By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Live Earth - Answer the call!

Live Earth! 07/07/07.

2 Billion (!!!) People watched the BIGGEST call for a better enviroment EVER!

Now how's that! Answer the Call!...

Post your favorite performances in this thread with a Youtube link (Look for Embed-code on the right of the movie)

Lots of pleasure to all of you and hope you guys are aware. Save the enviroment!

-Presurise your car's tires... This saves about 100Ton of Co2 emissions a year!

-Buy car's with filters to pull down Co2 emissions!

-Get lightbolbs that save up to 100 times the energy and last 10 times longer!

-Only shower for 5-10 minutes. This saves about 10% of gascosts for your house!

-Turn down the lights and don't keep stuff on standby. Just shut em down! This can save up to 20% of the electricity.

Now... For the clips:

Linkin park - In the end.

Black eyed peas - Where's the love.

Red hot chili peppers - By the way.

THE NETHERLANDS

Around the Network
StarcraftManiac said:

-Presurise your car's tires... This saves about 100Ton of Co2 emissions a year!

-Buy car's with filters to pull down Co2 emissions!

-Get lightbolbs that save up to 100 times the energy and last 10 times longer!

-Only shower for 5-10 minutes. This saves about 10% of gascosts for your house!

-Turn down the lights and don't keep stuff on standby. Just shut em down! This can save up to 20% of the electricity.

You're thinking too small.  Put solar panels on your house!  ;)

Keeping your tires inflated is pretty important though.  You don't just get better fuel economy, your tires last longer and they perform better, increasing your handling and stopping power to avoid accidents.  I see a low tire or three almost every time I walk through a parking lot. 

Lol..., No-one you liked?! What do you like then... Folk?!

Dude: Almost EVERYONE was playing.

Metal/Hiphop: Linkin park, metallica.

Hiphop: Snoop dogg.

Rap: Xzibit.

Shakira, the Black eyed peas, Kelly clarkson, Snow patrol, Red hot chilli peppers, Fall out boy, The police, Enrique iglesias, Pharell, Lenny kravitz, Joss stone, Wolfmother, Paul kelly, Rihanna and others... Almost every kind of music was represented ...

Btw: Give this thread some love! Iff u care for nature and the environement! Post something!

THE NETHERLANDS

While I didn't see it, I would have liked to have seen Cat Stevens (Usaf Islam). That guy's awesome.

As for the concert. What gets me isn't the attempts by today's musical acts to do some good and get across a message, it's the disconnect between the ideas and the music. " Alright everybody, we're destroying the earth with our waste and mismanagement! So lets all listen to my song about a girl who broke up with me!" Where is today's Bob Dyllan? Who'se going to be the next John Lennon? When will someone right the modern day Peace Train?

Ultimately my hope for this concert is a small one, but an important one none the less. The concerts took great steps to reduce their footprints and run efficiently. If the musical acts themselvs incorporate those practices in to their future tours, then I'll be pleased with what Live Earth has accomplished.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Its the small things that count. the solar panel thing is great if you want to spend ~ 20,000 on your house and you plan on living there for the next 20 years (by then you will have broken even). If you do things like drive less and use cloth bags at the grocery store, then you can help to save on emissions!

Around the Network
That Guy said:
Its the small things that count. the solar panel thing is great if you want to spend ~ 20,000 on your house and you plan on living there for the next 20 years (by then you will have broken even). If you do things like drive less and use cloth bags at the grocery store, then you can help to save on emissions!

Depends on what you're using the panels for. If it's a photovoltaic panel to generate electricity, then yes, the returns are fairly low. But if it's a solar thermal collector to heat your water, then it's a much larger saving AND you get the bonus of having hot water if the power ever goes out. 

Frankly, I think it should be mandatory for all car washes to use solar water heaters. Those that do instal them cut their natural gas consumption down by leaps and bounds and pay the installation off in 2 to 3 years. 

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

If the government subsidized the installation of solar panels on houses, then it would be a lot more prevalent (and cheap). As a developer, you want to cheap out on the materials as much as possible so that you can make more profit. If the government gave you a tax break or something for using green features, then these things would be more commonplace.

For a homeowner, it usually is too much money in the beginning to invest into a solar thingee.

One thing I've done for a while now is change all my normal incandescent lightbulbs to the eco-friendly ones.

I now only use 5w and 7w bulbs, but they put out around 50-90w equivalent to the traditional incandescent bulbs.

These bulbs are fantastic - they not only save money, but they are guaranteed to last 10 (!) years and even come with a membrane that covers the glass in case the bulb breaks, keeping the toxic gases trapped within the bulb. These bulbs are also cool to the touch - you can keep your palm on a lit eco bulb without burning yourself.

The only drawback is their price, which is around 10$ per bulb. However, given that they last for such a long time and are under "warranty", I think it's a worthwhile investment that pays for itself.

That Guy said:

I don't drive - I use public transportation (which happens to be extremely convenient over on this side of the pond), but I've always had an issue with plastic bags: I insist on them, given that a) there are no bio-degradable bags on sale here that I know of, and b) I use these plastic bags as rubbish bags so they at least do double duty.

Of course, the best thing for Hong Kong would be to ban plastic bags outright and limit the use of bags to biodegradable ones. Hong Kong gives out/uses/throws away about 8b plastic bags per year!

I didn't watch it either. Other than Roger Waters (who apparently played in the event), there's no one else I wanted to watch.