By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - dispelling the common wii misconceptions

how hard is it to take your usb keyboard out of your computer for browsing and plug it back in when your done? can't argue with that logic

I'm not a fanboy, I just don't enjoy dual analog control.  It's d-pad or wii-mote for me.

the conduit has changed the way wii play games.

I know.  I'm sick of the puns too.

Around the Network

I just lol'ed at Groucho's End of 08 and End of 09 predictions.

Sorry if this was off-topic, but DAMN.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

TWRoO said:
xman said:
kevin the wiiite said:

too many people are mad because the wii doesn't have x thing that the ps3/xbox360 does.  well, x thing almost always is possible.

1.  myth: the wii internet channel sucks, typing takes forever, can't play internet videos, games, etc.

truth: you can plug a usb keyboard into the usb slots for faster typing, the internet channel can play many internet games via www.wiicade.com, and youtube works great.

2. myth: the wii has no hardcore games and the 1 or 2 that are available stink and have horrible online.

truth: check my sig.  I prefer moh: heroes 2.  It has 32 player online.

3. myth: the wii cannot play videos, dvds, or music.

truth: standard videos can be converted to mjpeg via wii video 9 (google it) and loaded to an sd card.  from there, you can play any videos you loaded from the photo channel.  dvds can now be played through a homebrew application called mplayer wii.  music in the .m4a format can be played from the photo channel via workaround.  first load all music to an sd card.  then, go to the sd card side of the photo channel.  then click on slideshow.  go into the options  menu and select a song to play in the background of the slideshow.  when you select a song, it will start playing.

4. myth: the wii has no ED or HD functions.

if you buy a component cable you can get up to 480p widescreen.  that's good enough for me.

Kevin let me start by saying nice thread but someone could counter all your arguments with

1) The wii internet channel sucks, typing takes forever, can't play internet videos, games, etc... Thats basically true I shouldnt have to go get a USB keyboard to type on it so typing would take forever for the AVERAGE person who wouldnt go buy one.  Internet video games work but not well

2) MOH does have a great 32 player onlinemode but as you said 1 or 2 games you named one of the tow... .  Nintendo admits its online is limited cause thats the way they want it.  As a WII owner and 360 owner there is no comparison between the online capabilities of the WII vs the 360

3) Again the average person wants to stick on a DVD and play it, I agree a tech savy person can get it to work.  Most WII owners got one just to play not to download hombrew applications or covnert music to .M4a,  If I asked halp my friends (I am 38) what .M4a format was they would have no idea.

4)480p by deifntion is not HD may be ok for you but you have a 50 inch screen 480p looks bad.  

Dont get me wrong I love the WII has a lot of advantages over other consoles but it does have weaknesses also

You can't argue: "need to buy a keyboard which most won't therefore it sucks"

The same (non)issue is present on PS3, and you don't even get a browser on X360.

I can argue that cause the system dosent come with the keyboard, I dont think any console browsing works very well to be honest.  Though I dont buy a console to browse the web either.

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

kevin the wiiite said:

how hard is it to take your usb keyboard out of your computer for browsing and plug it back in when your done? can't argue with that logic

But the browsing through my firefox broswer compared to my computer would make me not unplug it and just broswe on the computer..

Please dont get me wrong think the WII is a fantastic system

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

xman said:
kevin the wiiite said:

But the browsing through my firefox broswer compared to my computer would make me not unplug it and just broswe on the computer..

Please dont get me wrong think the WII is a fantastic system

I think you might be missing the point.... a browser on a console is an EXTRA FEATURE..... no nitwit is going to buy a Wii as their primary browser.

The browser should be compared to it's competition, which is the PS3s browser.

If I were to review the Wii's browser it would be against the PS3s browser, with mentions about the DS and PSP browser.
I would likely state it's shortcomings against a PC based browser, but it wouldn't be marked down becase of it.

Around the Network
kevin the wiiite said:

too many people are mad because the wii doesn't have x thing that the ps3/xbox360 does. well, x thing almost always is possible.

1. myth: the wii internet channel sucks, typing takes forever, can't play internet videos, games, etc.

truth: you can plug a usb keyboard into the usb slots for faster typing, the internet channel can play many internet games via www.wiicade.com, and youtube works great.

2. myth: the wii has no hardcore games and the 1 or 2 that are available stink and have horrible online.

truth: check my sig. I prefer moh: heroes 2. It has 32 player online.

3. myth: the wii cannot play videos, dvds, or music.

truth: standard videos can be converted to mjpeg via wii video 9 (google it) and loaded to an sd card. from there, you can play any videos you loaded from the photo channel. dvds can now be played through a homebrew application called mplayer wii. music in the .m4a format can be played from the photo channel via workaround. first load all music to an sd card. then, go to the sd card side of the photo channel. then click on slideshow. go into the options menu and select a song to play in the background of the slideshow. when you select a song, it will start playing.

4. myth: the wii has no ED or HD functions.

if you buy a component cable you can get up to 480p widescreen. that's good enough for me. Also, it is possible for the wii to do 1080 from the standpoint of hardware. it needs a firmware update and a new sdk to allow that though, and nintendo is making enough money that they won't do hd until the wii 2 comes.

i thought hd started at 780p?

The main reason the Wii browser is awful relates more to the resolution then anything else. They really should add some option, ANY option for upscaling to at least 720p. I tried plugging the Wii into a receiver that unconverted it to 1080p but that had limited success. It can't cost THAT much to just add HDMI and some limited upscaling can it?

For those who think resolution isn't a big deal put your monitors resolution down to 600x800 and try to use it. I think 720p resolution would fix more of the complaints about the Wiis graphics then any other single change (including more processor power).

Yes HD really does start at 720p, the Wii is more EDTV then anything else.  I got the component cables back when they were brand new and 50 dollars on ebay and they really made just a marginal difference.  Even with better transmission 480p is still just 480p.

I was REALLY disapointed with Nintendo on this one.  Remember last generation when they were the ONLY one with HD output on their console (until they removed it becuase not enough were using it at the time, they were a bit early to the HD party then and now they're a bit late)?  How times have changed for the worse on that front :-/.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

Am i wrong or 360 and PS3 are not really HD, how many games do support 1080p on good framerate?

trestres said:
I just lol'ed at Groucho's End of 08 and End of 09 predictions.

Sorry if this was off-topic, but DAMN.

He expects Wii to sell only 7 million the whole of 2009!!!!?????!!!!!  If that isn't the most rubbish prediction ever I don't know what is.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Lolcislaw said:
Am i wrong or 360 and PS3 are not really HD, how many games do support 1080p on good framerate?

Offhand all i can think of is GT5:p

I know there are probably others out there too, but not many

Proud Sony Rear Admiral