By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Live Earth - Answer the call!

ckmlb said:
I don't understand this concert.

Aren't they waisting energy by doing this huge spectacle?

they where using a biofuel of some sorts (unsure as to what exactly it was) they ran out of it 20 mins b4 the end at sydney and had to revert to generators

Around the Network
jstam said:
ckmlb said:
I don't understand this concert.

Aren't they waisting energy by doing this huge spectacle?

they where using a biofuel of some sorts (unsure as to what exactly it was) they ran out of it 20 mins b4 the end at sydney and had to revert to generators

wow the bands even used biofuel to fly their private 747s to the concerts??? no wonder everyone is listening to these people.

leo-j said:
That Guy said:
shams said:

I didn't watch it, but some of the acts would have interested me (huge Pink Floyd fan...). I think my brother was at the Sydney concert - until he rang me to say he was going(3 days ago), I had never even heard of the concert(s).

I'm all for saving energy. There is a lot that can be done *easily* (and cheaply), and that's a great place to start.

Solar panels can be good, but they aren't the simplest or cheapest solution. They actually require a lot of energy to create, are generally very inefficient (for electricity anyway) and you need to get a few years out of them (at least) to make it all break even.

Other simple things:

- don't keep chargers plugged in at powerpoints when not being used
- turn off stuff at powerpoints rather than standby (I'm guilty of this with many things)
- don't flush (as often) when "yellow"...
- install rain water tanks at home (big in Aussieland)
- turn off speakers, amps when not being used
- instead of using heaters (too much), try putting some warm clothing on!
- cycle/walk/public transport as much as possible (when possible)
- carpool/give people lifts

...and best yet - buy a Wii rather than a PS3! I'm doing my bit... :)

yes! Buy a Wii rather than PS3! PS3's take up more energy, thus a bigger carbon footprint. Let's all sing together

Wii are the world.... Wii are the people...

Really? do you see the wii trying to save people form cancer and alzhimers? No. The wii uses 10 watzz for online the 360 uses 2.3 and the ps3 uses 1.9 watzz. The wii uses alot of power for online alone.

Are you sure?

http://kotaku.com/gaming/wii/wiis-uses-about-onetenth-power-of-360-216051.php 

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-entertainment/ps3-twice-as-powerhungry-as-xbox-360-211005.php

Apparently when you're playing the game, the PS3 uses more than 1.9 watts, same goes for the Xbox360.

Anyways, maybe everyone offset their carbon footprint by investing in green energy thingees. I don't know how it works, but that's what some people do.  

PS3 uses during normal gameplay over 100 Watts and the WII 18 Watts, PS2 17 Watts.

So if you put the consumption of gaming and online together, you need a game to play online, the PS3 is in the overhand of power consumption of all three. Many tests have proven that. And if you don't believe me, check the back of your console on where it says 380 Watts against 45 Watts for the WII, can differ perhaps per region, I've checked the Japanese versions. My Japanese PS2 uses a maximum of 39 Watts. And don't forget the full HD / Plasma televisions which are required to enjoy fully of a PS3 or 360 for that matter. Those TV's eat energy like madness, comparing to a, say.. Sony Bravia LCD / HD Ready TV for example or Samsung, only Sony provides with lower Stand By consumption and stand by button.

And saving power to pay for lower bills counts more to most people then environment issues.

To be honest, most of Live Earth I found it was a joke. They tell us people not to travel by airplane and not to buy things which are imported by airplane. Well, excuse me mister Gore, but 90% of the things around "my" country are imported from abroad, even plastic bags which you'll get at stores when buying stuff are made in China. Even though if you buy European games, the discs and packages are made elsewhere. Original DS cartridges all say "made in Japan". Clothes, shoes, make up, even on my toothpaste it says: produced in the United Kingdom. Now, the North Sea is right in the middle of the Netherlands and the UK, I don't think the toothpaste came by train. What they should do is putting filters in airplanes to clean the emission or come up with cleaner fuel, unless you wish to destroy the entire world economics.

