By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Crytek thinks pirates would buy Crysis if they had to

[Source Destructoid]

Crytek thinks pirates would buy Crysis if they had to
by Jim Sterling on 08.28.2008 0 comments

The "I wouldn't have bought it anyway" defense is one of the Ten Golden Rules of videogame piracy (I rule at plugging) but it's a rule that Crysis developer Crytek doesn't find entirely valid. The studio argues that while not everybody who pirated Crysis would have potentially paid for it, sales were still lost.

"Well, clearly not all would have," conceded Crytek's engine business manager Harald Seeley. "But judging by, for example, the number of users who downloaded our patches, there were a lot more active players than there were unit sales. And I think we can safely say if they were still playing the game by the time our latest patch released, and if they were playing on a pirated copy, then they were a sale that didn’t happen but probably would have had it not been possible to obtain the game illegally."

Crysis is Crytek's most pirated game of all time, and CEO Cevat Yerli has had more than his fair share of words on the subject, even stating that the company would no longer produce PC exclusive content thanks to pirates. 

Of course, everyone knows that the "I wouldn't have bought it" argument is bollocks, just like most of the self-justifying horsesh*t that comes out of the mouths of those that pirate. If you want to steal stuff, fill your boots, I don't care. It's the pathetic excuse making that I can't stand.

MORE IN OUR Piracy SECTION

Around the Network

Crytek=pwn3d

Oh, forgot this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AzpByR3MvI

Prediction:
Disney will make KH3 with Nintendo.Yes,KH3 will be a Disney/Nintendo crossover.

Save the industry,Kill a Hardcore gamer

Stopped buying Ubisoft games.Will not buy Red Steel 2.Let them struggle on HD. Click here for a solution:CLICK
ALERT: I have also exposed a UBI'Z'OFT viral marketer in THIS thread.Read my posts, see the set up and watch how everything crumbles on page 8. Please learn from this experience.

I pirated Crysis, played it for an hour, uninstalled it and exorcised my computer. The only thing i was interested in was how my new computer could handle the game on the highest settings and once that was done the game was worthless.

Proud owner of the following gaming devices:

PC, XBox 360, Wii, PS2, DS, PS3

Gameplay seems pretty basic. Not that much of an amazing game, it's just pretty.....

4 ≈ One

I can play the game maxed out almost and i have beat the game and i can say its brilliant, one of the best games i have ever played and i bought it after i played the demo.

People should pay for their games like the rest of us, i think thats why developers make demos, so people can try them before they buy them. So i know for a fact some of you people are just cheap-skates.

Around the Network

Right.

I just bought Crysis coz the game had a price drop lately. At the first time, it pissed me off. Took me two days to finally enter the game. I really find it lame, coz i had the habit of playing hundreds of hours on the original Doom, Duke Nukem, when you had to deal with hordes of ennemies, you couldn't hide nor run, but fight your way in the levels.

I don't find this excitement in new PC shooter games, where you have to play hide and seak for hours against very few ennemis. Funny thing, i can see the leaf from the tree falling when waiting for nanosuit to reload, but when the situation is hot, u play in a diaporama :D

I was willing to pay for Psychonauts despite not even needing to, since I had a crack for it and a burned set. I'm not even interested enough in crysis to try obtain a pirated copy.

I'm not arguing the logic though. If the game is so hot that people are willing to the effort of pirating it and making it available, then at least part of those people grabbing it probably would have ended up buying it if it was made clear that it would not be possible to get a pirated version of it.

Doesn't mean that some people are willing to try the pirated copy purely because it's free. There are quite a few pirated games that I'm going "meh, okay, it's mildly entertaining, but i could have easily passed it right up"

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

I agree, Pirates suck and deserve no excuses.

And Crysis is not a medicore game, it's a lot better of a game than say Halo which is only overhyped. I had a lot of fun with the game and the multiplayer is really awesome, anyone who says it's medicore is obviously someone who got it expecting a medicore game then played an hour or less of it.

PC Gamer

I don't buy that line of reasoning.

If only because that doesn't suggest that they actually would of bought it in the first place.

For example I would of never bought a wii because i thought they were stupid until I saw some info on it.

While i had another friend who thought videogames as a whole were too expensive until I sat them down at a console and got them playing.

It's just as possible someone might have never played Crysis unless they had pirated it first... infact i'd say it's more likely because not to many people go to their friends house to play on their computer (to my knowledge).

Plenty of free Online games lose HUGE numbers of people the minute they go to a pay system.  I know when an old MUD i played went pay like two thirds of the players left.  People who had been playing 2-3 years.  I was one of them.

All that said I in know way condone piracy and think it's wrong.  I just don't like bad arguements.

1.5 mil is still an alright number of sales right? Especially one as talked about as this one. Gaming pirates can rot in the lowest level of hell.