By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Anallyst: PS3 Will Generate More Software Revenue Than Wii

Wii is still the number one console out there and there's no signs of it slowing up anytime soon.

However, at least one analyst believes that Sony will generate more revenue from software than Nintendo will in the long run.

During a panel session at last month's Nordic Game 2008 conference, DFC Intelligence analyst David Cole explained that Nintendo's lackluster history with third party titles does not bode well for the company.

"It's a huge issue that Nintendo dominates the platforms they own, as that's how they make all their money," he said. "We see the Wii having a higher installed base but the PS3 generating, by about 2010-11, more revenue in terms of software."

And he predicts PlayStation 3 will be ahead of Xbox 360 in total consoles sales as well.

""When you look at an installed base basis, the Xbox 360's going to come in third place when all's said and done," he explained. "The concern I would have with a company like Microsoft is, one of these days they're going to have to make a profit on this business otherwise why are they in it?"

http://www.ps3news.ca/06102008/22/analyst_ps3_will_generate_more_software_revenue_than_wii

This is exactly what I had predicted, I should become an analayst!

Around the Network

Wouldn't "Analyst: Third Parties Hate Money" be a more appropriate title?

Time for Nintendo fans to jump in to say this guy is an idiot!

Yeah, I agree with this!

PS3 will overtake the Wii in SW and HW by 2010

I don't believe this!

Around the Network

He is a fool ...

If you discount 1st party and 2nd party software then SONY might be ahead of Nintendo now but Nintendo will end up ahead in the long run due to shovelware ...

Not to mention the article discounts Microsoft who is right up there with SONY and Nintendo and in fact is ahead of the pack when it comes to third party software.

"at least one analyst believes that Sony will generate more revenue from software than Nintendo will in the long run."

At least one hey? In the long run hey? Even when it is intended to be good news, it still sounds bleak lol.

Just kiss the tip.

Obliterator1700 said:
Time for Nintendo fans to jump in to say this guy is an idiot!

Yeah, I agree with this!

Why so negative??

I really thinks its possible, simply because the wii has very bad 3rd party support and most of their big guns are already out, whereas the ps3 is just starting to release their blockbuster titles and has great 3rd party support.

The guy who made this prediction probably did some research/analysis before coming up with his prediction!

Cheer up son!

Congrats on posting an article that's over two months old that nobody (outside of a few PS3 fanboys) agrees with.

Another horrible thread by megaman2.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

"The concern I would have with a company like Microsoft is, one of these days they're going to have to make a profit on this business otherwise why are they in it?"

Haven't they been in the black for the last couple of quarters? Is there any sign of that letting up?

Just kiss the tip.