I personally concern about the world environment, especially when I see the disasters now in Asia and the United States on TV, with floods in the East of the globe and Forest Fires in the West part of the world. Also in the UK. I take my share of actions as well, but with the help of people only it won't help, factories, companies and governments should take their own actions instead of only projecting the concern on people. Companies should take responsibility as well, by producing less energy consuming products such as game consoles, plasma TV's, digital recievers, computers... you name it.

This profile is no longer in use, see my other profile *~Onna76~*

I've done my part, ran over two manbearpigs with my V8 SUV today.

Around the Network
tonyb said:
I've done my part, ran over two manbearpigs with my V8 SUV today.

running over 2 manbearpigs can stop 100 tons of CO2 per second!

I have a 1992 Jeep Cherokee that makes 16mpg, and I have a 1976 4x4 C10, that has a 2ton drive train under it, that makes about 4mpg. :D

I have a 40inch LCD TV that almost never turns off, a PS3 that never turns off, and a 600 watt computer that never turns off. I do use 26watt Flurecent lights tho. Damn do they make my room bright! Saves a total of ~300 watt's per fixture. (I have 3 of them) so that's some 900watts when I run them all.

I also have a 900watt sony sound system.

My future house if I do a eco-friendly house, you guys would drool at.

100% solar house, to convert the solar energy into hydrogen, (through a h2o splitter thingie) Store it in about 10 low pressure hydrogen tanks. (They look like the big natural gas tanks people have)
Then have a pump from one to pump the low pressure into 2 high pressure tanks. (The pump only runs whenthe 10 low pressure tanks are full, or the high pressure tanks are empty)

Then have a Hydrogen pump nozzle to put hydrogen in my hydrogen car, and a monster fuel-cell to power my house. Thus, I have power 24/7 256, even if it's a cloudy month, and has been VERY little sun. I would never have to touch the grid still.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

@Kwaad, why on earth do you need those kinda cars & what kinda engine do you have in those things, as I know you can get big Jeeps that do over 30mpg! Then again, the US has some irrational fear of diesel... Actually, they had some corvettes on show somewhere, and they could do better MPG than that, and they had like 5l engines, so I'm really confused here. :/

For the record, we have a 2000 1.4l Xsara, that does bout 40 mpg, and a 1997 2.2l Espace that does about 34mpg.

I went on some government website yesterday to calculate your individual/household carbon footprint, and our household (including cars etc.) produces 8 tons of CO2, which is good as the national average is 8 tons, so I'm preety pleased we're better than average :D

One person's experience or opinion never shows the general consensus

PSN ID: Tispower

MSN: tispower1@hotmail.co.uk

Hanging up now. No need for self-aggrandizing spotlight hogs who think they are the solution to the world's complex problems.

This was every bit as pointless as last year's Africa concert. Not a soul alive on the planet was unaware of poverty in Africa, and not one left who doesn't know about global climate change (at least, no one who could make a difference). It does nothing to convince skeptics or tamp down alarmists. It is a colossal waste of time and energy (and don't give me any of that carbon offset crap- they could just as well have bought those "offsets" and stayed home, perhaps actually doing a benefit instead of neutralizing their ongoing persuit of celebrity).

StarcraftManiac said:
Lol... No mutations?!... So that's why the people who had to clean the roof of the reactor have an expected life of 50 years of which 60% has already died and all have complaints in their arms, ears, eyes and legs.

Shall we compare that to the health effects on coal miners? How about the habitat destruction through oil spills?

Chernobyl was a tragic event, but it was caused because the Soviet's couldn't even build a proper automobile. France has been humming along on Homer power for decades now. How many frogs are glowing in the dark?

There is NO simple solution. If there was, we would have implemented it. But nuclear is now widely regarded as a far safer and cleaner alternative than previously thought.

Addendum:

According to this: http://www.cdi.org/russia/johnson/7023-14.cfm

The average life expectancy for Russian males (most likely the ones doing clean up) is under 59 years. Another factor to consider - what protective gear did they have on? My understanding is that they didn't take nearly the precautions that they should have.