the 360 even in the US, suddenly vgchartz started to make all sorts of ridiculous claims about how NPD(the main US console retail tracker) was 'innacurate' and their own fake and inflated 360 sales numbers were right

* Since Europe doesn't have a single retail tracking firm for the entire region, vgchartz has been using the lack of public data to pad out 360 sales in all sorts of 'mystery regions' like Others and Others/Others

* Vgchartz has frequently been caught inflating 360 sales numbers so much that they were actually higher than known shipment totals for the console or were sales numbers that would require the 360 to have less consoles sitting on store shelves than the Wii

* Vgchartz flat out fradulently makes the claim that they do retail tracking. Retail tracking is an enormously labor intensive and labor heavy process that game companies pay for legitimate companies like NPD do. The kid who runs vgchartz not only is making the absurd claim that he is able to do what so many game companies have been paying NPD for for years, but that he can do it for the entire world.

Vgchartz is a sad and pathetic site.

It is an outright fraud.

Vgchartz numbers are not 'a little off' or 'estimates' they are fabricated by the little kid who runs the site to desperately try to inflate 360 sales.

Vgchartz is banned from virtually every legitimate gaming forum on the net. It has no place here on this site and needs to be banned permanently.

Edit:

And in the most damning example of the outright fraud vgchartz is, the historical sales data for the Xbox and has been changed/rigged so the 360 would look like it was handily outpacing the first Xbox in sales. In reality the Xbox and Xbox 360 are selling at an almost identical(withing 5 percent) rate worldwide after the same number of months on the market."

I mean, wow... bitter much? Though I do wonder how much of this is true.

and edit: forgot to mention, I thought if anything this site was pro-PS3?

PSN: chenguo4
Current playing: No More Heroes

Around the Network

woah was this all in one thread ?

This is a well known fact that N4G is very PS3 biased n so thinks like this

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

This was ONE guy. I was just like, holy shit.

PSN: chenguo4
Current playing: No More Heroes

Former something....

Around the Network

I thought the story was thought a hardcore Nintendo fan started the site?

Anyway, this just sounds like some desperate Sony fanboys.

Lol...I've heard ioi called a Wii fanboy...but never an XBox fanboy.

Aj_habfan said:

So those 360 games he owns are decoration?

Thought he didn't then cheacked and was wrong >_>

Former something....

Aj_habfan said:

So those 360 games he owns are decoration?

I wouldn't call him either....

But owning a system and its games doesn't make you a fanboy.

Edit....it appears you comment might have been directed at saber...who had deleted his post when I got to the thread.  Woops.