By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - New Version Of PlayStation 3 To Go On Sale In August

Dolla Dolla said:
your mother said:
BenKenobi88 said:
Why are people saying the 80 GB is cheaper?

Then why the hell does it cost us more??

It costs cheaper per mb.

The price difference between 60/80gb drives is miniscule. The 80gb version, I'm almost positive, will have the newer motherboard that has removed the EE chip, thus less parts, cheaper to produce.

My theory is ... it costs more because they want to get rid of the 60gb stock. Hell, even the 60gb version in EU is cheaper than the US version because of the hardware difference. So, if they get rid of the 60gb stock, then they can do one of two things:

1) Discontinue the 60gb. This way, they can eliminate the pack-in for the 80gb and offer that at $499.

or

2) Introduce the 60gb EE-less version to the US at $499 and keep the 2-SKU package.

But, I think the price difference between the 60gb and 80gb is ridiculous. The pack-in game and 20gb doesn't justify $100 extra dollars, IMO.

That didn't seem to stop more people from buying the 60gig PS3 as opposed to the 20gig, even though the different features between the two didn't affect gaming at all. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't bundles usually sell well? Though I still think at least a 100 gig HDD, a bluetooth headest, or even something like an included HDMI or component cable would be a bit better (speaking of HDMI, I saw a ~9 foot HDMI cable at Meijer's the other day for only $25).

Around the Network

Motorstorm bundle is a limited edition. Meaning this 80gb version will drop in price as well apparently soon after (pre-holidays?).

I guess this confirms 80gb to replace 60 gb at 500 dollars for the holidays, meaning the price drop happens except you get 20 gb more inthe console too at the new 500 dollar price. 

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

That's interesting, especially if the 80gig does eventually phase out the 60gig at $500. Anyway, Motorstorm is a fun game and everybody that I've showed it too have loved it so that's not a bad choice for the bundle.

LoL all the whining and bitching and look at whos doing most of it, news is not even official people.

1 - And use your freaking brains, they wont and cant say once 60 gb is sold out the 80 gb will cost the same (500) since that would ruin sales NOW with people waiting for the slightly bigger hdd PS3

2 - Motorstorm (59.99) So $540 for a 80GB PS3, MS is charging $180 for a 120 gb drive. Whats so crazy about any of this.

3 - THINK, you all think that Sony will discontinue the 60 gig and ONLY sale the 80 GB PS3 with a game ? WTF a permanent bundle with no hardware only option for purchase. Has any one ever done that.

If they patched motorstorm to include splitscreen multiplayer and added another SixAxiS ... then the $600 bundle would be worth it.

Glad it's limited though. Was beginning to think Sony was losing their marbles ...

Around the Network
IllegalPaladin said:
I think they should add in a bluetooth headset along with that as well, maybe even if it was the same kind that's being included with the retail version of Warhawk or something. Either that, or increase the HDD size to at least 100gigs.

I agree that a headset should be included, because more PS3 owners need headsets.

However, I'm not sure why others are saying this is negative.

@shams:  comparing this move to the elite 360 is ridiculous.  M$ did not drop the price.  They just added a decent deal while screwing over early adopters with their stupid hard drive situation (can't upgrade without $180).  Sony has dropped the price starting this week.  They dropped it $100, and it still does everything the Elite does (because M$ added HDMI to elite after saying it was not needed), except it also plays blu-ray movies for $20 more.  60GB of extra space is offset by free online play, and then some.

If you want Motorstorm and 20GB extra, then you can overpay for the bundle and get it.  I think they should include Lair instaed since it's not out until August, but whatever.  At least include a headset with online Lair play (which I believe might not exist) or something.  Still, it's not a bad deal and all they did was add features to the current price point.

So there are 2 great options:

1.  $100 off for the Premium 60GB PS3.  Awesome.

2.  If you still have $600, you get 20 extra GB and Motorstorm.  Alone, that's a good deal.  I think it would be better if it was Lair since that game isn't out yet, or Heavenly Sword.  Better yet, just give someone a coupon for a free game.  Or, just add a headset, like I said.  Still, with the current deal it's only worse because $100 is better.

Also, you still get the 5 free blu-ray movies with the purchase of any blu-ray player for several months.  That deal includes the PS3.  There isn't much negative in these announcements. 

ckmlb said:
BenKenobi88 said:

Because the new 80 gb versions have lower production costs with all that they changed with emulation and stuff.

Honestly, I understand why it costs less to produce an 80 GB version.

Which is why I'm pissed, because it costs Sony less, but they're charging more.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

This new 80 gig model is seriously sketchy. There is no way that their long term plan is to have 2 SKUs like that. Seems to me they just want to drop the price so they can clear out the 60 gig PS3s and let them die and the 80 gig becomes standard because it is obviously much more profitable.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

BenKenobi88 said:
ckmlb said:
BenKenobi88 said:

Because the new 80 gb versions have lower production costs with all that they changed with emulation and stuff.

your not buying it, so why are you so pissed. 

Charging more.

a 60gb PS3 cost 600 now a 80gb PS3 with a game is 600.   God damn this is really making me angry.

Celb said:
BenKenobi88 said:
ckmlb said:
BenKenobi88 said:

your not buying it, so why are you so pissed.

Charging more.

a 60gb PS3 cost 600 now a 80gb PS3 with a game is 600. God damn this is really making me angry.

That's right I'm not buying it...I wouldn't mind buying a PS3 if I could actually afford it...but no, let's keep the standard price at $600!

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )