By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - New Version Of PlayStation 3 To Go On Sale In August

IM wondering why people think that the 60gb modle will go away because of this. the premium 360 went no where when the elite came out. the fact that the 60gb modle got cheaper makes it more consumer friendly then 600 bux. motorstorm and 20gb of space is basically for people who were saving for a ps3 at 600 bux. other than hardcore gamers online most regular consumers have heard nothing of the 60gb price drop because it wasn't offcialy announced.

nobody can sit here and tell me that if they had 600 bux for a ps3 and then went into a gameing store to buy the system and finds out that they can get a new 80 gb model for the price they saved up for with a free game (worth 60 bux)and a 5 free blu-ray movies (worth 20-40 bux each)

Around the Network
ckmlb said:
windbane said:
Celb said:

Or you buy the 60gb PS3 for $100 less. There is no negative. Just because one deal is better than the other does not mean both deals are bad. Also, ckmlb says the 80GB will be a limited edition.

It's not me saying it, it's on the box check it. It's on the PS blog now this same pic and it says limited edition on it.

I was just giving you credit for finding it and posting on that fact first, heh.

I don't think they should have announced that at this point, and the pack-in game should be different, but oh well.  Adding 2 deals with 1 not being quite as good just gives all these guys reason to attack.  

This is much better than what microsoft did. 

Goddbless said:
In the publics eyes it seems as if Sony didn't drop the price at all.

The public does not all need motorstorm. I think they'll understand this complicated concept of the price dropping $100.

They'll have a month to see the $500 PS3 before the limited edition 80GB starts. 

grimygunz said:
IM wondering why people think that the 60gb modle will go away because of this. the premium 360 went no where when the elite came out. the fact that the 60gb modle got cheaper makes it more consumer friendly then 600 bux. motorstorm and 20gb of space is basically for people who were saving for a ps3 at 600 bux. other than hardcore gamers online most regular consumers have heard nothing of the 60gb price drop because it wasn't offcialy announced.

nobody can sit here and tell me that if they had 600 bux for a ps3 and then went into a gameing store to buy the system and finds out that they can get a new 80 gb model for the price they saved up for with a free game (worth 60 bux)and a 5 free blu-ray movies (worth 20-40 bux each)

Exactly.  $500 for those that were waiting on a price cut, and extra 20GB and a great game for the same price point.  Good either way, even if 1 option is better.  Also, no new features were added that would cost a lot to have if you already have a PS3. 

BenKenobi88 said:
ckmlb said:
BenKenobi88 said:
Why are people saying the 80 GB is cheaper?

Then why the hell does it cost us more??

Because the new 80 gb versions have lower production costs with all that they changed with emulation and stuff.

Honestly, I understand why it costs less to produce an 80 GB version.

Which is why I'm pissed, because it costs Sony less, but they're charging more.

God forbid Sony tries to make some money off of this business they are in.  Hey, while we're at it why don't we burn Nintendo to the ground for trying to make money from the start!  The greedy bastards.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

Around the Network
ChichiriMuyo said:
BenKenobi88 said:
ckmlb said:
BenKenobi88 said:

Because the new 80 gb versions have lower production costs with all that they changed with emulation and stuff.

God forbid Sony tries to make some money off of this business they are in. Hey, while we're at it why don't we burn Nintendo to the ground for trying to make money from the start! The greedy bastards.

I would certainly like the Wii to be $200...but still, $250 is easier to pay than $600.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Of course it will boost sales a little, but what is with these expectations of doubling sales??? It's not that big a cut, considering there was already a 20GB with nearly the same capabilities at that price that sold so bad it was discontinued. I don't think this will happen to the 60GB, but it certainly shows that $500 isn't some magic "save the PS3" number. It's going to take a larger price cut. My prediction is sales increase between 10% and 20%. There will likely be a 30%-50% increase for the first week on the people who were waiting.

Wouldn't it be sweet if they released a different color for the new version? It wouldnt cost them any money, it would differentiate the two models and I think that it would push sales.

BenKenobi88 said:
ChichiriMuyo said:
BenKenobi88 said:
ckmlb said:
BenKenobi88 said:

God forbid Sony tries to make some money off of this business they are in. Hey, while we're at it why don't we burn Nintendo to the ground for trying to make money from the start! The greedy bastards.

I would certainly like the Wii to be $200...but still, $250 is easier to pay than $600.

Why are you ignoring the $100 price-cut?  It's $500. 

Windbane, read the rest of his posts.  It's pretty clear that even the people who follow these matters pretty closely have completely missed what's going on here.  People are acting like the 60GB is somehow being replaced by the 80GB model that says limited edition on the damn box.

Nazatips, it doesn't matter that you, I, and most forum denizens know that the 20GB was perfectly fine.  The general consumer didn't.  The general consumer out numbers you about 100 million to one.  So when the general consumer saw the two models at the system's launch they assumed that, like the Core system, the 20GB was crippled.  They thing didn't sell because uniformed people thought it was bad.  You need to get out of your tiny little corner of the world and realize that just because the maligned 20GB didn't sell well doesn't mean the 60GB will fail at the same price.  Hell, by following your logic (OMG, there was already a $500 PS3 and it didn't sell) it'd be easy to make the conclusion that, since the 20GB failed so miserably, the PS3 would sell less at $500.  You know, 'cause the 20GB didn't sell well at that price either.  Don't be ridiculous, this price drop will increase sales noticably and so will the eminent influx of games.

You do not have the right to never be offended.