By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - American software up- To Human does

@starcraft

Go look in Onyxmeth's '360 exclusives for 2008' thread. You will find Too Human is one of the ten most popular exclusives of 2008. 

Edit: Also with an estimated budget of $80M ($80-100M, but I will take the most conservative estimate), then assuming SK get $20 for each copy sold, it would need to sell 4M units lifetime to break even. So yeah, it did flop... hard.

Around the Network
tombi123 said:

@starcraft

Go look in Onyxmeth's '360 exclusives for 2008' thread. You will find Too Human is one of the ten most popular exclusives of 2008. 

Edit: Also with an estimated budget of $80M ($80-100M, but I will take the most conservative estimate), then assuming SK get $20 for each copy sold, it would need to sell 4M units lifetime to break even. So yeah, it did flop... hard.

You realise that the vast, VAST majority of that number (assuming it is even VAGUELY correct) was spent developing the game for the PS1 and the Gamecube right?  It's only been an Xbox 360 title for 3 1/2-4 years.

As for the thread.  What grounds is he using to determine how "popular" games are?

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

starcraft said:
tombi123 said:

@starcraft

You realise that the vast, VAST majority of that number (assuming it is even VAGUELY correct) was spent developing the game for the PS1 and the Gamecube right?  It's only been an Xbox 360 title for 3 1/2-4 years.

As for the thread.  What grounds is he using to determine how "popular" games are?

It is irrelevant how much was spent on PS1 development and gamecube development. It cost $80M to develop and it sold about 200K first week. Therefore it is a flop. 

I don't know, ask Onyxmeth. I assume by "popular" he means most anticipated. 

UK week 35, too human in number 5, wow, it has only been on sales for 2-4 days.
i think next week too human will still on top 10

This is a silly argument. Neither Starcraft nor Tombi can prove how popular a game was or how much hype a game got because there's no way to measure or map it out.

I will say though, that the game looks like it won't get back it's development cost, and by most that would be considered a flop.

Around the Network

Ugh, Too Human failed, people need to get over it

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

That 80-100 million needs a lot of clarifying. Some ppl have said its what the trilogy costs which that is fine. Others say its from the PS1 era to the present of just the first installment of the series. There is also a rumor that MS covered all the expenses of Too Human including earlier dev time etc etc. I find that hard to believe but who knows.

@Tombi If we knew where the 80-100 million number was coming from and had some more info then the cost incurred in the PS1 and Gamecube days might not be relevant to MS game studios and how much money has been thrown around and to what places. To say that the money spent prior to SK coming to the 360 is irrelevant is not keeping an open mind and thinking about all the possibilities of the matter. In this situation we just dont have concrete proof as far as I know. If we do someone post it!

135k in america and now 9k in Japan brings the number to 144k which yea kinda sucks. However, there was no advertisement via television in NA that I have seen. Lots of stores have reported shortages but we'll have to wait and see over the next few weeks if those claims have any merit. Also the game did not release in Europe until a couple days ago. All in all the game still has a lot of sales factors that need time to play out. The game, IMO, could sell 500-700k by the end of the holiday season. But yes the game is going to get sucktastic sales compared to what its gone through.

Consoles Owned: Sega Genesis, NES, PS2 (RIP) N64, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii

"In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations, and epochs it is rule."

~ Friedrich Nietzsche

Some helpful words of wisdom do not count on these figures being even remotely accurate. The past couple months have shown just how flawed the weekly numbers really are. Regardless game sales tracking for all but the highest selling titles are routinely proven wrong. That said did anyone even see a single advertisement for this particular title? That has a major influence on game sales.

The 80-100 Million cost can't be right...
That's insane...

flames_of - "I think you're confusing Bush with Chuck Norris."

Wii: 80-85 Million end of 2009 (1.1.09)