By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - dispelling the common wii misconceptions

The only thing bad about the Internet Channel is its Flash Player 7. Some websites are on Flash Player 9 and the Wii can't run them (WWE.com)

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network

yah it would be cool if they updated the wii's internet channel. but going by the number of contractual obligations the first version had (think ds browser, point and click typing, etc.) I don't think opera will want to do internet channel 2.0.

It would be better if they were to have mozilla make firefox wii (like that's going to happen)

I'm not a fanboy, I just don't enjoy dual analog control.  It's d-pad or wii-mote for me.

the conduit has changed the way wii play games.

I know.  I'm sick of the puns too.

The Internet channel is useless if you have a computer.

Not playing music, dvd, etc. isn't a big deal. Who use a video console for multimedia anyway? I mean a Ipod is much better for music anyway. And DVD? DVD players are like 10$.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

Groucho said:

I kinda think you just supported all those "myths" with your choice of arguments. Homebrew isn't exactly an option for most Wii users, a couple of shooters don't really qualify as "a lot" or as a decent amount of variety, a USB keyboard (which all current gen consoles can use) doesn't make up for all the shortcomings of the Wii's browser, and every console of the last generation could output 480p with component cables.

<snip>

It's not exactly homebrew (well the DVD kind of is) the Wii does support some video files.... specifically the kind most digital cameras use (or at least mine uses)

Those are only examples... but I am not one to care for the whole "hardcore"/"casual" divide... I've said before that: for the most part, it depends not on the game but how you play it.... I play Endless Ocean like a hardcore gamer, Mario Kart is probably the best example of a bridge title which can be played as a hardcore game or casually. Meanwhile GTA and Halo are In my opinion very casual titles, in that most of the people who buy them are just pissing around on them.

The shortcomings of the Wii's browser are not so large as the ones on the PS3s browser or the lack of browser on X360.

And in Europe the GC could not output 480p, but it's not like I am bothered... 480p is mainly an option to stop the Wii looking worse on a HDtv than it does on SDtv (choice between 480i/p and 576i gives 3 options to try out and see which works best for the specific HD tv, because some HDtvs screw up different aspects of SD)

---

@Godot.... I use the internet channel all the time, even though I have a laptop sitting by my bed... the Wii browser is just as fast as my laptop to browse, and it loads up faster, and I don't have to have it sat on my knee.... so as long as I am not writing paragraphs a lot I am fine.

Also there are some cool flash games that support it.

You can play the helicopter game on the Wii.

Around the Network

I think only number 2 is a common Wii misconception and I don't think you dispelled that or that it can easily be dispelled with Nintendo choosing to release Wii Music rather than giving me my Pikmin 3

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

kevin the wiiite said:

too many people are mad because the wii doesn't have x thing that the ps3/xbox360 does.  well, x thing almost always is possible.

1.  myth: the wii internet channel sucks, typing takes forever, can't play internet videos, games, etc.

truth: you can plug a usb keyboard into the usb slots for faster typing, the internet channel can play many internet games via www.wiicade.com, and youtube works great.

Can't load cetain websites and is limited by Flash 7.

2. myth: the wii has no hardcore games and the 1 or 2 that are available stink and have horrible online.

truth: check my sig.  I prefer moh: heroes 2.  It has 32 player online.

Needs more M games, though.

3. myth: the wii cannot play videos, dvds, or music.

truth: standard videos can be converted to mjpeg via wii video 9 (google it) and loaded to an sd card.  from there, you can play any videos you loaded from the photo channel.  dvds can now be played through a homebrew application called mplayer wii.  music in the .m4a format can be played from the photo channel via workaround.  first load all music to an sd card.  then, go to the sd card side of the photo channel.  then click on slideshow.  go into the options  menu and select a song to play in the background of the slideshow.  when you select a song, it will start playing.

Still too hard for the casual user though.

4. myth: the wii has no ED or HD functions.

if you buy a component cable you can get up to 480p widescreen.  that's good enough for me.

It's still only 480p which is only ED, not HD.  It has no HD output at all which is 720p, 1080i, and 1080p.

kevin the wiiite said:

too many people are mad because the wii doesn't have x thing that the ps3/xbox360 does.  well, x thing almost always is possible.

