By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Opinions: Will Microsoft make a retaliatory price reduction.

Ninty will only drop if the core 360 drops below the price of the Wii

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:

Even then they won't. Nintendo won't drop their price until demand is satiated.

That probably won't happen until early 2008. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

I don't know when, but I agree with the rest of what rocketpig said.  It wouldn't make financial sense otherwise - why sell a product cheaper when it can, in fact, be sold for more?

What is a better result for MS?

1/ To continue to outsell the PS3 monthly (US), and to beat it for the year

2/ To actually turn a profit in Q3 (Xmas), and to bring the Entertainment division into the black?

I vote for "2". MS would be happy to show a profit, and for Sony to make a larger loss.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

shams said:
What is a better result for MS?

1/ To continue to outsell the PS3 monthly (US), and to beat it for the year

2/ To actually turn a profit in Q3 (Xmas), and to bring the Entertainment division into the black?

I vote for "2". MS would be happy to show a profit, and for Sony to make a larger loss.

What's better for MS is to squash Sony. They can continue to take a loss in their entertainment division (also held into the red by the Zune) if it puts Sony into a financial bind that they cannot recover from. If MS pushes Sony's buttons correctly this generation, they can force Sony to do one of two things:

1) End the PS3 early (2010 or so) and start over with the PS4

or

2) Force Sony into a multi-billion loss over this entire generation

The latter is more likely but MS needs to put the screws to Sony for a multitude of reasons. First, it allows them more leeway with developers. They won't have to pay oodles of money to every dev to get them to develop for the system. Second, Sony can't stand the same financial strain that Microsoft can. It forces their hand much more quickly and allows MS to become the initiator instead of the follower. Third, after all of this is done, it puts doubt into the consumer mind about the Playstation brand, once a foothold of the entire industry. There can't be enough said about this emotional impact on Sony. Fourth, it entrenches MS in the living room. This is their entire goal. They'll make money down the road but right now, they need users. And they need them badly.

That's probably the only thing I respect about Microsoft. They're one of the few companies out there (GE can also go in this category) that commits not to a five year run or even a ten year run. They look beyond this generation and see where they can capitalize next.

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

Well my assumption is demand for the Wii may slow a bit if the 360 core is cheaper than the Wii

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:

Well my assumption is demand for the Wii may slow a bit if the 360 core is cheaper than the Wii

Well, I don't see that happening. I think they're covering very different markets.

But if that does happen, yeah, Nintendo could drop the price by $50 easily.

ckmlb said:
NJ5 said:
Bodhesatva said:
One thing I feel sure of: Nintendo won't cut the Wii price.

If Kwaad's prediction in my sig turns out to be true, they will! :P

Get ready to scratch off another prediction on your list because the 360 price cut is being announced tomorrow at E3. Months before Halo 3 even comes out...

I don't need to... Did you notice the "but not only if" part? I specifically meant that the Halo 3 stuff is just one of the possible causes for a 360 price drop.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Microsoft more in likely not going to cut the priced this year because Microsoft wants the 360 profitable in 08