By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - New Version Of PlayStation 3 To Go On Sale In August

kn said:
Overall I think it's a good move to cut the console 100 bucks. It's the same console one had to pay 600 for now. I don't think the motorstorm + 20 gigs is worth a 100 bucks, though. They should have done something like mentioned above -- 549 or something like that -- or put a much larger drive in for the 100 dollar delta.

Any guesses as to how MS responds?

yep

behond the Xbox 360 Super Elite with a 160GB HDD for $550

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
BenKenobi88 said:
How is Motorstorm + 20 gigs worth $100?

Sorry Sony fans, but you can't justify this...it's a rip-off. Just buy the $499 version and be happy.

Essentially you're paying full-price for Motorstorm, $60, and then $40 for 20 gb of storage. That doesn't sound like a deal at all...they should have made it $549.99.

Well actually its a $60 game plus 20GB. Just one GB usually (for PSP and camera) run for $20 so 20x20 would be $400 bucks.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

From a mass marketing perspective I see this as a bad move. Instead of a clear message going out that the PS3 is now $499. It's a muddled message that it's back to $499 basic and $599 premium (although better than at launch). I doubt this will have much impact on sales. The price point is still way too high, and still no killer apps.
I see this serving only Sony for two reasons: A) The 80gb version is without question more profittable, er, less of a drain than the 60gb. B) Makes stockholders happy they are doing something

kn said:
Overall I think it's a good move to cut the console 100 bucks. It's the same console one had to pay 600 for now. I don't think the motorstorm + 20 gigs is worth a 100 bucks, though. They should have done something like mentioned above -- 549 or something like that -- or put a much larger drive in for the 100 dollar delta.

Any guesses as to how MS responds?

The rumor is a $350 360 premium.

roadkillers said:
BenKenobi88 said:

Sorry Sony fans, but you can't justify this...it's a rip-off. Just buy the $499 version and be happy.

Essentially you're paying full-price for Motorstorm, $60, and then $40 for 20 gb of storage. That doesn't sound like a deal at all...they should have made it $549.99.

Well actually its a $60 game plus 20GB. Just one GB usually (for PSP and camera) run for $20 so 20x20 would be $400 bucks.

Yeah...I said it was a $60 game plus 20 GB...?

And we're talking harddrives here, not flash storage. Hard drives, for a long time, were about $1 per gig. Now it's even cheaper...though the smaller hard drives are usually a less value than the bigger hard drives.

I mean...you can buy 500 GB for $90.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network
BenKenobi88 said:
roadkillers said:
BenKenobi88 said:

Well actually its a $60 game plus 20GB. Just one GB usually (for PSP and camera) run for $20 so 20x20 would be $400 bucks.

Yeah...I said it was a $60 game plus 20 GB...?

And we're talking harddrives here, not flash storage. Hard drives, for a long time, were about $1 per gig. Now it's even cheaper...though the smaller hard drives are usually a less value than the bigger hard drives.

I mean...you can buy 500 GB for $90.

yes but notebook drives are normally a bit more then desktop drives. A 160GB notebook drive is like $150 160GB desktop drive is like $100.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

So for MS from the Premium to the Elite, you spend $80 and get HDMI and 100 GB.

But for Sony from their low-end to high-end, you spend $100 and get 20 GB and an old game that has good-but-not-great reviews.

Also what's the point of a pack-in game that doesn't get you to show it off to other people to play with you (no splitscreen multiplayer).

This will just negate most of the sales boost they'd see from the price drop imo. Apparently they had to do it to avoid losing too much money on just a straight-up price cut I guess.

DKII said:
So for MS from the Premium to the Elite, you spend $80 and get HDMI and 100 GB.

But for Sony from their low-end to high-end, you spend $100 and get 20 GB and an old game that has good-but-not-great reviews.

Also what's the point of a pack-in game that doesn't get you to show it off to other people to play with you (no splitscreen multiplayer).

This will just negate most of the sales boost they'd see from the price drop imo. Apparently they had to do it to avoid losing too much money on just a straight-up price cut I guess.

actually the 80GB is probably cheaper to make then the 60GB so as more 80GB models are sold the more it cuts costs. I see another price drop by Christmas. 

Why are people saying the 80 GB is cheaper?

Then why the hell does it cost us more??

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

I think they should add in a bluetooth headset along with that as well, maybe even if it was the same kind that's being included with the retail version of Warhawk or something. Either that, or increase the HDD size to at least 100gigs.