By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - dispelling the common wii misconceptions

kevin the wiiite said:

too many people are mad because the wii doesn't have x thing that the ps3/xbox360 does. well, x thing almost always is possible.

1. myth: the wii internet channel sucks, typing takes forever, can't play internet videos, games, etc.

truth: you can plug a usb keyboard into the usb slots for faster typing, the internet channel can play many internet games via www.wiicade.com, and youtube works great.

2. myth: the wii has no hardcore games and the 1 or 2 that are available stink and have horrible online.

truth: check my sig. I prefer moh: heroes 2. It has 32 player online.

3. myth: the wii cannot play videos, dvds, or music.

truth: standard videos can be converted to mjpeg via wii video 9 (google it) and loaded to an sd card. from there, you can play any videos you loaded from the photo channel. dvds can now be played through a homebrew application called mplayer wii. music in the .m4a format can be played from the photo channel via workaround. first load all music to an sd card. then, go to the sd card side of the photo channel. then click on slideshow. go into the options menu and select a song to play in the background of the slideshow. when you select a song, it will start playing.

4. myth: the wii has no ED or HD functions.

if you buy a component cable you can get up to 480p widescreen. that's good enough for me.  Also, it is possible for the wii to do 1080 from the standpoint of hardware.  it needs a firmware update and a new sdk to allow that though, and nintendo is making enough money that they won't do hd until the wii 2 comes.

1. all the other consoles have the same controller, you can use wireless keyboards , usb keyboards and keyboard accesories.

2. online is laggy i own brawl, and 1 game its always a the exception, not many games have stellar online games yet, compared to the competition.

3. thats a work around, the wii as it comes it can't play mp3 or avi or any dvds.

its not a miscopection not everybody knows the workarounds to do them, by default it can't.

4. 480p is SD not hd, maybe good enough for not owners of a HD TV 720p 1080p but that doens't make it HD.

the wii games will never be 1080p.

and there are HD games on both ps3 and the xbox.

Ps3 wipeout HD and GT5pro.

xbox360: don't know a 360 yet can't comment.

Around the Network
kevin the wiiite said:

4. myth: the wii has no ED or HD functions.

if you buy a component cable you can get up to 480p widescreen. that's good enough for me.  Also, it is possible for the wii to do 1080 from the standpoint of hardware.  it needs a firmware update and a new sdk to allow that though, and nintendo is making enough money that they won't do hd until the wii 2 comes.

Care to back that up with a link (homebrew resource or official Nintendo statement would be best though I doubt the existence of the latter even more than of the former).

I would love the Wii to be able to do so, eve though it would not be powerful enough to do so while having a lot of things going on (hell, even the PS360 has most games at less than 720p to keep a good framerate with the amount of action going on onscreen; only technically simpler games like Super StardustHD or games that can pre-render a lot of things like GT5:P go to higher resolution) but it could allow for some sweet 2D 720p/1080p homebrew games.

"I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

the wii will be fine kevin dont worry!! it is easily gonna win this generation

I almost always use my Wii for going online (which is why I almost always use "^^^^" instead of quoting someone. I'm Wii-Remote posting right now. It's not too bad.☆○◇□△

hardly any uses wii for multimedia anyway

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
I almost always use my Wii for going online (which is why I almost always use "^^^^" instead of quoting someone. I'm Wii-Remote posting right now. It's not too bad.☆○◇□△

To quote someone.... click the quote button, but stop the rich text box loading. As soon as the page appears with the coded text click the cross, if any of the rich text field appears (white box with no code instead of greyed box) then you clicked too late and you have to reload the page and try again.

It used to be easier before ioi fixed the "only 33 posts per page" Opera problem.

would you guys stop implying stuff into what I'm saying? did I say 480 was hd? no. did I say the wii can output 1080p? no. what I meant with the fourth "misconception" is that the wii is capable of, albeit not very well, outputting an hd signal HARDWARE WISE. In the link http://wiinside.blogspot.com/2007/04/inside-wii.html it is stated that the only reason that games on the wii are resolution restricted BY THE SDK and not by the Hollywood GPU.

I'm not a fanboy, I just don't enjoy dual analog control.  It's d-pad or wii-mote for me.

the conduit has changed the way wii play games.

I know.  I'm sick of the puns too.

kevin the wiiite said:

would you guys stop implying stuff into what I'm saying? did I say 480 was hd? no. did I say the wii can output 1080p? no. what I meant with the fourth "misconception" is that the wii is capable of, albeit not very well, outputting an hd signal HARDWARE WISE. In the link http://wiinside.blogspot.com/2007/04/inside-wii.html it is stated that the only reason that games on the wii are resolution restricted BY THE SDK and not by the Hollywood GPU.

Except of course that it's framebuffer (2MB) is about 1/4 (slightly less) of what they'd need for a 1080P signal.

So no, the hardware can't put out a 1080P signal. It does not have enough memory to do so.

Yes the Wii is fantastic. So people don't like it. Let them not like it.

We (Wii Fans) aren't some army that has to go out and convince people to change their ways.

Also, if they made a Mozilla Wii browser, I would be happier.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

TBH I find the Opera browser on the Wii to be really rather nice.