By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Itagaki Says PS3 Easier To Develop For Than Famicom!!

HappySqurriel said:

I bet $100,000,000 that if I gave 200 people 3 years to develop games for the Famicom I would have far more excellent games than if I put that exact same group towards developing PS3 games.

Well, wouldn't that be down to asset creation, and complexity of the games themselves.

Around the Network
megaman2 said:
xman said:
He sure didn't say it was easier than the 360, which is generally accepted. Of course the PS3 can be developed on its just currently the hardest system to develop for

I agree that the Ps3 may be harder to develop for, but some developers make it sound like they have to climb the mount everest, just to develop for the ps3!!

Look what Naughty Dog and Insomniac have managed to make aboslute stunning games in the start of the ps3 lifecycle, I dont hear them complain, and who can forget MGS4!

IMO Valva should not be making any games for making such a unprofessional comment!

Valve is going to eat those comments cause they will need the PS3 base some day so I agree with you there.  It can be programmed for I agree its just easier on the 360 because they stuck closer to the PC architecture.  It was a smart move on MS part easier to get third party support

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

SamuelRSmith said:
^ Yeah, you better damned be.

The reason why you never hear Insomniac or Naughty Dog complaining is because their games are being published by Sony. And, in the case of Naughty Dog, they are owned by Sony.

Both developers actually said that the initals stages of developing for the ps3 wee difficuly, because they had to get used to the new cell and the new tools. Sony actually included new development kits for developers too make it easier for them to develop for the ps3 while saving costs.

Just because Both developers develop for Sony, does not mean that mean that if they aren't satisfied with developing with the ps3 they will come out and say it my friend. This is how you make progress in business, receive feedback from developers albeit positive/negative and you fix it, simple!

megaman2 said:
SamuelRSmith said:

The reason why you never hear Insomniac or Naughty Dog complaining is because their games are being published by Sony. And, in the case of Naughty Dog, they are owned by Sony.

Both developers actually said that the initals stages of developing for the ps3 wee difficuly, because they had to get used to the new cell and the new tools. Sony actually included new development kits for developers too make it easier for them to develop for the ps3 while saving costs.

Just because Both developers develop for Sony, does not mean that mean that if they aren't satisfied with developing with the ps3 they will come out and say it my friend. This is how you make progress in business, receive feedback from developers albeit positive/negative and you fix it, simple!

I have been reading SOny has been helping thrid party developers more but that was in direct repsonse because one of the things MS does well is support third party developers also SOny didnt have to give so much support yto third party developers in the PS2 days cause third party developers had no choice they could not ignore the PS2 it was the only game in town

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

xman said:
megaman2 said:
SamuelRSmith said:

I have been reading SOny has been helping thrid party developers more but that was in direct repsonse because one of the things MS does well is support third party developers also SOny didnt have to give so much support yto third party developers in the PS2 days cause third party developers had no choice they could not ignore the PS2 it was the only game in town

But in those days developing for the ps2 was low risk and much easier compared to this gen! The ps2 assured developers that they could take risk because the install base was soo huge.

Around the Network

I wouldn't go that far, i think that the PS3 is "the hardest" but it is not near hard as it was on the PS2 or the Champion of all: The Saturn...

PS3 uses C, C++ and OpenGL as base, that 2 are well known tools, 360 uses the XNA based on .NET and DirectX, well known tools too, and a bit easier, Wii uses C and C++ with some libraries for the Wiimote... The hard thing (for all of them) is to do games that take full advantage (or at least most of it) of the hardware in question...

Saturn was definitely hard, every actual console and computer (and previous consoles with 3d engine) use as the primitive for graphics the triangles, well, the Saturn used quadrilaterals (which had advantages in 2D mostly, but in 3d was a real pain). The use of the two CPUs was royally difficult because of the lousy memory access, they didn't bring a decent library so everything was programmed in assembly, etc., i'll bet 10 to 1 to any developer to prove that the PS3 is harder than the Saturn...

megaman2 said:
SamuelRSmith said:

Yes, but if Naughty Dog felt like Valve on the situe, they wouldn't say anything about it, else Sony would gang-rape their arse.

Rule number one of capitalism: Don't bite the hand that feeds.

SamuelRSmith said:
megaman2 said:
SamuelRSmith said:

Yes, but if Naughty Dog felt like Valve on the situe, they wouldn't say anything about it, else Sony would gang-rape their arse.

Rule number one of capitalism: Don't bite the hand that feeds.

I agree, but both companies are professional if one is not happy with developing for the ps3, the sistuation will get sorted internally in a profesionall manners. As all businesses operate!

If you read the entire article, he also states that he is drunk and talks about how video games are like fighter jets.

Just kiss the tip.

Xen said:
Aye. Lazy devs better not dev at all.

you said it