By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Opinions: Will Microsoft make a retaliatory price reduction.

With the news of Sony's $100 discount on the 60GB model, do you think Microsoft will follow suit and discount the 360?

I'm hoping so, as I returned my faulty 360 on the weekend and I am planning on buying another. However, I don't think there is any reason for Microsoft to do so as they are still cheaper and have definately the better game library... not to mention Halo.

(For the record, consider me Pro-Sony. I bought a 360 on release week, a Wii on release week, and foolishly a PS3 on release week. I am however realistic, and there is still not one game for the PS3 i'm willing to spend £50 on. I spend most console playing time on the 360, and I hate console FPS (Favourite games: Crackdown, Overlord and TMNT in that order.) I play twich on the pc. I'm nearly 30, owned every console since the 2600 and should really find a better way to spend my free time)

Around the Network

I think they will do one of the following:

1- cut the price very soon.

2- wait a bit to see how the sales of the 360 compare to the PS3's before considering cutting the price.

Normally I wouldn't admit the second possibility, but now I do, for two reasons:

- the PS3 is selling very bad numbers

- Microsoft has repeatedly stated that it wants its entertainment division to be profitable in the new fiscal year

My conclusion is that they won't let the sales of the PS3 overcome the 360's (they have deep pockets and that's something they don't want), but they won't necessarily cut the price as a pure response to Sony's decision.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

One thing I feel sure of: Nintendo won't cut the Wii price unless Microsoft makes a substantial price cut (50+). The PS3 cut is nearly irrelevant to them.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Bodhesatva said:
One thing I feel sure of: Nintendo won't cut the Wii price.

If Kwaad's prediction in my sig turns out to be true, they will! :P

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I would say there is about 50% chance for them lowering the price at least $50 this Wednesday (E3). And 90% change for them to lower the price at least $50 this year.
The unknown factor, they need to take into account is, when and how to introduce the new 0.65 core. Sony has found a way in the USA, with the new 80Gb version, that will properly contain there 0.65 core(s).
Ms, can do the same when the Elite comes to EU, it will properly be the 0.65 version.

Around the Network

I am pretty certain that if Sony legimately drops the PS3 $100, Microsoft will match it, and drop the 360 $100. It's been out far longer, and has had huge cuts in the price to make a 360 since debut, and even @ a $100 pricecut, MS would probably make cash on the hardware (abliet smaller).

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

We first and foremost.  Don't forget that MS has just had to shell out $1.1b for repairs and extended warranties and going by reports, they aren't quite making a profit yet on sales of the 360.

They want to have positive profits next year, so can they afford to cut the price of the 360?

And if they do, what will it be?

Also, the core system is a waste of time and will be phased out all together as some stage, although it would probably get a reduction as well.  I reckon the premium system could only be reducd by $50 max and I doubt they will reduce the price of the Elite system so early after release and remember it's only $20 cheaper than the PS3.

Core - $249.99

Premium - $349.99

Elite - $479.99 

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Patcher thinks MS will drop the price by $50 for the core/prem and $80 for the Elite Tuesday:

The first major news of the week is Sony’s Monday morning PS3 price cut, with its 60Gb model cut from $599 to $499. We expect Microsoft to follow suit on Tuesday. Sony also announced that it is introducing a PS3 (80GB) at $599, bundled with Motorstorm. The price cut confirms recent speculation and signals from the company following disappointing sales so far.

We expect Microsoft to follow with a price cut of its own, with the Xbox 360 core model going from $299 to $249, the Xbox 360 premium model going from $399 to $349, and Xbox 360 Elite model going from $479 to $399. Last week, Microsoft announced a slight Xbox 360 shipment shortfall (11.6 million units versus prior guidance of 12 million units
through June 30), and we do not believe that the company is prepared to allow Sony to erode its pricing advantage.

In our view, the value proposition for the PS3 is increased at the new lower price point, putting increased pressure on Microsoft to cut the price of its Xbox 360. The 80Gb and 60Gb PS3 models compare favorably to the 120Gb and 20Gb Xbox 360 models. Both PS3 models have WiFi built in, while it is an extra accessory for the Xbox 360. Sony’s
PS3s come with HDMI output, while only the Elite 360 model has HDMI. The Elite offers HDMI cables, while the PS3s do not. The PS3 80Gb version comes bundled with Motorstorm and there is currently a Blu-ray Disc Summer Promotion where PS3 (along with any other Blu-ray player) buyers will get 5 free movies. On balance, we think that
the lower $499 price point for the PS3 60Gb model offers consumers a compelling value compared to the current $479 price point for the Xbox 360 Elite model—while the Elite has a 120Gb hard drive and HDMI cables, it does not have WiFi built in nor does it offer Blu-ray playback capability, with both standard features for the PS3. Similarly, we think that the $499 PS3 compares quite favorably with the $399 Pro 360 model, which has only a 20Gb hard drive and no HDMI output. Because of this favorable comparison, we believe that Microsoft is all but compelled to cut prices, and we think the price cuts will come no later than at Microsoft’s Tuesday night press conference.

We note that the failure rate on PS2 was less than 1/2%, and according to Sony management, the failure rate on PS3 is even lower. Overall returns of PS2 were under 5% (people who didn't like it), and so far, returns for the PS3 are even lower. Microsoft’s $1 billion charge for Xbox 360 hardware failure problems last week suggests to us that the
failure rate is somewhere above 10% of all units shipped, given that the charge is approximately 25% of all revenues from Xbox 360 sales. Though we believe that Microsoft has corrected the design flaws that led to the hardware failure, we think that the company is under pressure to maintain its price advantage over Sony, and expect that it will follow Sony’s price cut this week.

We do not expect Nintendo to cut the price of its Wii or DS this year as sales for both are still very strong and are anticipated to remain so through the end of the year.

Bundle GTAIV and/or H3 for $350 for the Premium and you have a holiday winner. IMO, $50 is still too low though. I'd like to see atleast a 20% drop in price across the board.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

I wouldn't be surprised if they DON'T drop it at E3 - but do "manufacture" a drop just before the Halo release - potentially with a Halo 3 pack - for an ultra sales boost.

Either way, with Sony making the first move - the court is open for MS, and they have control over pricing/timing and can do what they want (no chance of Sony dropping again).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

I have said it before and I will say it again. I expect MS to drop the price of the 360 by $100 and if it such a move takes place it will effectively finish off the PS3 in North America.