By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Crytek thinks pirates would buy Crysis if they had to

JaggedSac said:
Maybe pc developers should implement some sort of renting scheme. It might curb some piracy and also make them money at the same time. It would be hard to implement in a way that was hard to steal, but maybe it could be done.

Well, you can already download "trial" versions of games on Steam, where they let you rent for a weekend, or something. They also offer services such as guest passes which is essentially a try-before-you-buy. It works. I bought Orange Box because of a free weekend on TF2.

Around the Network
Rock_on_2008 said:
vlad321 said:
While I do agree that Crysis has better gameplay than Halo that doesn't make it good at all. In fact not only was it a waste of money but it would have been a waste of an hour had i done right and pirated before buying it....

It's because of overhyped games like Crysis that piracy exists. People are jsut tired of shelling out money for subpar games. I want my 50 bucks back....

Crysis was definitely favoured graphics over gameplay. Crysis without the great graphics is a mediocre shooter. Developers may have to make PC games more harder to pirate. Blu-Ray PC games would be a great idea, Blu-Ray games can not be pirated on PS3. PS3 leads the weigh with 0% piracy of PS3 games. The competitor consoles, handhelds + PC on the other hand are very easy to pirate games and mod.

You do realise the reason behind the low PS3 pirating is because of the low Blu-ray reader/burner install rate in systems.

Sansui said:
vlad321 said:
While I do agree that Crysis has better gameplay than Halo that doesn't make it good at all. In fact not only was it a waste of money but it would have been a waste of an hour had i done right and pirated before buying it....

It's because of overhyped games like Crysis that piracy exists. People are jsut tired of shelling out money for subpar games. I want my 50 bucks back....

I'm definitely no halo fanboy, but Halo runs rampant over Crysis.  To be fair regarding the piracy argument, Crysis DID put out a demo at release, which I downloaded and evaluated and found to be pretty but shitty.

The demo should have been longer, but fortunately I figured out the game was crap in the 20 minutes or so the demo gave you.  As long as a company actually gives us a demo worth checking out, and they do it before/during launch, then that should be a good enough argument against downloading the entire game to 'try'. 

Now, if there's no demo, and I'm unsure about a PC game, there's no way I'm buying it.  Shell out 50-60 bucks for a game, then be unable to return it to the store because it's opened?  Fuck that.  And in that kind of scenario I can understand why someone would want to download the game first.

I actually liked the demo, wasn't that bad. You could actually get to the wrecked boat in one of few ways and I guess I led a single incident of pure chance dictate that i buy it (Running a buggy in the middle of a camp and blowing it up with peeps all around).

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835