1.  myth: the wii internet channel sucks, typing takes forever, can't play internet videos, games, etc.

truth: you can plug a usb keyboard into the usb slots for faster typing, the internet channel can play many internet games via www.wiicade.com, and youtube works great.

2. myth: the wii has no hardcore games and the 1 or 2 that are available stink and have horrible online.

truth: standard videos can be converted to mjpeg via wii video 9 (google it) and loaded to an sd card.  from there, you can play any videos you loaded from the photo channel.  dvds can now be played through a homebrew application called mplayer wii.  music in the .m4a format can be played from the photo channel via workaround.  first load all music to an sd card.  then, go to the sd card side of the photo channel.  then click on slideshow.  go into the options  menu and select a song to play in the background of the slideshow.  when you select a song, it will start playing.

if you buy a component cable you can get up to 480p widescreen.  that's good enough for me.

Kevin let me start by saying nice thread but someone could counter all your arguments with

1) The wii internet channel sucks, typing takes forever, can't play internet videos, games, etc... Thats basically true I shouldnt have to go get a USB keyboard to type on it so typing would take forever for the AVERAGE person who wouldnt go buy one.  Internet video games work but not well

2) MOH does have a great 32 player onlinemode but as you said 1 or 2 games you named one of the tow... .  Nintendo admits its online is limited cause thats the way they want it.  As a WII owner and 360 owner there is no comparison between the online capabilities of the WII vs the 360

3) Again the average person wants to stick on a DVD and play it, I agree a tech savy person can get it to work.  Most WII owners got one just to play not to download hombrew applications or covnert music to .M4a,  If I asked halp my friends (I am 38) what .M4a format was they would have no idea.

4)480p by deifntion is not HD may be ok for you but you have a 50 inch screen 480p looks bad.  

Dont get me wrong I love the WII has a lot of advantages over other consoles but it does have weaknesses also

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

1: sorry but I forgot to add something to my post on the wii not having hd. it has ED functions right now and also lacks digital sound, which it cannot have because of the issue with there being no place to plug in the cords. because the wii's component out port can do 480 through 1080 the wii actually can become hd, it just isn't right now. A firmware update should be able to allow for 1080 output. (but nintendo would never do anything like that when they're making a pile of money already)

2: also forgot to say that if you view hardcore as in mario, zelda, pikmin, animal crossing, etc., all of the above are either unofficially or officially announced. if you didn't hear, a nintendo rep at E3 said that pikmin, mario, and zelda games are all in development.

3: the internet channel is useless if you have a computer.  now there's a myth!  the tools to use javascript to record wii remote button presses and some waggles were leaked out of nintendo a few months ago.  So amateur programmers have been able to make wii games and post them on things like wiicade without voiding warranties, etc., instead of having to go through the whole nintendo developer thing.  also it is very fast, IT CAN USE A USB KEYBOARD (they're even making a special one for the wii with a home button), and I love point and click browsing, but hey, not everyone does, so that doesn't count as part of my argument.

I'm not a fanboy, I just don't enjoy dual analog control.  It's d-pad or wii-mote for me.

the conduit has changed the way wii play games.

I know.  I'm sick of the puns too.

xman said:
kevin the wiiite said:

Kevin let me start by saying nice thread but someone could counter all your arguments with

1) The wii internet channel sucks, typing takes forever, can't play internet videos, games, etc... Thats basically true I shouldnt have to go get a USB keyboard to type on it so typing would take forever for the AVERAGE person who wouldnt go buy one.  Internet video games work but not well

2) MOH does have a great 32 player onlinemode but as you said 1 or 2 games you named one of the tow... .  Nintendo admits its online is limited cause thats the way they want it.  As a WII owner and 360 owner there is no comparison between the online capabilities of the WII vs the 360

3) Again the average person wants to stick on a DVD and play it, I agree a tech savy person can get it to work.  Most WII owners got one just to play not to download hombrew applications or covnert music to .M4a,  If I asked halp my friends (I am 38) what .M4a format was they would have no idea.

4)480p by deifntion is not HD may be ok for you but you have a 50 inch screen 480p looks bad.  

Dont get me wrong I love the WII has a lot of advantages over other consoles but it does have weaknesses also

You can't argue: "need to buy a keyboard which most won't therefore it sucks"

The same (non)issue is present on PS3, and you don't even get a browser on X360.